User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2014, 03:08 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hogan HOS violations,

Im writing this to describe my experience working with hogan dedicated.
Having run both loose leaf and e-log, I know that HOS regs are sometimes a pain in the arse, I do not always agree with them, but I do have to follow them. Granted, this may be a very localized problem, beginning and ending in the office where I was at. I am leaving this very general because I am currently looking for another job, since I quit as soon as I figured them out. Here is how the operation works: You pick up your BOLs at the terminal, drive a 1/2 mile to get your trailer from the DC, and head out to your delivery. You have to manually unload the trailer, as standard operating procedure only logging 1/2 hour as on duty not driving. The rest of the time working on off duty. A 1200 piece floor loaded truck may take upwards of 3 hours per stop, usually two stops per day. While this is a way to cheat the e-log, it is also illegal. as per the HOS regs, you have 10 hours to work or drive in a 14 hour period. By the way, I was advised to work in this manner by "safety", saying this was the way we can save our drive time, and our 70 hour clock. I contacted Hogan main office, which they told me "...I know we run our operation strictly by the book..." . I quit because all I could think about was if anything were to happen, the first thing DOT would do is pull the black box, and contact the store where I spent 3+ hours, asking what I was doing there, since locations are logged by GPS; and of course the company would just deny, deny, deny. Hopefully this very short stint wont reflect poorly on my record, but I would choose to work for an honest company, not one who encourages drivers to take risks. I hope this helps out other drivers who just want to run, run safe, and run home.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:09 PM
Senior Board Member

"it is also illegal. as per the HOS regs, you have 10 hours to work or drive in a 14 hour period. "
Not really, you have 11 hrs of drive time and that has to be done within that 14 hour window. As far as not taking a full 10 hour break, that would fall on you, Good luck on a new job.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 05-23-2014, 09:29 PM
Board Regular

You need to go back and learn your hos regs a bit more.

You have a 14 hour window to complete your 11hour DRIVING time.

You can be On-Duty forever.

Once your 14 hour window is up, you can't start driving again until you have had 10 continuous hours off-duty/sleeper berth.

Safety is trying to save your 70 hour clock having you switch to off-duty.

What you decide to use the 70 hour clock time for depends on your company. If you get paid mileage, drivers will want to have as much of that clock on the driving line. Since you only get paid for time the wheels are turning.

Being on elog or paper doesn't change the ability to edit that fact.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:22 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I think you are shooting yourself in the foot. If you are not comfortable logging part of your time as off duty, then log it the way you want. No one will force you to log in a manner that is illegal. Only you can decide how you log.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:59 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I think you are shooting yourself in the foot. If you are not comfortable logging part of your time as off duty, then log it the way you want. No one will force you to log in a manner that is illegal. Only you can decide how you log.
Come on.... GMAN. You KNOW Hogan would fire him if he didn't log it the way they "want" him to. Even if they deny "telling" him to.

Are you insinuating that one COULD be "comfortable" with violating the HOS rules, if he was interested in making a little more money? I know you don't like the current HOS... neither do I.

But... are you "advising" drivers (some of them newbies,) to risk their CDL (meal ticket) or freedom (if an accident happens) to use whatever knowledge (or technology) they have to circumvent the agency that controls their careers?
Old 05-24-2014, 12:24 AM
Board Icon

mndriver said:

You need to go back and learn your hos regs a bit more.

Quote:
You have a 14 hour window to complete your 11hour DRIVING time.

You can be On-Duty forever.
FINALLY! Someone who understands the regs and doesn't misconstrue them in writing on this site! Thank you!

Quote:
Once your 14 hour window is up, you can't start driving again until you have had 10 continuous hours off-duty/sleeper berth.
OR the equivalent by "split logging." Illegal as it IS... I'm surprised Hogan isn't making them log 30 minutes for unloading, followed by NO LESS than 2 hours off duty or sleeper (on the first drop...) so that, at the end of the day, they can then legally "split" and take only 8 hours off (supposedly in the sleeper) before getting back on the road!

This would be a good place to point out that the SAME "specifics" apply to the NEW 8 hour rule. 8 hours after coming ON Duty... you MUST stop driving. But.... you can still work, or fuel your truck, on line 4 for a period of time (constrained only by the 14 hour clock, etc.,) and do NOT have to take your 30 minute break UNTIL you want to start driving again.

Also... anyone who has been told you MUST take this new 30 minute break between the 4th and 6th hour after coming on duty... please see me after class. lol. You DON'T!

Quote:
Safety is trying to save your 70 hour clock having you switch to off-duty.
Yes... but for YOU? Or Them? And... it is still ILLEGAL.

Quote:
What you decide to use the 70 hour clock time for depends on your company.
Not Exackery. lol. It depends on the regs. But, I see the point you are making. IF they want you to make deliveries... they should be figuring that time IN to your on duty time. AND... they should be paying "you" for that time. Cuz you won't make as much for the remaining "driving time."

Quote:
Being on elog or paper doesn't change the ability to edit that fact.
As I have just started using (or practicing) with ELOGS.... I am learning that. I don't even HAVE "editing" functions, but... I have already learned what HOGAN is trying to get away with! lol.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:52 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
Come on.... GMAN. You KNOW Hogan would fire him if he didn't log it the way they "want" him to. Even if they deny "telling" him to.

Are you insinuating that one COULD be "comfortable" with violating the HOS rules, if he was interested in making a little more money? I know you don't like the current HOS... neither do I.

But... are you "advising" drivers (some of them newbies,) to risk their CDL (meal ticket) or freedom (if an accident happens) to use whatever knowledge (or technology) they have to circumvent the agency that controls their careers?

I would never intentionally encourage a driver to violate the hos. The driver is ultimately responsible for what he logs. If I were constantly being pushed to violate the law, I would find another company. The problem with the current hos and elogs is that people still need to earn a living and we all do what we must to provide for ourselves and our family. However, I am not saying that anyone should violate the law.