Old 04-17-2013, 01:26 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122 View Post
cd....I thought that I read this the other day in this thread but can't find it: Loads that are offered out at 80CPM? Holy shiite! That barely covers fuel! How do they get people to pull loads like that? Seriously. I don't understand this.

I hope your luck and momentum pick up this week. B

I would not embarrass myself by offering a truck a rate that low. I saw one earlier that paid $0.63/mile. I am guessing that it was a partial, but didn't pay much attention when I saw the rate.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:59 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I got a call from a recruiter from CRST Malone yesterday. They call every few months. He told me that the company has made a few changes and they now require all owner operators who lease on to install an EOBR in their trucks. I believe he said the cost was about $200 plus a weekly fee. I told him that I would not be interested, just because of the EOBR. He said that they are getting prepared for when they will be mandated in a year. I told him that I would wait until they are actually required before I would spend money on something that I neither wanted or needed. I think that there is an exemption if you have 50 or fewer trucks. I still run my authority, but I would not want to lease to any carrier that required EOBR's, especially when it was not yet mandated. If a carrier requires that all owner operators install EOBR's, I wonder if that would change the owner operators classification from independent contractor to employee? Landstar also requires any owner operator who leases on to them to install an EOBR. Malone requires the owner operator to buy their unit and the cost is deducted from their sign on bonus. I was told that Landstar pays for the unit, but you still must pay a monthly usage fee.

It would be interesting to know if an owner operator who leases to either of these carriers could legally be required to install an EOBR and if so, if that would change the independent contractor classification.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Big brother is watching you.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:19 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

GDOG are you leased to anyone now or just running on your own authority?

63CPM????? A new all time low! JEez!!

Old 04-19-2013, 10:23 PM
Board Icon

Wow. This has been an interesting read. Elation to Deflation in 4 weeks. I'm not really going to comment on any of it (yet,) as I am STILL digesting and "learning" from it.

I am mostly surprised by Belpre's comments. I was expecting some "coolie carrier" comments... since he drove for them. But, perhaps I didn't realize that he was a lessee. Or, did he just want to be? IDK.

I wish the best for you CDREID. And I appreciate your info. You've told me more in a few weeks (a few hours of reading,) than many others hear have told me in 8 years.

I wish I could comment. I HAVE some questions. But, since I am biding my time before making ANY kind of jump towards O/O or L/O... I'm trying to stay quiet and listen for now.

But.... I would have paid the $10 to let that guy that roams the truckstops fix that "ding" in my windshield BEFORE it became a DOT write-up... and/or a major expense not paid for by CRST. Just sayin'
Old 04-20-2013, 01:45 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122 View Post
GDOG are you leased to anyone now or just running on your own authority?

63CPM????? A new all time low! JEez!!

I still run my own authority, if you are talking to me. It is amazing at some of the low rates I see from time to time.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:27 AM
Board Regular

Things turned around a bit. Ive just had some horrible freaking luck. I was on the edge of walking. I was going to give it 2 more weeks. Thing is i knew it wasnt malones fault and not really mine either. There were times i could have maybe grabbed something i didnt that would have made me 150 or so to the truck just to be moving but frankly if you have to do that youre business is going to fail anyway.

The .80 and $1 a mile loads were almost all off the landstar board. A fleet manager told me they only even look on that when someone desperately just needs out. We have a TINY number of loads like that. And we get lumber loads posted. I wont run lumber. The ONLY way i would is if i were really really stuck somewhere it pays nothing. Ive been running some steel pipe and coils. Still dont like coils but these were good loads. This truck cannot deal with heavy though. I MISS my CAT!!!!!!! From what im seeing youd be better off sacrificing the fuel mileage for cats power in flatbed. especially because some of these places have wet dreams of loading you with 48k. I laugh when a broker says anything over 46. 42k or so is my usual preferred max unless it pays VERY well.

Anyway i got a load to roanoke that paid 2.15 a mile to the truck or so. God i forgot how bad 64 etc are through va/wva. Hate running there and i was crawling up those hills. Plus they have that 1 toll every 4 miles bs up there whcih they do NOT use to fix the damn road. Loading and unloading were pleasant. World of difference when shippers/recievers are miserable *******s vs nice guys. Usually that translates directly to north vs south. Northerners seem to know they live in hell :P (j/k guys)

