User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2015, 11:02 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Question about Private Carriers

I have a friend that transports his own equipment (interstate), and he told me he only had a DOT#, and I told him he had to have a MC#, but turns out I was wrong. He leases his trucks from PAC Lease, and from what I know he doesn't have a state registration, since the cab card is supplied by the truck lease company. I suppose this is acceptable since he doesn't have an MC# that would require state authority? I asked him about drug testing and he said he was the only driver......apparently he never signed up for a drug consortium. I'm trying to help him get his business straightened out, but I'm used to operating a for hire company.....Now I'm wondering about IFTA, UCR and a bunch of other stuff like drivers records, road tests, etc. etc......have you guys heard of this sort of thing before??? I'm a bit confused, because I always looked at safety being enforced by the FMCSA, but apparently it's the USDOT side of things if private carriers don't even submit to the FMCSA.....
Old 12-06-2015, 11:09 PM
Board Regular

And to make matters worse, the Safersys program has changed since the FAST ACT was passed on Dec. 4, 2015. Here's the help they give you on their website......As of December 4, 2015, pursuant to the FAST Act of 2015, much of the information previously available on the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s (FMCSA) website related to property carrier’s compliance and safety performance will no longer be displayed publicly. While the agency is not prohibited from displaying all of the data, no information will be available for property carriers while appropriate changes are made.