User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2015, 08:42 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What all do I need in Texas?

We have a USDOT number, med cards, log books, etc and commercial insurance for five trucks that are under 26k but over 10k that we use in interstate commerce.

We are going to be buying our first over 26k truck and have a CDL driver for it but I am wondering what else we need to do to be legal? It will only be used locally hauling dirt and gravel. No crossing state lines. Do we need a TXDOT number? What about MC number, IFTA, etc.? I want to make sure I am doing everything right as this is our first venture into "big" trucks.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:06 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You may want to contact the state of Texas or check their website for current information. I think their web address is Home. If you only operate within the state of Texas, you will only need a TXDOT number, which is authority to run intrastate. If you run outside Texas and run interstate, you will need authority from the FMCSA or motor carrier authority (MC). You will also need to set up an IFTA account. If you only run intrastate in Texas you may not need the IFTA account. I would check with Texas and ask them or check their website.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:50 PM
Board Regular

You will need a Texas DOT # which can be had online. You go on the texdot website and pay the fee, then have your insurance company register the certificate with them. You can then print out your cab cards. Real easy. Then go to Texas State Comptroller to get your IFTA stickers. You get your plates from the DMV commercial division. Good luck.
TXDMV.GOV - TxDMV Number
Old 12-06-2015, 11:53 PM
Board Regular

As Slacker said, you may not need the IFTA sticker for that truck, but I believe you still have to pay the fuel tax for Texas.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:29 PM
Board Regular

I was suffering from sleep deprivation, and instead of referring to GMAN, I referred to myself in the third person......