User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat View Post
Do some scientific research on DNA, you will find almost all living creatures share near identical DNA. Apes are only off from us by 2%, but in the world of DNA 2% is a huge difference.
I agree. But I've always read that it was 3% difference between us and chimps. However, it seems that man is the only creature that has the speech gene. The one that gives us the ability to articulate speech.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:12 PM
Board Icon

A couple of other things I thought were interesting...

Before the flood, man lived to be hundreds of years long. After the flood, man's lifespan shortened. No one lived that long anymore.

If you melt both polar caps, the level of the oceans will rise, but may not be enough to cover the statue of Liberty. So, where did the water come from to cover the highest mountain?

One theory is a meteor impact. In the middle of the Pacific Ocean, and a large enough meteor to empty the ocean. There would have been a tremendous amount of water that would have been vaporized, trillions of tons of water launched into the air in the form of fine mist, and the rest would have become a tsunami that would go completely around the world. There would be enough water to cover every mountain on earth.

Given the amount of rain that would have been coming down, how long would it take for the rain to end, and how long would it take for the waters to recede? Such an impact would have fractured the earth's crust and given us the fault lines that give us the earth quakes we now have.

An, impact of that magnitude would also have the ability to change earth's rotation and orbit. By that theory, man's actual life span would have remained the same, but the standard by which man measured time would have changed. 800 years might have become 80 years.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
A couple of other things I thought were interesting...

Before the flood, man lived to be hundreds of years long. After the flood, man's lifespan shortened. No one lived that long anymore.

If you melt both polar caps, the level of the oceans will rise, but may not be enough to cover the statue of Liberty. So, where did the water come from to cover the highest mountain?

One theory is a meteor impact. In the middle of the Pacific Ocean, and a large enough meteor to empty the ocean. There would have been a tremendous amount of water that would have been vaporized, trillions of tons of water launched into the air in the form of fine mist, and the rest would have become a tsunami that would go completely around the world. There would be enough water to cover every mountain on earth.

Given the amount of rain that would have been coming down, how long would it take for the rain to end, and how long would it take for the waters to recede? Such an impact would have fractured the earth's crust and given us the fault lines that give us the earth quakes we now have.

An, impact of that magnitude would also have the ability to change earth's rotation and orbit. By that theory, man's actual life span would have remained the same, but the standard by which man measured time would have changed. 800 years might have become 80 years.
You have a few good points here, the bible describes the water as coming up from the earth, certainly could be from a meteor, but it is hard to say.

Now as far as the spinning of the earth changing time, this would mean the world's rate of spin would have had to dramatically slow down, I am not thinking this is the case, remember, the bible explains the life spans getting shorter because of sin. The wages of sin is death, doesn't mean instant death, but death eventually.

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 06-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
I agree. But I've always read that it was 3% difference between us and chimps. However, it seems that man is the only creature that has the speech gene. The one that gives us the ability to articulate speech.
Speech is not really a gene thing per say. There are many animals and creatures that communicate, look at dolphins, they have their own sound based communication that is very sophisitcated, we have yet to translate it to understand it.

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 06-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Rookie

Regardless of whether the bible is an accurate historical account or complete bunk, no one can argue that it is an excelent philosophy to live by.

I am not a religious person. I was raised a baptist but as I got older I made my own choices. However, I am smart enough to recognise the contributions the bible has made to mankind.

Can you imagine what the human society would be like if it weren't for religion?

The Mad Max movies come to mind.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:11 PM
Senior Board Member

From my time of studying, I have come to my own coclusion that all if not most of the old religions have come from just one like sumerian mythos.. Gilgamesh, the Anananuki, the Watchers etc..
All mythos have a form of truth, but not the whole truth, and if the Bible is from diffrent forms of mythos then the truths IMOP are only half truths.. The way to correct that is to crack the code of the original, and the rest will fall into place..
In the times of kings and queens they sent knights to defeat dragons. I think it was in 1946 in Japan or China I cant remember there was a black dragon that fell from the sky. There have been sightings of dragons in the hymalayans etc.. take in other unknowns, mythological creatures and writings, aliens, etc. Then we have to wonder where did man come up with these things without some form of truth..

