User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013, 05:50 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Looking to drive again

My name is David Ferguson. I have driven tractor-trailers coast to coast from 1988 to 2009 with about three years of local straight truck, mainly with a trash company, in and around Omaha, Nebraska. Most of the over-the-road driving has been done with a reefer trailer or dry box, with about 6 months of flatbed.
From February 2009 to June 2011 and also from October 2011 to present I have been unemployed. Within the time frame of February 2009 to present I have driven for one company for three months between June 2011 to October 2011 pulling another reefer trailer. I would like to get back to driving but with a flatbed company.
I do not mind where they go in the lower 48 states but I do not have a TWIC card due to the fact that I cannot find my naturalization form from where I was born which is Japan. My father was stationed there with the Air Force when I was born. I have driven in all 48 states plus three provinces in Canada.
I have driven all type of equipment from a cab-over Mack to an extended hood Peterbilt. Any transmission except for a two stick or automatic which I would like to stay away from. Also any engine from a two-stroke Detroit to a big horse power Caterpillar. I have driven junk to brand new and everything in-between. If the company that does look upon this letter has this ability, I am thinking quite a lot about a lease-purchase but with the right kind of equipment.
If you would like to get a hold of me the best way would be through my email address which is [email protected]. Thank you.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:31 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Welcome to the forum, doctordave. It may be difficult to get on with any of the major carriers due to your lack of recent experience, even though you have many years of driving experience. Most won't hire drivers without at least 6-12 month experience in the last 3 years. Unless you want to do a refresher course from a school, you might be able to get on with one of the training carriers as long as you can document the long gap in employment. They might be able to put you with a trainer for a few weeks until they are comfortable turning you loose on your own. Your best option might be to find a small carrier or independent who will hire you so that you can get some recent experience. Unfortunately, it is the insurance companies who dictate whom we can hire in this business. I am sure that you will find a carrier who will give you an opportunity to get back in the seat. If you want to get into flats, you might check with Maverick or TMC. I believe both have training programs. Even with your years of experience, many carriers don't consider it unless some of it has been in the last 3 years. At least you have 3 months of recent experience. With your other experience it may be sufficient to overcome the long gap in unemployment. You will need to document the gap to most carriers. We are required to check at least the last 3 years employment when we hire a driver.

Not having a TWIC should not be much of a problem with most carriers, but could enhance your opportunities for the long term. Good luck.