User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2014, 07:58 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Obtaining Hazmat (X) endorsement again.

Not sure if this is the correct forums for this...

I received my Class-A 6 years ago and at that time I also obtained the Tank (N) & Double / Triple Trailer (T) endorsements. The process then was that I filled out the TSA background check form, went to one of the NM MVD (New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division - our version of other states DMV) offices that could process the application and took the written test, after the test I had to do the electronic fingerprint scanning. Waited about 2 weeks and received the letter in the mail that I was approved, took that down to my local MVD office and had the X endorsement added onto my CDL. I let it lapse in 2010 because I had just started working with a company that didn't require it.

Looking into picking up the endorsement again and I see the process has changed.
There's a website for the Department of Homeland Security / TSA where I can apparently pre-enroll myself and schedule an appointment for testing.

https://universalenroll.dhs.gov/

Not sure when that started up, but is that the new way to go through the process?
I went through most of the pre-enrollment and found that there's a single center in Albuquerque, NM (I'm in Belen, NM about 40 miles south of Abq) that handles TSA related business including HME (Hazardous Material Endorsement).
I'm guessing I can go there and do all my testing, fingerprinting, and whatnot....but again it's all new to me.

Anyone picked up their X or H endorsement recently that can maybe give me an idea of how it goes these days?
Old 08-19-2014, 07:19 PM
Rookie

So I went down to the local "Universal Enrollment Center" and did my fingerprinting.

I previously filled out my information on the website and received a confirmation number. When I arrived at the "center", which was basically just a suite in a medium sized office complex, I was the only one there so I was able to get in right away.
I gave the lady at the desk my order number and she pulled up my information and asked for my CDL and birth certificate. She scanned both documents and then I used the biometric fingerprinting machine to capture my prints, she verified the information one more time.
I then paid my $86.50 fee and was told the state would be notified within 2 - 3 weeks and I would receive a "courtesy communication" in roughly the same amount of time and I can then go into a local MVD (Motor Vehicle Division) office and take the actual skills test.

All said and done, I was in and out in less than 10 minutes.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:04 PM
Rookie

Received my letter approving my application via snail mail on Friday, which is pretty impressive since I did the fingerprinting on Tuesday. Letter states that I've been cleared by the TSA and that I can go to any of the state MVD office and have the hazardous materials endorsement added to my CDL. Essentially, the process has been streamlined a lot since I did it the last time, though I guess it would also depend on how efficient your local TSA contractor is.

The current process can be summed up like this:

1) Fill out information online and either schedule appointment or show up as a walk-in.
2) Bring your CDL and one other required document.
3) Wait for letter of approval.
4) Take the written skills test at the MVD / DMV office in your state.