View Poll Results: Who makes the best Class 8 truck?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Freightliner

6 11.32%
  • Peterbilt

13 24.53%
  • International

0 0%
  • Kenworth

18 33.96%
  • Sterling

0 0%
  • Western Star

6 11.32%
  • Mack

4 7.55%
  • Volvo

6 11.32%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Class 8 truck

Barnstormer is offline Rookie

Default Best Class 8 truck

I'm just curious to see who you all think makes the best Class 8 truck? (The best truck I ever drove was a 2002 Kenworth T800.)

Ironturkey is offline Board Regular

I liked the superliner best truck I ever drove. It was low on the power side with just a 350, but it had that mack 12spd with 5 reverse speeds. Which was a lifesaver while sittin at a RXR crossing one night watching a slow moving train derail in front me :shock:

solo379 is offline Senior Board Member

For me, it's always my current truck! :lol: Used to be 96 Volvo, now 05 KW T600! 8)

PAB
    PAB is offline Member

Whats the deal, 50 views and 7 votes? And I thought truckers were opinionated.

I voted for the Pete, Its gonna be my next truck.

littleman2 is offline Senior Board Member

well I don't care for the frieght shakers drove one to many to know I would never buy one. I do like the kenworth w900l
    You don't have to like it you just have to do it!
    Member formally known as Littleman."Democracy is two wolfs and one sheep having a vote on what to have for lunch.
    True Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting that vote." Ben Franklin

Illegitimis nil carborundum

Inter arma silent leges

Si hoc non legere potes tu asinus es

kenworth75 is offline Member

DUH!!!!
    "We will not waiver, we will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail." George W. Bush

Montara is offline Rookie

In this order and these models only

Kenworth.... W900
    Peterbilt....... 379
    Western Star 4900EX
    Freightliner.... Classic

Also Rans
    International..... No thanks
    Mack....... Nice truck...

Sincerely 26 years ago.

From the list of BWAHAHAAHA, why are these two even mentioned?

Sterling.....Once formally known as Ford. They died when they stopped producing the LTL 9000
    Volvo........ Well, I suppose if you were desperate enough.

NAH.... I'd rather dig ditches than drive junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Montara
    In this order and these models only

Kenworth.... W900
    Peterbilt....... 379
    Western Star 4900EX
    Freightliner.... Classic

Also Rans
    International..... No thanks
    Mack....... Nice truck...

Sincerely 26 years ago.

From the list of BWAHAHAAHA, why are these two even mentioned?

Sterling.....Once formally known as Ford. They died when they stopped producing the LTL 9000
    Volvo........ Well, I suppose if you were desperate enough.

NAH.... I'd rather dig ditches than drive junk.
    Nice show truck! Wonder, if fuel milege, with this "box" 3-4mpg!? At the current fuel prices, at 120k miles a year 1mpg difference, will save, or cost you about 6-7 grand! I'm in this business for the money, not for show! As of to Volvo vs KW, or Pete- they all made from the same components, specs, is more importend, than brand! I bought my 96 (old model) Volvo brand new, put 962k on it w/o problem, still had clutch, and rear brakes, original, sold it this year, and it still running! The only reason i bought KW now, cause they don't make Volvo with CAT'S, anymore! 8)

Quote Originally Posted by solo379
    Nice show truck! Wonder, if fuel milege, with this "box" 3-4mpg!? At the current fuel prices, at 120k miles a year 1mpg difference, will save, or cost you about 6-7 grand! I'm in this business for the money, not for show! As of to Volvo vs KW, or Pete- they all made from the same components, specs, is more importend, than brand! I bought my 96 (old model) Volvo brand new, put 962k on it w/o problem, still had clutch, and rear brakes, original, sold it this year, and it still running! The only reason i bought KW now, cause they don't make Volvo with CAT'S, anymore! 8)
    Fuel mileage would be 5.2 MPG.

Each to their own I suppose. If you're happy purchasing a truck that has a resale value comparitive to an Edsel.... then by all means, go ahead and choose a polish peterbuilt.

