Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Rules and Regulations and DAC, Oh My (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my-16/)
-   -   Log question - 100 mile radius (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my/42384-log-question-100-mile-radius.html)

Malaki86 03-19-2012 12:13 PM

Log question - 100 mile radius

Quick question here:

One job I've got a possibility of getting is a local job, running within a 100 mile radius. The boss said that they don't run log books because of the short-haul operation. However, you cross state lines to do the job.

It was my understanding that if you crossed state lines, even though it's under 100 miles (closer to 30 miles), you still have to run a log book.

Who is right on this? I didn't question him about it because I want the job. But, if it's required to run a log book, I'll bring it up to him within a day or 2 of being hired.

Mystikal 03-19-2012 01:52 PM

I know some of our local guys run up to WY and don't run a log. I too was under that impression as well until I saw them doing it.

Orangetxguy 03-19-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaki86 (Post 509581)
Quick question here:

One job I've got a possibility of getting is a local job, running within a 100 mile radius. The boss said that they don't run log books because of the short-haul operation. However, you cross state lines to do the job.

It was my understanding that if you crossed state lines, even though it's under 100 miles (closer to 30 miles), you still have to run a log book.

Who is right on this? I didn't question him about it because I want the job. But, if it's required to run a log book, I'll bring it up to him within a day or 2 of being hired.

Start with memorizing this;

Driver's record of duty status. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

then read this over and try to make sense out of the two;

Scope of rules in this part. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Personally........Buy yourself the logbooks. Fill it out every day, just as though you were going to be submitting them with your daily tickets. Keep copies of the previous 8 days logs with you in case you get pulled over. Keeps you out of trouble with the law....and with your new employer.

my 2 cents

Malaki86 03-19-2012 02:41 PM

Thanks for the links - will go over them to try to decipher it

Orangetxguy 03-19-2012 02:55 PM

The "100 air mile" exemption used to be a cinch for not logging. But in the mid-80's it started changing. First with requiring haz-mat haulers to log everything....now unless you're "special" it is hard not to have to log.

usncporetired 03-19-2012 03:06 PM

Malakai, I run "locally" within 100 mile radius. We keep HOS logs UNLESS you drive over 12 hours per day or over 50% of your time is spent driving. At Hiland Dairy, we have
some transport drivers that just run trailers back and forth so they do logs, we have some others that deliver milk and stay under 12 hours so they run HOS sheets

SamIam_Murphy 03-20-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy (Post 509586)
Start with memorizing this;

Driver's record of duty status. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

then read this over and try to make sense out of the two;

Scope of rules in this part. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Personally........Buy yourself the logbooks. Fill it out every day, just as though you were going to be submitting them with your daily tickets. Keep copies of the previous 8 days logs with you in case you get pulled over. Keeps you out of trouble with the law....and with your new employer.

my 2 cents

Ditto on what Orangetxguy says here. I would cover my butt, never mind what the boss says. I think that you are right about crossing state lines and
it is still a good idea to cover your butt on this one.