User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2014, 11:01 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default DOT Medical Card Question

I have been driving for the last 20 years and normally I have my Primary care doctor at the Cleveland clinic a M.D. give me a physical and then he fills my dot card out and signs it when hes done... it lasts for 2 years ...well my time is coming back up in late December for my card to expire, can I still get my primary doctor to do my dot physical or does the Doctor have to be registered to do these? I cant see why a doctor who can perform FAA medical exams cant perform a dot physical ? I asked his head nurse if he ever registered to do the dot physical and she is unaware of having to do so? the bottom line is he required? or not?
Old 11-03-2014, 11:12 PM
Rookie

here is what I found: DOT Medical Exam and Commercial Motor Vehicle Certification | Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

according to this any md is good to go?
Old 11-08-2014, 02:00 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by couponjohn View Post
Not sure if the wording is confusing or not, but.... not just ANY will do. Your reference was updated in February of 2014, but.... the effective date of the new "rules" is May of 2014. Click on this link and read the section at top right under "WELCOME."

Also on this page is a link to search for "registered" MD's in your area.

https://nationalregistry.fmcsa.dot.g...icUI/home.seam

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:54 PM

Just had DOT safety audit 1/13-14/2015 and he said any new/renewal physicals must be performed by somebody on registry.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Yes. They must be on the listing.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:20 AM
Senior Board Member

in New Zealand our license renewed every 10 years till you 75 then 5 year.have medical for our heavy truck license when we renew it
Old 01-17-2015, 11:41 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I like the way you do it in New Zealand, mitchno1. I don't really see the need for us to have our medicals every 2 years. In fact, I don't know that it should even be necessary to have a medical card in order to obtain a CDL. If we do continue with the medical cards, then it would make more sense to have them renew along with the same time our CDL renews. Four wheelers pose a much greater threat to highway safety than 18 wheelers, yet are not required to have a medical exam. In reality, we are drowning in over regulation in this country.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I like the way you do it in New Zealand, mitchno1. I don't really see the need for us to have our medicals every 2 years. In fact, I don't know that it should even be necessary to have a medical card in order to obtain a CDL. If we do continue with the medical cards, then it would make more sense to have them renew along with the same time our CDL renews. Four wheelers pose a much greater threat to highway safety than 18 wheelers, yet are not required to have a medical exam. In reality, we are drowning in over regulation in this country.
Seeing the failure rate on recerts... we are going to disagree about that one GMAN..
Old 01-18-2015, 01:43 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You can fail the medical and still possess a standard drivers license. Most accidents involve cars and only about 20% of accidents involving trucks are the fault of truckers. You can have a standard drivers license without having to pass a medical exam. I just don't see that there should be a difference in whether one group must be medically qualified and another not. It would be interesting to see how many accidents are the result of a medical issue. This is another issue that the feds should prove the necessity in regards to safety in order to keep the ruling. There is already a lawsuit because of the sleep apnea studies. Some drivers are being forced to pay for a sleep apnea test in order to be able to work, even with no proof of the driver having a problem. It has become big business. Don't get me wrong. I think it is probably a good idea for most people to have an annual checkup just to make sure there are no physical issues lurking about. I am just not sure drivers should be forced to have a government sanctioned physical every two years.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
You can fail the medical and still possess a standard drivers license. Most accidents involve cars and only about 20% of accidents involving trucks are the fault of truckers. You can have a standard drivers license without having to pass a medical exam. I just don't see that there should be a difference in whether one group must be medically qualified and another not. It would be interesting to see how many accidents are the result of a medical issue. This is another issue that the feds should prove the necessity in regards to safety in order to keep the ruling. There is already a lawsuit because of the sleep apnea studies. Some drivers are being forced to pay for a sleep apnea test in order to be able to work, even with no proof of the driver having a problem. It has become big business. Don't get me wrong. I think it is probably a good idea for most people to have an annual checkup just to make sure there are no physical issues lurking about. I am just not sure drivers should be forced to have a government sanctioned physical every two years.
You know as well as I do why.. most cars are not hauling 40 tons of other people's property.. There has been more and more calls over the last few years for truckers to have no standards other than what the four wheelers get to do.. it's just sad.. but in America I expect nothing more.. higher standards are simply too bothersome for Americans anymore.. MOST people (four wheelers) get more regular sleep, exercise, and eat better than most truck drivers..but if you think there should be no higher standards for professional drivers, I'd say that it is the norm for people these days.