User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2006, 12:43 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I agree with alot of which you say sheepdancer.

People in general, not just drivers bitch about things. Separation from family is a fact of life in the OTR industry and I believe is the number 1 thing that causes %140 turnover. Rookies have to understand the concept of "earning ones stripes" their first year and it's real tough, not just money-wise, but being away from family is tough emotionally, it certainly has taken a toll on my marriage. Since I've switched to Crete the money has gotten much better and I have to make a decision to take a local job that pays $500-600 week vs. where I'm at now is $1000.

"Some people are against drunk driving, and I call those people "the cops." But you know, sometimes, you've just got no choice; those kids gotta get to school. " Dave Attell
Old 09-25-2006, 12:46 AM
Senior Board Member

OK all.....I am active duty Navy with over 21 years of service. Soon I will be retiring and starting my second career as an OTR driver. For the past couple of years I have conducted as much research as humanly possible.
Read countless websites, forums, talked to recruiters and drivers.

Although I want the honest unadulterated truth about the business, I get so tired of hearing the same old negative stuff about lack of pay, gone from home for what they (some drivers) believe is long periods etc.

If they think the pay and time away from home is bad, then they need to try the military. The pay in the military is not all that great. Sure we get some other benefits to help offset it, but at 21+ years, I am making what a solo OTR with a couple of years experience would make on average.

And for those that think spending 2, 3 or even 4 weeks away from home is bad????......LOL.... try being away from home for an average of 6-8 months at a time (that is Navy, other branches can be longer).

And while we are out to sea, we are working 16-18 hours a day, 7 days a week!!! Let them try that schedule and see how they like it....oh, and in the military we have no HOS...lol

One thing that all my research has showed me is that being a OTR driver, it is NOT a job, but rather a lifestyle.....

Sorry to ramble on, its just hard enough for us "wannabes" to try and sift through all the information to determine what is fact and what may have been embellished and these guys that complain about trivial crap really gets on my nerves.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrooperRat
Both companies are equally horrible.
Both companies use recruiters, as all of the big ones do, that will lie through their teeth to get you into their system.
JBHunt trucks are governed at a maximum 62 mph, I think Swift is set at 65.
Anyway about it, entering the trucking industry nowadays must be a hell I am glad I will never have to go through.
I have found that the best jobs are with the companies who are not trucking company, instead, they have their own fleets of trucks to deliver the products they are selling.
I am currently working for a company that gives me the same benefits as everyone else in the company (everyone else being non-drivers/management), including 8 paid holidays, 2 weeks per year vacation, 1 week sick leave, and 3 personal days. All paid. Try to find THAT from ANY trucking company, good luck. 401k, stock options, allowed to use truck for personal use, huge company parties that are totally awesome, cool working atmosphere, GREAT pay, home every night, in fact, I get very good money and work 8 hours a day, no weekends. Buy anything the company sells - which is a HUGE array of household items, AT COST plus 5%, which is FAR better than wholesale prices. Freebies galore, every day, plus the eventual opportunity to get completely OUT of trucking, which is my goal - the company has a "culture", they call it, of promoting from within. For those experienced drivers that are wondering WHAT this place is, it's Ferguson Enterprises, they are in all 50 states, their parent company, Wolseley, had 20.8 BILLION in sales last year. Plumbing, waterworks, appliances, Fire, heating cooling divisions and more.

This is for anyone with any experience. If you are tired of bs, working your behind off, getting shafted in the process, and are looking for a GOOD job, THIS is the company to come to. Yes, it is hourly, and yes, they will lowball you, offering you $15 per hour to start, but if you have enough experience, they WILL pay MUCH more. Just have to talk them into it : ) BTW, I'm just a driver, I don't get anything for that freebie promo for them. They are mostly unknown, except for the industries they are serving, because they do very little advertising. This company rocks. I haul large and small pipe and all the accessories/commodities that go with it - drive semi's, International 4400's, small stakebed trucks, even company pickups, whatever they want, that I do, it all pays the same. I LOVE going HOME ---- EVERY DAY!

But, I paid the price to get there. You will have to, too, if you are serious. Personally, if I WERE to drive for one of these lying trucking companies again, I would get all of their promises both on tape and in writing. I would bypass these recruiters, call the company, ask for management and get some REAL information. You can ask other drivers, but sometimes even they don't give you correct information. Remember, recruiters only business is to bring you to the company they are "currently" working for. They don't CARE what they tell you, the falsify information, the way over-exaggerate, and basically offer you heaven. What you end up with, of course, is ALWAYS something very different. I don't like ANY of them, so you won't get any good references from me, but I will say that on the top 3 list of the ones I REALLY hate is J.B.Hunt, Werner Enterprises and Swift.