Are you saing, that "brick wall", getting 5.2mpg averege!? :shock: I mean running loaded, at hiway speed? What kind of specs it got? And about "resale" value! Two things to consider. First, you usualy, pay upfront, an average 20 grand, plus interest, just for the name! And at the point of sale, you get some of it back! :sad: Second- with a fuel milege, of this truck, and my "polish peterbilt" (T600), in a five years period, i'll pocket another 50 grand, in a fuel cost! Like i said, i'm here for the money! 8)

weasel is offline Rookie

EDITED

Quote Originally Posted by weasel
    Edited
    No, i'm not, here is some "math for dummies" 5 years, at 120k = 600k at 5mpg=120,000 gallons. Same 600k at 7mpg=85,714, ok i'll make it 90,000 gallons ! 30,000 difference, at $1.7 a gallon=$51,000! So who is stupid now? :roll: :lol: And another thing, i don't care where you buy your "dope", but you have to learn some maners, when you are talking to the people! Or you one of this CB(internet) rambos? :x :lol:

EDITED

PAB
    PAB is offline Member

Solo, where you getting fuel for $1.70 a gallon? Right now I pretty much figure fuel is going to be costing us $2.00 a gallon.

I hear ya on the mileage. My trusty ole T600 with the almighty 430 detroit is getting around 6.5 mpg. I want to get a 379 but the thing thats holding me back is mileage, I don't want to go below 6.

Quote Originally Posted by PAB
    Solo, where you getting fuel for $1.70 a gallon? Right now I pretty much figure fuel is going to be costing us $2.00 a gallon.

I hear ya on the mileage. My trusty ole T600 with the almighty 430 detroit is getting around 6.5 mpg. I want to get a 379 but the thing thats holding me back is mileage, I don't want to go below 6.
    $1.70 a gallon, was just a minimum example! But actualy, i'm getting fuel in NJ, for $1.76 right now, full tanks,(300 gallons) could keep me running for 2000 miles, which is more than enough for my usual rounds! 8) Cause company, i'm leased to, pays fuel taxes, i don't have to worry, about fuel tax credit! Also, you are not nesseserely will drop, below 6mpg with 379, but you'll deffenetly get better fuel milege, with the same specs, but more aerodinamic truck! And like i said,- i'm here for the money, not for show! 8)

PAB
    PAB is offline Member

Me too but the thing I don't like about my T600 is it feels like it going to tip over going into a corner, basically its a weeble. A lot of its the 8 bag rear suspension, combine that with the set back front axel and high profile cab makes for a truck that has an ok ride but is hard to keep between the lines. The 379's ride great and run more flat which is what I am looking for, and yea, they look cool too. :roll:

Malaki86 is offline Senior Board Member

Not that it's my favorite (only drove a couple trucks), I run a '94 KW T600 with 1,030,000 miles on the original Cat 475, w/ an Eaton 9 spd. I average around 6.5mpg running loaded in the flatlands, and about 5.5 in the hills in the east coast.

To the best of my knowledge, the only thing that's been done to the truck is the heads were rebuilt. Tranny & rears have never been cracked open.

The only thing I don't like about that model is the bulkhead you have to crawl through (it's a dbl bunk aerocab).

Kw if you like 5MPG
    Freightliner if you like 7MPG and Freightliners are half price!

Quote Originally Posted by W900_Rooster_Cruzer
    Kw if you like 5MPG
    Freightliner if you like 7MPG and Freightliners are half price!
    Would you be so kind, to explain, what makes this....truck :lol: , so superior? Oh, by the way, do you know, what Detroit engine, and green banana has in common? 8)
    Pessimist,- is just well informed optimist!

Doctor Who is offline Moderator Senior Board Member

do you know, what Detroit engine, and green banana has in common?
    Not sure, but if you can hum a few notes I could probably play it on the guitar....

And one other snide comment or question, in this case: If it's a W900 Rooster Cruiser, why is there a photo of a Pumpkin Century??????
    Don't be to optimistic the light at the end of the tunnel may be another train!!!

22. This ad will disappear if you login

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast