User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Driving Proposition

Now that you opened this I'll start by saying I am looking for, not offering a position. I have already filled out the on line app and submitted numerous others so this is my alternate appeal for a driving position.

Now hear me out please. 50 year old single man looking to work with expereinced driver - O/O - to obtain my CDL. I'm a self employed handyman that is closing business ASAP and trying to obtain my dream of driving OTR. Unfortunately this business economy has forced me to sell just about everything except my home, trailers, tools and vehicle. Now is the time for me to act since I have numerous applications out looking for steady employment and need to do this before I get a regular 9 - 5 job. Here's my proposition: If we can come to an agreement I'll get my Temp. Learners Permit and ride, drive, lump, do whatever is necessary to learn about the business and pass the tests to eventually get my full CDL. In exchange I'll accept a couple bucks on a regular basis (we can discuss) while in training. We can go our own way after my CDL is achieved or if you would like to discuss my staying on I am open for that also. I own my home and vehicle outright so my monthly bills are minimal (except for taxes!) which I hope helps show you that I am not getting into it for the money. Plain and simple truth is that this is what I really want to do! I cannot express in words how much I want to do this. I am not worried about home time as long as I can pass through the house once in a while to check on things. I have a nephew that will stay at my home to keep on top of things here (lawn, snow removal, etc) in exchange for my giving him a place to live until he finds his own place. Regarding my location I can easily run out of the Flint, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Detroit Michigan, or other area since I can park my vehicle at family/friends homes if that works out better for this arrangement. I currently live in Bay City, MI.

A little about me:

50yr old single man (straight), have no accidents in last 10 - 15 years at least. No felonies. Will happily relocate for right position/location. Have Associates Degree (was president of national honor society in 1989). Past president of American Red Cross Disaster Action Team (volunteer)in my County.

I made one run from Grand Rapids, MI to California and back pulling a reefer back in the mid 80's and that's when I knew this is what I eventually wanted to do. Life events and circumstances have delayed my acting upon it until this time.

The Good; I'm very mechanically talented including stick, wirefeed and oxyacetylene welding, resourceful, honest to a fault at times, team player, humble, somewhat intelligent and I tend to succeed at things I enjoy doing. I'm very even tempered and don't get worked up that easily however I like to think that I know when someone is trying to take advantage of me. I know how to ask for help when needed. I don't drink alcohol or do any drugs but I do smoke (cigs only). I'm clean when it comes to hygene. I've been told I have great people skills however I am not one to seek the limelight or attention. I am familiar with business mathematics and good practices, besides my handyman business I managed a global pilot plant for a major silicone manufacturer in my previous career. An old fashioned midwestern man who values family, friends, morals. I am not afraid of hard work and have learned to adapt to and accept changing circumstances while maintaining my core principles. I am not weekly church goer or very religious but do hold my faith in God close to my heart.

The Bad; I have an alcoholic past but have been sober (including alcohol free cough medicine) for 4+ years. I did receive a DWI in April, 2005 which is when I finally realized I had this problem and ended it there. This is why the "training" companies won't touch me until next April (5 years) but I'm thinking right now that I will be gainfully employed and unavailable then. I smoke cigarettes. As far as other negatives I guess you'd have to ask those who know me such as family and friends who's contact info I will gladly supply to you. I'll include a list of my business customers if you wish.

If interested or if you know of someone who may be please PM me and we can discuss further. Thanks for even considering this. Jeff

Last edited by jeepjeff; 08-24-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:47 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjeff View Post
Here's my proposition: If we can come to an agreement I'll get my Temp. Learners Permit and ride, drive, lump, do whatever is necessary to learn about the business and pass the tests to eventually get my full CDL. In exchange I'll accept a couple bucks on a regular basis (we can discuss) while in training. We can go our own way after my CDL is achieved or if you would like to discuss my staying on I am open for that also.
Such "training" would be worthless at every major carrier. They normally require that you attend an accredited school, or they won't touch you.

Quote:
I did receive a DWI in April, 2005 which is when I finally realized I had this problem and ended it there. This is why the "training" companies won't touch me until next April (5 years) but I'm thinking right now that I will be gainfully employed and unavailable then.
Not to burst your bubble, but the training companies might not even touch you then. There is a huge surplus of drivers right now, and people with any blemishes on their record are being tossed aside.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:56 PM
Rookie

Thank you very much for the reply Rev. and you may be, probably are, totally correct however I am a firm believer that attitude and will power will prevail when most everything else fails. If I were to fail - and I won't - it would not be because I haven't done everything in my power to succeed.