For the future, if you make it through all of this, get some experience under your belt, remember Ferguson Enterprises, they're in the phone book, and, as I said, they are in all 50 states.
Nothing wrong with Ferguson, Wosely is a good company, I was recruited by them after college. Benefits were ok, pay wasnt that great. The stock hasnt been doing too well lately. But hey, Im glad you got a job, you love.
I would hope you are making more than 15 bucks an hour now. To me it just sounded like you didnt want to be a long haul truck driver for a career. Nothing wrong with that. A lot of truck drivers love being OTR and spending time out on the road seeing the country
Thats the great thing about this country....the FREEDOM to CHOOSE your career.
By the way...most big companies have the "promote from within" policies. That is not just exclusive to Ferguson. We have 100s of ex drivers in our corporate offices. In fact two of our Corporate VPs started out as drivers for us.
As far as recruiters like me offering you "heaven" and lying.(ok here goes my long rant...lol) As a recruiter the only thing I will tell a driver is the averages. IF he asks what the most successful drivers make...I will tell them. Now....as a recruiter....if I hire two drivers the same day on the same job....tell them both the exact same things. And then one fails and the other one does great. The one who failed would call me a liar...the one who succeeded will know the truth. Whats the difference? The one who succeeded just had the right attitude for the job and did what it took to succeed. This is the same for all careers....even mine. Hell, we go through a lot of recruiters. Not everyone can do this job. Its stressful and tough. Some people come on as recruiters and barely make minimum wage. They dont last. In fact if you would ask them today, they would say its the worse job in the world and advise people not to do it. Good thing Im not one of those people who listen to those who fail at jobs. I found out a long time ago these simple truths: If you want to know the truth about a job ask those who succeeded, not those who failed. If you want to succeed at a job, learn and model your work habits after those who succeeded, not those who failed. Trucking is no different. Take JB hunt. We have a driver here who has been here for 19 years. Right now he has over 2 million in his 401K. He still drives and is very happy. If he did it and many others are on the way to doing that....why cant all drivers? The answer: Not all drivers are willing to do what it takes to get where he is. I rarely mention him while im recruiting, honestly, because a lot of drivers just dont seem to care about 401K ( I dont know why this is) But I have a question for you. Say I was trying to recruit you and brought him up. Would you catagorize that as feeding you BS and lying to you about a little "slice of heaven"? Maybe its just me, but if im looking into a new career at a new place, I would want to know exactly what the TOP PERSON in that job was making and what he was doing to make that happen. It would give me a GOAL to shoot for and a career plan. As a recruiter, I want every one of my drivers to do well. The drivers I hire that do well refer more drivers to me and we both make money. Referals are what makes one recruiter better that others. It really does me no good at all to lie to a driver. First of all, they will tell you exactly what the job is in orientation. If a driver leaves orientation, I dont make squat. Secondly, Like i said, A huge portion on my paycheck come from referals from other drivers Ive hired. Why would I kill that huge source of income by lying?
I have no idea why you didnt do well over here. I dont know your story. But I will tell you this. If I as a recruiter tells a driver what our average miles are, what our pay is and what an AVERAGE driver makes over here. I dont just make up those numbers. They are truly our average. And then I tell that driver what some of our above average drivers make over here. Then the driver comes over here and doesnt make the average. I DIDNT LIE. Perhaps the driver was just below average for this job. (not everyone is taylor made for every job) Once again this isnt exclusive to the trucking industry...this is the same for all jobs. Remember 50% of people are always going to be below average with any job. Personally, I love working in a career where Im paid way more that someone that doesnt work as well as me. (the people at the bottom of any job always think the job sucks and the people at the top always think the job is great) Personally, I would hate to work in some hourly postition where everyone is paid equally no matter how hard they work or how much they go the extra mile.

Man....my rants are getting longer and longer.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Bravo.........very well put!!!!

Every job or career is what YOU make it to be.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Devildice,

I work as a civilian contractor to the Air Force. I talk to young military guys all the time with visions of big paychecks working as a civilian to the government. I sit each of these guys down that is willing to listen and start rattling off the benefits of the check they are getting in the military and when it is all said and done with the tax benefits and access to BX, commisary, housing etc these guys take home more than I do as a civilian as an E6(and I am a pretty well paid IT guy). A huge portion of your income is sheltered from taxes. The good news is that you have been in long enough to retire so you won't be walking away emty handed like a lot of these youngs guys would be. But I think you will be shocked how much Uncle Sam taketh away as a civilian. What I am getting at is you actually take home a good check being in the military if you have been around for a while. You will see what I mean once you retire. Just make sure you enroll in TriCare for your health coverage. Health insurance and your benefits costs are killer as a civilian. BTW, Thanks for your service to this wonderful country of ours!

