Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Rules and Regulations and DAC, Oh My (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my-16/)
-   -   How much log history must you keep???? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my/19273-how-much-log-history-must-you-keep.html)

old relic 08-04-2006 10:59 AM

How much log history must you keep????

Way back when I started trucking we only had log books - looseleaf logs were unheard of. Back then I always kept my current book and the last on preceeding that one, giving me at least a 30 day history at all times.

Now I use looseleaf logs (best thing since sliced bread). Anybody know how many days of history I must have if my logs are checked??????

THANKS in advance.

Old Relic

Sabine 08-04-2006 12:21 PM

only the previous 7.....keep the others in a nice safe and not so obvious place. By all means show what you must, but why give anyone a reason to really start looking at stuff.

GMAN 08-05-2006 01:58 PM

The carrier must keep them for 6 months, as I recall. It would be good for you to hang onto your logs for tax purposes. You can get a tax deduction for those days you are on the road. Your logs are proof of that time.

Rev.Vassago 08-05-2006 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN
The carrier must keep them for 6 months, as I recall. It would be good for you to hang onto your logs for tax purposes. You can get a tax deduction for those days you are on the road. Your logs are proof of that time.

Sorry, but you are wrong.

For a DOT audit one year (required of the carrier)
For the driver 7 days (required of the driver)
For the IRS 7 years (required of the driver, in case of an audit)

I still have ALL my logs - 10+ years worth.

GMAN 08-05-2006 02:38 PM

I need to check on the one year for a DOT audit. I thought they told me that it was 6 months. I know a carrier who recently went through a DOT audit and they were told that they only needed to keep logs for 6 months. In any case, I tend to be a pack rat when it comes to paperwork. I even have bank records from well over 30 years ago. :shock:

yoopr 08-06-2006 01:22 AM

1 yr. I believe

Useless 08-06-2006 01:47 AM

One Year for DOT is what I remember, but I wouldn't put too much stock in what I remember!!

How does the saying go??

First, you forget names,
Then, you forget faces,
Then, you forget to zipp 'em up.....
....But lately, I've been forgetting to zipp'em
DOWN!!!! :shock: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

GMAN 08-06-2006 01:53 AM

I have tried numerous times to access the FMCSA website to no avail. Now you have my curiosity up. I need to make sure of this myself. Has anyone else had a problem getting through to their website today?

Sandspur 08-06-2006 02:22 AM

logs

I also use the loose leaf log sheets. I am no expert by any means. My log sheets are mfg. by Keller and they actually say on the log sheet that you keep the previous 8 days .........

Rev.Vassago 08-06-2006 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN
I have tried numerous times to access the FMCSA website to no avail. Now you have my curiosity up. I need to make sure of this myself. Has anyone else had a problem getting through to their website today?

I haven't been able to get in all day either