Anyway good settlement this week. I turned in 5 trips. One was supposed to be on last week i think. All short trips 350-400 miles. Cleared 1400 which came just in time my bills collectors were getting calls from their bill collectors :P Got a load of metal pipe i was hesitant about from lynchburg to council bluffs iowa that delviers monday morningish. Pay is about 2 a mile. Have a load locked up coming back to NC with 5 stops that ends in greenville sc 60 miles from my house or so. Im going to leave between 3 and 8am this morning and hammer down. Torn on going up to 64 or just taking 40. This load is a bear. Probably take 40. Went 200 miles out of route to go home. Not sitting in iowa for 2 days and burning 50 bucks worth of fuel, spending 50+ on supplies to save the 160 in costs. Worth 60 bucks to get home in my book any day. i dont think a lot of o/o's calculate things this way and end up staying out a lot for basically pocket change. This load pays a like 1.80 a mile on 1100+ miles if i remember. 1200+ real miles plus the 200 deadhead. Almost 1400 actual miles total. Anyway im expecting after all costs including all deadhead and extra fuel i should get 800-900 to the truck from this run which pays for the truck this week. I've completely forgotten what the run back pays but it's something lik1 1.8 to 2 a mile + 250 stop pay. Guessing 13-1400 real miles and 1200-1300 paid miles so top of my head maybe 1100 in expenses for around 2000-2200 gross so i should net a grand-ish to the truck on this run. That would mean this settlement should net me 1000-1100. Note i always overestimate costs and underestimate my net. Learned that running my first business too few business owners get that. Say 25 hours driving and 3 days of unloading i should be in greenville thursday or maybe even wednesday if i get lucky and the recievers arent slackasses. If wednesday i might take a short run to ohio then back down to sc which would send this settlement through the roof. Knowing my luck though wont happen and at BEST ill find something out to nashville or charlotte and back. Ill probably just go home when i get back from iowa. I never really planned on making this much money and dont really "need" it.

Also: bought a 32" hdtv for the truck lmao. i dunno kept thinking about a 24 or a 21 buck heck this was on sale for 25 bucks more than those. Getting a 1500 watt cont inverter off craigslist supposed to meet the guy in the morning. but this tv is 100 watts.. dont need it so ill have someone go meet him and take off early so i dont have to run hard. Now to figure out how to mount the damn thing. Dont think it's gonna fit in the cubbyhole!! Thinking about mounting it on the pedestal that holds up the upper bunk or something. Maybe build a wooden mount and screw it to the bottom of the bunk. Want some kinda shock absorbers. also decided im getting a sattelite because. well why not. Make you feel at home having real tv.

I'm not down now i'm excited again. For the first time EVER in trucking my truck feels like home and i dont feel like a panicky prisoner running away to get home. It's sat night and my friends are waiting on me to hang out and.. im sitting here and wishing i hadnt told them i would so i could take off now. Still hate freightliners btw and the one difference with a columbia is they seem to sway and bounce more though quieter/smoother. They aint petes or prostars! Anyway.. i realised when i was so stressed that if i quit i wouldnt be quitting a lease or malone.. they were never the problem (except they should put EVERY lease truck in a shop and have everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!! fixed before they give it to a lease driver!). I realised i'd be quitting o/o because this IS o/o. The only difference is a: they take 25% plus maintenance is high and b: i have a support system with basically a line of credit for fuel etc and "free" factoring. if you calculate the cost of factoring maline is really only taking 15% plus their ridiculous maintenance.

It's a good day. And thank you all for the words you dont know what they mean or how theyve helped. Seriously you cannot imagine how much the support here helped. bless you all
Old 04-21-2013, 09:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdreid View Post
i never really planned on making this much money and dont really "need" it.
i lol

Old 04-22-2013, 12:51 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You may not need the extra money right now, but you will need it later. If you don't want it, I will give you my address and you can send it to me.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:11 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

We hadn't heard from you in a few days. Glad to hear that things are picking up and you are finding your groove! I remember running 64 from Charleston over to the Virginia border a couple of years ago in a smooth bore tanker hauling lime slurry. That was a wake up call! I'm used to a 4-5 compartment gas tanker that is either full or empty. 3/4 full and smooth bore was a challenge, to say the least across 64.......I don't miss that.

If lumber is at the low end of the pay spectrum. What type of product pays premium? Can you book your own loads and do you get the fuel surcharge in full, or is it figured in with the load when booked through CRST/Malone? What is (are) the issue with coils? Does it pay well?

GMAN: In reference to the 63cpm payday you were talking about. What is this "partial" that you were referring to? I'm still trying to understand how a load like that would ever move. That really doesn't even cover fuel. I've heard tell that a fuel tanker with all permits/insurance etc., to include a well compensated driver, can run upwards of $5.00 a mile to operate. I'm just guessing that a driver would take something like that only after having a high paying load to a destination, and then having to bite it to get out of there by taking a load for a (loss?). Now that sounds like truckin!

CD.....glad you're hanging in there. Keep charging forward! On a side note. You'll have to excuse our longtime CAD family member, Golfhobo. He has had this ongoing obsession and fascination with coolie carriers for as long as I can remember. I will have a talk with GMAN to see if we can possibly find him some help.

Have a safe and profitable week. B