User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 11:04 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question New career, old ghosts

Hello.

I am looking into getting my CDL to start a career in truck driving. I have been rummaging through the forums looking to see if there might be any hang ups before I start the process. About 8 years ago I failed a drug test for pre-employment at a retail chain store. One of the big ones. (I was a dumb art student and the world couldn't touch me. Now I Know better.) I may just be stupid but I was wandering if this would affect my ability to get my CDL or be hired by a major trucking company. As far as i know I never signed any release on the info to be sent to anyone. I just got a phone call saying i would not get the job. I have been driving van for a automotive part delivery company for 5 years and there has never been an issue or will there ever be.

Thanks for any light that could be shown on the situation.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:36 PM
Rookie

You can possibly get it expunged or sealed. But even so, know that the chances are good that a busybody at your future place of employment who knows a cop will dig it up somehow, and self-righteously notify your fellow workers, and possibly create problems for you.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:16 AM
Rookie

Ok. Thanks for the help. It was a long time ago and I will Just have to live with it.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:09 PM
Rookie

Maybe I'm missing something but if it was just a pre-employment screening for a company you never ended up working for then there will be no public record to worry about. It's not like you'll be putting info about jobs that you applied for but didn't get on any future job applications.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:45 AM
Rookie

Yeah I think your probably right. I found out you can get a free report from Hireright witch should resolve any lingering worries. I just saw how much emphasis was put on drug screening in the trucking industry. I did not want to make a move before I knew all the factors. I appreciate the help.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:36 PM
Board Regular

Theres a huge emphasis. Too much if you ask me. (ive never failed a drug test and dont take them). Heck sometimes i think we all must have been on drugs to become truckers in the first place.

Dont mention it on any applications and make them do your paperwork before you go off to school or orientation. All of it. Most companies dont do jack til youre sitting 500 miles from home hoping they dont tell you to walk home. Also it's 8 years old. A lot of companies dont care about anything beyond 5 years. And theyre right there no public record. Good luck
Old 03-29-2013, 08:19 PM
Senior Board Member

If the result of you test was reported to an agency, then it more than likely will be on a database. Before you spend any money on cdl training, get your DAC and check.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:52 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtbatrucker View Post
Hello.

I am looking into getting my CDL to start a career in truck driving. I have been rummaging through the forums looking to see if there might be any hang ups before I start the process. About 8 years ago I failed a drug test for pre-employment at a retail chain store. One of the big ones. (I was a dumb art student and the world couldn't touch me. Now I Know better.) I may just be stupid but I was wandering if this would affect my ability to get my CDL or be hired by a major trucking company. As far as i know I never signed any release on the info to be sent to anyone. I just got a phone call saying i would not get the job. I have been driving van for a automotive part delivery company for 5 years and there has never been an issue or will there ever be.

Thanks for any light that could be shown on the situation.
Anytime I've taken a drug test for a job other than trucking, things like pre-employment screening, it was "IN HOUSE ONLY" and did not get recorded in any central data base. As long as it was not a "driving job", and you did not get the job, seems to me that you do not have to list jobs you did not get. If they're not listed as a previous employer, there should be no reason to contact them. That is... Guessing that the job you were applying for was not a driving job. They did not hire you. They are not part of your work reference.

And, as to the DAC... If you have never had a driving job that required a CDL, you should not, as yet, have a DAC listing. I could be wrong, but my understanding is that they do not keep records of every driver in the country, only COMMERCIAL DRIVERS. If you did not have a CDL, I doubt very much that they even know you. I'm not a pro at this, but my thoughts would be...

You never did drugs, and... YOU NEVER WILL ! ! ! ! !

Old 09-19-2013, 07:06 PM
Rookie

I agree with above, you were a no hire. You are on their list maybe, but after 8 years you might even get a job with them lol. Apply for the trucking job, don't list the failed test. I see no problem. They didn't call the cops and have you arrested so no report anywhere. Like he said, never did them never will!
Old 12-31-2013, 02:17 AM
Rookie

All you can do is try don't just worry about it do it, if your of good character and you can show them that then I see no reason not to give you a chance but keep in mind the trucking industry is regulated up the gazoo.

Tags
career, cdl, drug test, new hire