User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2013, 03:59 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Will the new HazComm standard with GHS provisions affect Hazmat drivers?

Let me start off by saying I am completely new to the trucking business.

I have worked safety in construction for the past year and have a degree in safety management but have never worked much with transportation safety.

I very recently got a job as a Safety Director with a trucking company and am curious as to if my Hazmat drivers should take a training course for the new GHS provisions in regards to reading MSDS's and the different labeling.

Any info or opinions would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Thanks
Old 08-02-2013, 05:32 PM
Senior Board Member

This is an OSHA initiative. Drivers are regulated by DOT & FMCSA. I don't see anything on either of their websites concerning GHS. In most cases OSHA deals with plant employees who work with/around hazmat. Truck drivers aren't in that category we transport hazmat and are subject to different rules.

Welcome to trucking and CAD.

BtW I do deliver quite a bit of hazmat and haven't heard anything about additional training. It's the shippers responsibility to have ALL paperwork legal.

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln