Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Rules and Regulations and DAC, Oh My (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my-16/)
-   -   Working after 14 hrs (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my/27698-working-after-14-hrs.html)

Ridge Runner 06-15-2007 02:24 PM

Working after 14 hrs

I came off OTR in Oct. '05 and went local when the new HOS rules started so I didn't read up on them too much. Last night a co-worker and me were talking about HOS and he said you can't WORK past the 14. I said you can keep working past the 14 as long as you don't drive, but you MUST take the required 10 hr break before driving again. So tell me, did the rule change in '05 ?

ben45750 06-15-2007 02:43 PM

your right, you cannot drive past the 14th hour even if you have not used your 11 hours. You can work as long as you want and then you cannot drive until you get your 10 break.

Jackrabbit379 06-15-2007 03:06 PM

In Texas, running intrastate, you can work/drive an extra 2 hours once, for every 70 hour restart.
Not sure how other states are.

chapchap70 06-15-2007 09:50 PM

If you are a 100 mile radius driver and are interstate, you can use a 16 hour exemption once per duty tour. If you are an intrastate 100 mile radius driver, I believe the stricter of the state or federal laws apply. For example, New York allows driving up to the 15th hour after an 8 hours off duty as many times per duty tour as you can as long as you don't go over the 60/70 hour limit. So in New York the stricter of the two would be 15 hours once per duty tour after 10 hours off duty.

Quote:

E-1. What is a "duty tour" as the term is used in Part § 395.1(o)?

The 16-hour exemption in § 395.1(o) is designed for one-day "duty tours." The duty tour is the interval between the time a driver comes on-duty and is released from duty on a daily basis. This period begins and ends at the driver's normal work reporting location and may only be used following 10 or more consecutive hours off-duty, 10 or more consecutive hours in the sleeper berth, or a combination of 10 or more consecutive hours off-duty and sleeper berth time.
E-2. If a driver is "on duty, not driving" during the 15th and 16th hour of his duty tour and does not drive after that, has he used the 16-hour exception in § 395.1(o)?

No. Example: If a driver was on duty 16 hours on Wednesday, but didn't drive after being on duty 14 hours, could the driver use the 16 hour extension on Friday and be allowed to drive after the 14th hour as long as all other conditions and regulations

(11-, 16-, and 60/70- hour rules) were met?

In this scenario, the driver may choose to use the 16-hour extension on Friday as long as the driver meets all of the requirements for the 16-hour exception outlined in Part § 395.1(o) and also remains in compliance with Part § 395.3(a)(1) and Part § 395.3(b). Although the 16 hours on-duty on Wednesday will count toward the driver's 60/70 calculations, the driver has not utilized the 16-hour exception unless the driver has actually driven after the 14 th hour.
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...#_Toc111021251

Cluggy619 06-22-2007 04:29 AM

Too many exceptions to the 14 hour rule. Bosses keep getting them mixed up, and thinking that you can split it up with a 2 hour break. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are OTR, you have 14 hours to complete your day from which you start. So if you begin at 6:00 am, you got until 8:00pm to complete your 11 hours worth of driving. Is this correct?

Uturn2001 06-22-2007 05:33 AM

Yes.... You can not drive after the 14th hour since coming on duty until you take your break.

golfhobo 07-02-2007 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cluggy619
Too many exceptions to the 14 hour rule. Bosses keep getting them mixed up, and thinking that you can split it up with a 2 hour break. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are OTR, you have 14 hours to complete your day from which you start. So if you begin at 6:00 am, you got until 8:00pm to complete your 11 hours worth of driving. Is this correct?

Actually, there is only one exception besides the emergency/adverse condition one... which we won't discuss! :wink:

That one exception is the 8 hour sleeper berth break. So, your boss is mistaken, a 2 hour break doesn't extend it. And your example is correct UNLESS you split log and/or take an 8 hour S/B break within that 14 hours. If you do, then you add the hours in the sleeper (8 or more, but less than 10) to the ending point of your day.

One minor point that some miss is that, you CAN "stop the clock" with an 8 hour S/B break, and then shut down for a full 10 at the end of your "extended" day.

Rev.Vassago 07-02-2007 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Yes.... You can not drive after the 14th hour since coming on duty until you take your break.

Didn't someone already say this? :roll:

Quote:

So if you begin at 6:00 am, you got until 8:00pm to complete your 11 hours worth of driving. Is this correct?
Yup. Unless you split the sleeper, and take the 8 consecutive hours first, in which case you have until 4:00 am to complete your 11 hours. Then you gotta take another 2, and can drive for 11 more hours minus the hours you drove on the other side of the 2 hour sleeper break.

And as far as the adverse driving conditions go, golfhobo, they don't extend the 14 hour clock. So there. :P

golfhobo 07-02-2007 10:28 PM

The Rev spoke:

Quote:

And as far as the adverse driving conditions go, Your Royal Highness, golfhobo, they don't extend the 14 hour clock. So there. :P

:oops: Ooops!!! :oops: You're absolutely correct, Sir!! I was reading 14 hour and thinking 11 hour!! My BAD!!! :lol: :lol:

Phreddo 12-30-2009 02:43 AM

I had to agree to disagree with my dispatcher tonight about this.
i haul fuel, and i wanted to verify if i could log my post trip and fuel after the 14th hour as line 4. he said, no, it all had to be within 14 hours. I didn't say I disagreed, but I said, okay, i'll play it your way.
if these people wouldn't be running me 560 miles with a single 100 gallon tank every day, i wouldn't have to ask these kinds of questions :/
Also, i seem to use my 16 hour exception on a regular basis here, and i was trying not to have to use it for a 15 minute fuel stop. It's not like I picked the equipment or the load or the route, but yet I feel like I'm the one who has to take the heat.