As for God well without going into free will etc and making a big debate over it, wich I do not have time to do. Not only that I know I would be the antogonist and the one to so called devils advocate on this one. So I will step out and watch from the side lines..

I don't know the answers I just have a opinion, But what does it matter? We wont know, because we are nothing but deck of cards, made in gods image but not god.

Slimland
I will be the judge
And the jury

Neil Peart
Old 06-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
You have a few good points here, the bible describes the water as coming up from the earth, certainly could be from a meteor, but it is hard to say.

Now as far as the spinning of the earth changing time, this would mean the world's rate of spin would have had to dramatically slow down, I am not thinking this is the case, remember, the bible explains the life spans getting shorter because of sin. The wages of sin is death, doesn't mean instant death, but death eventually.
While such an event would have the ability to change earth's rotation, I was suggesting that perhaps, that may have knocked us into an oval orbit around the sun, that might have taken much longer for the seasons to change. That would have been the way early man would have had to measure years by. If the earth was in a smaller, circular orbit around the sun, originally, then an impact like that could have changed the orbit and it could mean longer time to change the seasons, and the means of measureing a year would have changed while man's life-span would have remained the same. Just a theory.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Speech is not really a gene thing per say. There are many animals and creatures that communicate, look at dolphins, they have their own sound based communication that is very sophisitcated, we have yet to translate it to understand it.
While it's true that other animals communicate, they use sounds and "BODY LANGUAGE" to get the message across. Even dogs do that. But, man is the only one that, to date, is able to articulate speech. Even dolphins include body language in their communications. But, I'm not a geneticist, so I have to accept what I read and hear about it. From everything I've heard and read, man is the only one that carries the gene that gives us the power of speech.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:19 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul View Post
Regardless of whether the bible is an accurate historical account or complete bunk, no one can argue that it is an excelent philosophy to live by.

I am not a religious person. I was raised a baptist but as I got older I made my own choices. However, I am smart enough to recognise the contributions the bible has made to mankind.

Can you imagine what the human society would be like if it weren't for religion?

The Mad Max movies come to mind.
There is absolutely no argument about the benefits the Bible has contributed to our social structure and moral values. My problem is the folks that quote the Bible, chapter and verse, complete with errors, "and, if you do not believe exactly that, you are going to go to HELL".

Is it right to believe in the Bible? Absolutely, YES. But, it's also right to understand that what was once the inspired word of GOD may be missing accurate information because of translation, and the fact that over time, facts may have been lost. Archeology and paleanthology are able to varify a great number of places and events in the Bible, but words that were spoken are no longer available. And, translation often leaves much to be desired.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimland View Post
From my time of studying, I have come to my own coclusion that all if not most of the old religions have come from just one like sumerian mythos.. Gilgamesh, the Anananuki, the Watchers etc..
All mythos have a form of truth, but not the whole truth, and if the Bible is from diffrent forms of mythos then the truths IMOP are only half truths.. The way to correct that is to crack the code of the original, and the rest will fall into place..
In the times of kings and queens they sent knights to defeat dragons. I think it was in 1946 in Japan or China I cant remember there was a black dragon that fell from the sky. There have been sightings of dragons in the hymalayans etc.. take in other unknowns, mythological creatures and writings, aliens, etc. Then we have to wonder where did man come up with these things without some form of truth..

As for God well without going into free will etc and making a big debate over it, wich I do not have time to do. Not only that I know I would be the antogonist and the one to so called devils advocate on this one. So I will step out and watch from the side lines..

I don't know the answers I just have a opinion, But what does it matter? We wont know, because we are nothing but deck of cards, made in gods image but not god.

Slimland
Slim, it's really good to see you sign in here.

Actually, the first thing to do is to be sure you have the original, and that it has withstood the test of time. And, if you think you might be the "Devil's Advocate" on this one, what do you suppose I'm being with what I'm proposing? Don't be afraid to jump in here.

Tags
don't believe it at all, don't know much about it, historical record only, word for word