User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2009, 06:03 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Rusty driver looking for a seat.

I hold a valid cdl class-a, with no endorsements.
My abstract and dac report are both in good standing. I have 3+ years otr in class-a, but it is dated.
I ran as a co-driver for an owner/operator in service with Allied Van Lines, Reliable Moving and Storage in Chandler AZ. Then for second year, same owner/operator switched to full auto transport in service with Reliable Carriers Inc. 6 car enclosed lift gates. I also teamed with one of their 10 car open drivers for some expedited runs but my exp. with open is limited. I was very lucky to receive my otr training this way as my trainer was old school and very professional and stood to lose a lot more than any instructor. That said I also completed the Mayflower Transit training program to run as an owner/operator with them. I had taken a new truck through them and was running trade shows and electronics along with some freight but after 9 months my dispatcher couldn’t seem to load me for much over what it cost to operate and had to give it up before got too deep. I then ran regional and some otr for a smaller outfit as a company driver for close to a year before I left the road for more home time to help raise my son. That near complete I am unable to get back in the seat, the insurance companies regulations have completely shut me out due to lack of recent exp. Over a driver who spent 6 weeks in school, and has less than 10 hours behind the wheel before they are sent rolling. I can’t afford to go to school and my state won’t help as I already have a cdl even though I have explained it’s useless without a refresher course. I have been driving class-b for the past 10+ years now, front discharge concrete trucks (80,000lbs.) so it’s not like I’ve been driving a box truck full of potato chips. Construction’s over for some time and I’ve been laid off for far too long. While rusty with class-a, combination vehicles I know I still have a lot of good miles left in me. The companies that still offer training tell me I don’t meet there criteria (they want the never drove before newb so they can hook him into a lease-purchase program) I’ve applied to a number of them. So this is where I’m at. I know there has to be a truck out enough for me to be accepted back into the business. Home time is not an issue to me at this time, if I can’t pay for it I can’t keep it. I’m not afraid of hard work or getting dirty, and I don’t believe in half assed work. I would love to get back into auto transport but any type of transport is what I need at this point. So if you have a seat for me or have any leads to one I welcome your response. Smug comments or smart remarks not so welcome and will be viewed as coming from an old shoe woman. I reside in central New Jersey (AKA shore points area) my e-mail is [email protected] Thank you for your time.

Keep it safe,
Claude W. McGinley.