View Poll Results: If starting out new, Who would you go with?
Werner 6 40.00%
Swift 9 60.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2006, 07:39 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Werner vs Swift

I'm currently enrolled in a CDL Training school and will graduate soon. At this time, I have set an orientation with Werner and just got a call from Swift.

I was wondering if any veteran drivers could offer any advice as to which one would be a better choice for a Single man with no Children just starting out in the industry.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:02 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Poll

You should put up a third choice, "neither". You also don't state whether you're interested in dry van, reefer, flatbed, etc. BOL
Old 02-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Senior Board Member

I'm currently with swift and due to take my final road test tonight. I'd go for swift but as long as they give you enough BTW time I'd say stick where you are at. Eather way you'll get the training and after about a year you might find you like where your at. I'd give their training a chance and everyones choices will vary by preference and experience.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Personally, I'd vote "neither".

Have'nt driven for Werner, but did years ago for Swift....

But out of curiosity...since you live in OK...why are you limiting your choices?
Is it for tuition re-imbursement?

If thats not a deal breaker....you should look at CFI.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 02-23-2006, 02:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Wow, this one is a real cliffhanger. They're running neck and neck, could come down to hanging chads and a supreme court decision. It's kinda interesting that a poll about two of the biggest companies has tallied 7 votes in 2 1/2 days. That might tell you something...

My opinion is that a single man with no children could just about have his pick of the litter. No need to limit yourself to just 2 companies no matter what 2 companies they are.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:10 PM
Senior Board Member

As far as I'm concerned, the real question should be " Which company sucks the loudest?? "
:?

With Jerry Moyes gone, I guess things could get better at Swift, now that they've sent his sorry a$$ packin'!!!
:moose:

I really hope that when that P.O.:dung: dies, he takes a window unit air conditioner with him, and when he reaches his final destination, I hope like hell it doesn't work!!
:P
Peace,
A Rather Grumped Out Useless
Old 02-24-2006, 08:09 PM

i myself have signed with werner......they seemed to fit me most....you gotta start somewhere anyway.........i talked to a swift driver who deliverd to kmart and no way would i unload one of them trucks...it took him 3 hours and he had to keep taking the racks outa his truck every 10 ft... so they could send up a pallet jack on a forklift pull a skid to front of trailer.. then forklift gets the skid....then they get the jack down.....then he backs back up...loads all the racks back in ......gets another 10 ft....another skid ...and he has to do it all over again
Old 02-25-2006, 01:57 AM
Senior Board Member

I'm a current driver over at Swift. I started with them originally a while ago, left to explore other options, and returned to the company.

Things are changing over here at Swift - and from what I can tell, they are for the better. The company is finally beginning to cut some of the excess out, and control their crazy growth (in other words, finally getting the infrastructure in place they've needed for years) I drove team for a while with a former Werner driver (he quit to come over to Swift), and one of my best friends used to work for them. I can't speak for them personally, but from what I've heard, I'd still choose Swift again if just starting out (and I had it rough from the beginning).

By the way stanger, if that's how that driver was unloading his truck, he was doing it all wrong. 99% of Kmart freight is floor loaded in small boxes. Stores have rollers that will go all the way to the rear of a 53' box, all the small freight is sent down them, then after that the driver tailgates any pallets. I ran Kmart dedicated for a while. That said, since I got away from Kmart loads, I've only ever once hand unloaded a trailer....all other times the company has paid for lumper services when needed, or the consignee takes care of it.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Hey, this poll is building momentum. The votes have doubled in the last 2 days. Still seems extremely low for 2 mega carriers though...

What tndieselgrl is saying is what I keep hearing everywhere, things are changing at Swift. Don't know if it's true or not, time will tell. What I see with Swift is what I've seen with numerous companies in other industries. When a company is that large often times the right doesn't know what the left hand is doing and vice versa. Especially when a company grows so fast in such a short length of time. It usually results in a huge disarray. Some companies recover quickly, some slowing and some never do. We'll just have to see where Swift falls, but one thing I do know, until they get rid of the recruiters that are bold-faced liars things will never improve. They're not alone in this by far, but the Swift recruiter is the worst one I've seen yet.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:20 AM
Senior Board Member

I'll atest to that statement. Swift is changeing, from what I can see, it's for the beter. I can say my recruter told the truth for the most part but I did run into many that were lied to to the best of my knowledge. I like what I see at swift but thats a mater of preference, plus the fact that I won't actualy get with my mentor till this next friday might have something to do with it. We'll see if I still hold this optomisitc view once I'm OTR. For right now I'm just happy to have my CDL and ready to learn and keep an open mind.