User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Ok...and your point is ??? And yes, I am glad that California is not a "right to work" state....MY point was just about the few Pepsi drivers I know...If you want to start one of those "I don't like union threads" forget it, I don't waste my time on that crap. I retire in a little over 2 months with a very healthy pension, so let's just not do that dance. I don't need to justify anything....
Old 05-12-2007, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feederfred
Ok...and your point is ??? And yes, I am glad that California is not a "right to work" state....MY point was just about the few Pepsi drivers I know...If you want to start one of those "I don't like union threads" forget it, I don't waste my time on that crap. I retire in a little over 2 months with a very healthy pension, so let's just not do that dance. I don't need to justify anything....
:?: :?:

Just the opposite actually! Everything moves in circles and it appears the time may be returning that the unions can become an assett, especially in this industry. I'm no youngster and remember many of the not so special days of the unions. However, the circle is coming around once again where they can serve a very useful purpose. That is if the unions are capable of gaining lost ground.

The unions were originally started to band workers together for better working conditions, pay, etc. Over the years corporations came to realize they were indeed making huge mistakes by not treating workers fairly. Corporations changed their ways and the workplace did become a better place for many, not necessarily all. When this occurred the union membership dropped as less places of work chose to unionize.

Unfortunately over the last 15 - 20 years the circle started coming back around again and corporations are quickly returning to the ways prior to the start of unions. A classic example was the recent announcement by Circuit City that they were firing 2400 people and openly admitting they are being fired so they can replace them with lower paid workers. There are many more examples of corporations taking advantage of less collective bargaining units (unions). In addition corporations are going to great lengths to maintain their control over the workers and doing what they can to prevent unionization of the workplaces.

As for my point, it was a question. Texas government is pro "Big Business" and does nothing for the worker. I've been reading many different pieces regarding California's methods which appear to be pro "Worker". Since I do not live in, nor have I ever, I was mainly curious as to what Californians have experienced regarding Californian governments position in as far as workers treatment and rights? From what I have seen so far I like California's methods and would hope many of them are adopted by other states as well.

I would hope this does not turn out to be an anti-union thread but instead an informative one regarding the original question.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Board Regular

I was in the beer and Spirits delivery business for 4 years. I worked my ass off right along side the Pepsi guys. If you're not in shape now, you will be in the end. I beat myself up so bad in 4 years that I herniated one disc and my knee likes to hurt now and then. I stopped that job and went back to tooling around the western states. I slipped off the top step of my truck and totally destroyed the disc in my back. Had surgery 2 weeks ago and at the young age of 35 I'm officially broken. Really think hard before you take on these heavy lifting, constant running jobs.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feederfred
...I don't need to justify anything....
And yet you do.

Take a chill pill and re-read the post.

Fer cryin' out loud think happy thoughts--you retire in 2-months!
Old 05-22-2007, 01:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kintama
I was in the beer and Spirits delivery business for 4 years. I worked my ass off right along side the Pepsi guys. If you're not in shape now, you will be in the end. I beat myself up so bad in 4 years that I herniated one disc and my knee likes to hurt now and then. I stopped that job and went back to tooling around the western states. I slipped off the top step of my truck and totally destroyed the disc in my back. Had surgery 2 weeks ago and at the young age of 35 I'm officially broken. Really think hard before you take on these heavy lifting, constant running jobs.
Wow! :shock:

Will you still be able to drive?

Hang in there! 8)
Old 05-22-2007, 10:20 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWheels
Quote:
Wow! :shock:

Hang in there! 8)
Doctor says yes, I have my doubts. We'll see what happens after I start rehab in the coming weeks.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWheels
Doctor says yes, I have my doubts. We'll see what happens after I start rehab in the coming weeks.
Don't rush the rehab! Don't over do it!

If the rehab people for whatever reason start pushing you to rehab faster and your body says "no way" let them know and slow down the process.

Hopefully your doctor and the rehab people will not be in a rush to get you feeling better all at once. Believe it or not, some rush things and actually do more damage than healing.

BOL!
Old 05-24-2007, 12:35 AM
Board Regular
Default California's labor laws...

I re-read this post and realized I may have been a bit hasty in my response to the poster "Sentinel". To answer your question: California's laws do favor the employee. Rights to organize and other worker protections are fairly progressive and not "slanted" too much to either side. We do enjoy the "card-check" provision if employee's wish to join a labor union. In addition, we also have "living wage" provisions in many areas of the state. We are also not a right to work state. These things are really the only thing that kept me in the state all these years. It just wasn't a bad state to be an "employee"..After my retirement though I am moving to my second home in Northern Nevada. Tax-wise, it will be a big improvement for me.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:21 AM

feederfred,

No problem, it was not taken negatively.

Please excuse my ignorance on the term "card-check provision"? Could you elaborate?

I had relatives in California and had once considered moving there. The cost of living (mostly home purchasing) kept me from it. As I said before though I certainly wish other states would take a lesson from California's methods for ensuring employees have at least some assistance against Big Business. Naturally I won't hold my breath for that to happen. :roll:
Old 05-24-2007, 01:59 AM
Board Regular

"Card check" is a provision whereby if a simple majority of employee's at a company (50%+1) sign cards indicating they wish to join a union, then no election need be held and that union must be recognized as the employee's bargaining agent.