User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2013, 08:35 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default accident

I have been a truck driver for 20 years. I was in an accident , it was misting, and I was doing a lane change when I hit a car. The car had to be towed but everyone was ok. This is my first accident ever. I got cited for illegal change. This is DOT reportable because the car was towed. My job suspended me. I have been calling to find out if I still have a job but getting runaround. Do you think I will lose my job and if so do you think I will be able to find another job. If so where . Thanks
Old 10-26-2013, 08:23 PM
Board Icon

Sorry to hear about this. It clearly sounds like an accident. Blind spots are dangerous enough when the weather is clear. One reason why we must ALWAYS be checking our mirrors and knowing where all the cars are around us.

Yes... I think they will probably fire you. It sucks, but that is the way MOST companies operate. Of course, you KNOW this after 20 years in the industry. If this is the only thing on your record (or DAC) I think you WILL get another job, but.... it will take time and perseverance. Don't give up.

Smaller companies are often self-insured and can take a chance on you. Your record should be a big help. You need to show them that you understand that you made a mistake and that you will be MORE aware in the future. Don't come off with an attitude.

You didn't give many specifics, so my answer is also kinda vague. I don't know about specific companies in your area, but some on here might if you will give more details about your location, company, etc.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:54 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Hopefully, you won't lose your job, but since they suspended you, I would expect a termination. They are likely investigating the accident before making a final decision. You could start looking around for another company before a final decision if you are concerned about it. It will take a while for it to show up on your MVR or DAC.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingjeannie5 View Post
I have been a truck driver for 20 years. I was in an accident , it was misting, and I was doing a lane change when I hit a car. The car had to be towed but everyone was ok. This is my first accident ever. I got cited for illegal change. This is DOT reportable because the car was towed. My job suspended me. I have been calling to find out if I still have a job but getting runaround. Do you think I will lose my job and if so do you think I will be able to find another job. If so where . Thanks
First things first.. legally there are three things that a company can with an employee legally when accidents or collision damage happens. 1. Lower your rate of pay for a period of time and of of course this is rarely used, but the lowering of pay normally means that any bonuses just went out the window for that period of time and you reset the clock to zero. 2. Suspend you for a period of time. This is what is going on now, you could be being suspended and under review for termination or you could be just being suspended as they clean up this mess and figure out what they are going to do and how much this is going to cost them. If you return to this job, you better be grateful and keep your poop in a group. Most smart carriers will NOT get rid of a GOOD employee for one collision.. depending on the severity of the collision. Injuries, deaths or massive amounts of property damage or cardinal sins like rollovers or rear end collisions will almost always mean the death of a driving career most of the time permanently. 3. Termination. This is something that could happen. but read number two carefully.. it may or may not happen. If you have been a good hand and not a troublemaker or whiner or a problem to them or your immediate supervisors.. you may keep this job.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:50 AM
Board Regular

Fozzy you dont know what youre talking about. In right to work states a company can fire you for any reason they want or even without one. In other states the rules are very varied.

OP it sounds like it to me. Im sorry that happened to you.. this particular kind of accident can happen to ANY of us. Heck we've all started a lane change after checking 10 times and had someone floor it trying to squeeze around us. If they do i wouldnt stress man any decent company is going to hire you. Make sure you tell any future employer about it and explain that it was an accident and that you werent just being an idiot.