Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Rules and Regulations and DAC, Oh My (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my-16/)
-   -   34 Hour Restart & DOT Regs (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my/23696-34-hour-restart-dot-regs.html)

Malaki86 03-12-2007 05:18 PM

I've never been questioned by the DOT as to whether I actually spent the entire 34hrs sitting in the sleeper. They know we're going to get out of the truck, walk into the truckstop for meals/shower/restroom.

I've also logged a 34hr restart as off-duty, even though I was in the sleeper. Again, never had it become an issue.

One last thing - For the life of me I still can't figure out how they came up with the 34hr restart. Why not 36, 40, or 48? It'd make more sense if it was in a 4hr increment.

kc0iv 03-12-2007 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaki86
I've never been questioned by the DOT as to whether I actually spent the entire 34hrs sitting in the sleeper. They know we're going to get out of the truck, walk into the truckstop for meals/shower/restroom.

I've also logged a 34hr restart as off-duty, even though I was in the sleeper. Again, never had it become an issue.

One last thing - For the life of me I still can't figure out how they came up with the 34hr restart. Why not 36, 40, or 48? It'd make more sense if it was in a 4hr increment.

I'm with you Malaki86. I've never had D.O.T. question me about a 34 hour reset be it in the sleeper or Off-Duty.

Just another Dawn (have no clue) idea.

kc0iv

allan5oh 03-12-2007 07:15 PM

I was under the impression the 34 hour reset can be any combination of off-duty(lines 1 and 2).

Rev.Vassago 03-12-2007 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allan5oh
I was under the impression the 34 hour reset can be any combination of off-duty(lines 1 and 2).

It can.

Dawn 03-13-2007 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawn
Keep in mind no one is going to believe you was in the sleeper 34 hours straight. DOT will question you on this.

Yet another uninformed nugget of misinformation from Dawn. :roll:

I've done a full 34 hour reset without EVER leaving my truck. SEVERAL TIMES. Maybe when you actually DRIVE a truck, Dawn, you can make a claim such as this. :roll:

Dawns Statement:
It should be logged as it happened. If you were in the sleeper berth, then it should be logged as sleeper berth. If you got out of the truck, then it should be off duty. The 34 hour reset can be any combination of the two, as long as it isn't broken up with any on duty time.

Again: You should not log 34 hours in the sleeper if you was not really in the sleeper for 34 hours.

DOT Q&A:

Question 26: May a driver record sleeper berth time as off-duty time on line one of the record of duty status?
Guidance: No. The driver's record of duty status must accurately reflect the driver's activities

Sounds pretty clear you should not be logging in the sleeper when you are really in the truck stop.

As we all know some officers will question you on something and some won't. Learn before you get the citation :). Again not false information, it is facts!

Rev.Vassago 03-13-2007 03:17 PM

Quote:

Dawns Statement:
It should be logged as it happened. If you were in the sleeper berth, then it should be logged as sleeper berth. If you got out of the truck, then it should be off duty. The 34 hour reset can be any combination of the two, as long as it isn't broken up with any on duty time.

Again: You should not log 34 hours in the sleeper if you was not really in the sleeper for 34 hours.

DOT Q&A:

Question 26: May a driver record sleeper berth time as off-duty time on line one of the record of duty status?
Guidance: No. The driver's record of duty status must accurately reflect the driver's activities

Sounds pretty clear you should not be logging in the sleeper when you are really in the truck stop.

As we all know some officers will question you on something and some won't. Learn before you get the citation :). Again not false information, it is facts!

No, Dawn's statement was pretty matter-of-fact:

Quote:

Keep in mind no one is going to believe you was in the sleeper 34 hours straight. DOT will question you on this.

Since when are you psychic, and can tell what "no one is going to believe"? When you make absolute statements such as this, you better have something to back it up with (which you don't). If I spent the full 34 hours in the sleeper, then I'm going to log it as such. If DOT doesn't want to believe me, then that is their problem, not mine. Good luck to them trying to prove it.

This is yet another case of Dawn trying to pretend that she is in the head of DOT, and knows what they are thinking, and how they will react to a situation. I've got a news flash for you, Dawn. Things are different in the REAL world, as opposed to DAWN'S world. In the REAL world, not all DOT handles situations the same. One might question a full 34 hours in a sleeper berth, and another might not. But when you state an absolute statement such as:

Quote:

Then it shows how little you really know. :roll:

Dawn 03-14-2007 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:

Dawns Statement:

DOT Q&A:

No, Dawn's statement was pretty matter-of-fact:

Quote:

Since when are you psychic, and can tell what "no one is going to believe"? When you make absolute statements such as this, you better have something to back it up with (which you don't). If I spent the full 34 hours in the sleeper, then I'm going to log it as such. If DOT doesn't want to believe me, then that is their problem, not mine. Good luck to them trying to prove it.

This is yet another case of Dawn trying to pretend that she is in the head of DOT, and knows what they are thinking, and how they will react to a situation. I've got a news flash for you, Dawn. Things are different in the REAL world, as opposed to DAWN'S world. In the REAL world, not all DOT handles situations the same. One might question a full 34 hours in a sleeper berth, and another might not. But when you state an absolute statement such as:

Quote:

Then it shows how little you really know. :roll:

If you read the statement I stated it should be logged as it happened! If you spent 34 hours in the sleeper (DOUBTFULL) then log it as such, but be ready for the questions from "some" of the officers! Again it is unlikely a driver will spend 34 hours in the sleeper without getting out of it.
Hey why don't we get about 20 drivers to ask DOT if I log in 34 hours in the sleeper what would you say to me? Again, if you do happen to say be sick and spend 34 hours in the sleeper, then you should log it as such, but if you are running in the truck stop and visiting and then back to the sleeper it should be logged as such. Will this affect your 34? NO! You did not do any work.
Therefore my statement was very true and accurate Rev! Again picking a fight! Move ON to someone else! I had the words to back it up :)

Rev.Vassago 03-14-2007 11:22 AM

Quote:

If you read the statement I stated it should be logged as it happened!

No, your original statement said nothing about logging it as it happened.

Quote:

If you spent 34 hours in the sleeper (DOUBTFULL)
How many 34 hour resets have you done in a sleeper berth? That's what I thought - ZERO.

Quote:

then log it as such, but be ready for the questions from "some" of the officers!
So now it's changed from ALL officers to SOME officers, huh? :roll:

Quote:

Again it is unlikely a driver will spend 34 hours in the sleeper without getting out of it.
This coming from someone who has NEVER slept in a sleeper, and doesn't even hold a CMV. :roll:

Quote:

Hey why don't we get about 20 drivers to ask DOT if I log in 34 hours in the sleeper what would you say to me?
How about a more REALISTIC question, such as:

How many of you drivers log all your 34 hour reset on the sleeper berth line, and have never had DOT say a darn thing about it? How many have had DOT question it?

Quote:

Therefore my statement was very true and accurate Rev! Again picking a fight! Move ON to someone else! I had the words to back it up :)
Yeah - these words:

Quote:

coastie 03-16-2007 02:07 AM

From what I been reading on here, it my understanding as long as you got hours coming back on you can still drive up to the max number of hours you have coming back on each day. Same as before they changed the rules.

Dawn 03-16-2007 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coastie
From what I been reading on here, it my understanding as long as you got hours coming back on you can still drive up to the max number of hours you have coming back on each day. Same as before they changed the rules.

Yes. If you gain hours @ midnight you have them hours to drive. You do not have to take a 34 hour restart. IF you might get loaded to Canada you might start taking 36 hour breaks instead of 34.

Have a great night :)