User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013, 06:51 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Post e-logs and legalities

I am a o/o and the company I signed on with put in peoplenet for dispatch and log book but I am thinking that I must run a paper logbook do to the fact that the peoplenet is not tied in with my ecm and therefore does not fill out all of what's required. Such as the miles driven for the day. Could someone please confirm it is or is not DOT compliant.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:44 PM
Board Regular

if it has logging software why not use it instead of paper? it's the same thing. Though.. why not just get on the machine and ask dispatch?

You sound like you Want to run elogs.. thats nuts
Old 07-18-2013, 11:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Why is it nuts? I've had 4 inspections while running e-logs. They see the sticker and just check the truck itself. Sorry, but if I can't make enough money driving 100% legal then they're not paying enough and I don't want to work there.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:09 PM
Senior Board Member
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsavory View Post
I am a o/o and the company I signed on with put in peoplenet for dispatch and log book but I am thinking that I must run a paper logbook do to the fact that the peoplenet is not tied in with my ecm and therefore does not fill out all of what's required. Such as the miles driven for the day. Could someone please confirm it is or is not DOT compliant.
I'm not sure why they even consider that you are running an elog at all. If the Peoplenet is not tied into your ECM (unless the tuck is pre -1985) then you are no running an e-log. Peoplenet cannot even change duty statuses without being tied into the ECM via a "Performix" cable. There are portables units that hook into your ECM plug in the truck. So they need to get the system hooked up or you need to run a paper log. They COULD cite you for running TWO logbooks in they see that paper log and the peoplenet gear.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:58 PM
Rookie

It is completely legal to create your logs in an electronic method and w/ out engine connection. The rules regarding that are different. You can find further information regarding electronic logs here: BigRoad - FAQ
Old 10-11-2015, 06:55 PM
Senior Board Member

The only thing that an Elog really needs is some form of GPS to determine motion. I have been using Elogs for 4 years this coming December, and I have yet to see what any Elog would need from the ECM. Just because you start the vehicle doesn't mean you are on duty. Just because you shut it off doesn't mean you are off duty. Elogs can be edited as needed for sleeper, off duty, on duty with no problems. Only driving is basically written into stone, and that depends on motion. Any GPS in the Elog itself could do that. Just like the GPS in a cell phone. And it can measure distance via GPS. A app on my cell phone shows mph and distance travelled whenever I want. A simple app in a cell phone could do the very same thing as it pertains to Elogs. Now granted, the qualcomm set up in my truck is hooked up to the ECM, but except for a lot of other information like mpg, mph data, idle time, etc not really sure it actually needs anything from the ECM when it comes to the Elog.

And I think this is how it will be done what mandatory Elogs finally show up. For those older trucks that don't even have an ECM will probably use this method.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:50 PM
Rookie

ok, I have a very serious concern. I work for an o/o that is contracted to haul freight for one of the major corporations. having been forced into the elog compliance schedule by the company and not the person I work for, if I am mistaken, current regulations for paper logs dictates that the time zone in which logs are to be filled out is based in accordance to the home terminal. in regards to the elogs, shouldn't the same regulation dictate home terminal time zone, not corporate office time zone, be used for elogs?
Old 10-01-2016, 12:03 PM
Senior Board Member

That is how mine Elogs do it. Based on home base time zone.