Your right, compared to TDY's and remote tours driving a truck is nothing in comparison. You have to remember though that isn't the norm for most people in the military to be gone TDY or on remote tours all the time either(it seems to be feast or famine). With trucking this is your day in and day out job and existence. So the reason people mention it so often is because it does get old. There isn't a break from it really so it just wears you down after a while. Also depending on the company your with they will push you as hard and as long as you can take it. This is why people are mentioning this so frequently. That is why it is in your best interests to ask about hometime policy and to find out from drivers if they have any issues getting home if they need or want to. Trust me these same companies will run you as hard as you could possibly want, but when you decide you need a break or want to go home you want to know that the company is going to listen and honor your request. BOL

Longsnowsm
Old 09-25-2006, 02:12 AM
Rookie

Dear Mr. Sheepdancer
Quite some time ago, I caught you, on this forum, in your lies and "crap". You ARE a smartass, and that's a fact. The account was the Diversified Roofing account in Phoenix, the tractors, almost all of them, were 6, 7 and going on 8 year old tractors. Tired, worn out, pieces of junk. You are a typical recruiter, but you come on here and act as if all recruiters are lily white angels. I have heard your bs story several times, it's all smoke and mirrors.

The fact is, you are working for a LOSER company.

I am working for a GREAT company, which makes J.B.Hunt look like a toilet with dung in it. Take a look at Wolseley, with 20.8 BILLION in sales generated in 2005. I have more benefits than YOU do, and you aren't a trucker, and you certainly don't have a clue. You just come on here and continue to spout off, day after day, luring drivers into J.B.Hunt's system.
Great, if they like it, if not, they have wasted a lot of time, and MOST drivers that come into J.B.Hunt end up HATING it.

I don't CARE how J.B. Hunt started out. I don't NEED to go start a trucking company, I am not working for a trucking company, I would never work for a trucking company ever again.

Trucking companies don't CARE about the drivers, they only care about the bottom line - how many dollar bills they can line their wallets with at the expense of the drivers that are sacrificing their lives, day in and day out, while they are NOT sacrificing their lives, day in and day out, on the road, living in a truck, eating out, away from loved ones.

I work for a company that has it's own fleet of trucks, in fact, they have MORE trucks than J.B. Hunt. But my company isn't a trucking company, it's a company that uses trucks to deliver the products it sells. It's a FAR superior company than J.B.Hunt, and MUCH larger. My company treats it's employees, all of them including the drivers, like human beings. I am making FAR more money than your J.B.Hunt drivers make, guaranteed, and I only work 44 hours per week, no weekends, home every day, with benefits out the yahoo.

Please attempt to tell me that your company gives out 8 paid holidays, 2 weeks paid vacation, 1 week sick leave and 3 days personal time for new hires. I don't live on the road, and I don't have to listen to YOUR BS, because you are like all the rest of them: LIARS.

Thanks for trying, but you aren't even in the same ballpark, in fact, you aren't in the same LEAGUE.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice
And for those that think spending 2, 3 or even 4 weeks away from home is bad????......LOL.... try being away from home for an average of 6-8 months at a time (that is Navy, other branches can be longer).
Thanks for your service to our country.
That being said... last I checked this is a trucking forum not a military one. If being away from my wife and son for 2-3 weeks at a time bothers me, why would I care if someone in the military is gone for months?

And you think our gripes are trivial? LOL wait until you get out there in the real world. Shippers and recievers treat you like dog dung, crowded, smelly truckstops with long lines at the register, crappy bacteria-infested showers and crapper stalls, terrible food, sitting for hours on end,your co-workers driving like idiots (not just 4-wheelers) DOT (need I say more?). You'll see.

"Some people are against drunk driving, and I call those people "the cops." But you know, sometimes, you've just got no choice; those kids gotta get to school. " Dave Attell
Old 09-25-2006, 02:23 AM
Senior Board Member

I don't see the reason for such a vicious post against somebody you don't even know. If you don't like JB Hunt then get over it. There are lies in any job or career but people find out for themselves and go on to bigger and better things. We are professional drivers on this board so lets stop all the personal attacks that have been happening on the board. PM each other or talk face to face. We are all showing news drivers who come on the board that we cant even get along with each other.

lets try to give honest opinions of companies we have worked for then new drivers and can make there own decision on who to work for because they are here seeking advice from professionals
Old 09-25-2006, 02:36 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Trucking companies don't CARE about the drivers, they only care about the bottom line

Wrong and Your Attack was over the Top.
Chill
Old 09-25-2006, 02:51 AM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
lets try to give honest opinions of companies we have worked for then new drivers and can make there own decision on who to work for because they are here seeking advice from professionals
Thank you....as a soon to be newbie, that's all I want.....PROFESSIONAL, honest opinions.