User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 12:14 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default High blood pressure

Found out after my last checkup that my blood pressure is on an increase. Right now it's averaging close to 140/80. I know that's the cutoff for the FMCSA with a shortened physical. My question is what is the full details with high blood pressure and my physical? Is it only a yearly physical, or are there any other limitations? My doc has me monitoring my bp daily. I'll go back in 3 months for a follow-up. He said if it stays where it is, or increases, he'll start me on meds.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:58 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
Found out after my last checkup that my blood pressure is on an increase. Right now it's averaging close to 140/80. I know that's the cutoff for the FMCSA with a shortened physical. My question is what is the full details with high blood pressure and my physical? Is it only a yearly physical, or are there any other limitations? My doc has me monitoring my bp daily. I'll go back in 3 months for a follow-up. He said if it stays where it is, or increases, he'll start me on meds.
Actually, the cutoff is 140/90. You are legal for a 2 year cert up to and AT that level. Anything over (and not WAY high) and you get a 1 year cert (and probably get drugs.) As long as the drugs keep you under that level, you can continue driving if each yearly physical keeps you at or below that level. [not such a bad trade off.]

However.... MOST doctors will give you time to lie down and "relax" to bring your b/p down. I've learned that resting on your LEFT side is extremely helpful (don't know why.)

IF you can "relax" it down to a level below the cutoff, you pass for a 2 year cert. Many of us get "lab coat syndrome," which elevates our B/P everytime we go to the doctor's offfice.

But, BEFORE you consider drugs.... there are many dietary and exercise options that can reduce your B/P naturally, and would then allow you to continue getting a 2 year cert.

But, IF you still have problems keeping it below 140/90 (even at a good "rest state,") you should consider the drugs. They can save your life, and as long as they are WORKING to keep you below the cut-off, a physical (and med card) once a year is not such a high price to pay for keeping your job.... AND your life.

FYI... the diastolic number (the second one) is the killer. If you're at 80... you're not in too much danger. But... like me... you should look at some life changes.

Last time I went in... (did you read my thread on that?) I was intitially about 160/112! Of course.... I think I had just read some of Robertt's comments in the politics section! 30 mins of resting on my left side... and I was below the cutoff and would have gotten the 2 year cert if the IDIOT hadn't misread the instructions about hernias!

I've visited your facebook page, and you just LOOK like a guy who enjoys some good ole' Virginia "salt cured ham." If so... you might need to cut it down (or out) of your diet. I don't put salt on ANYTHING I eat. I figure it's got enough salt already and I just load up on the pepper for taste.

I would suggest more exercise, but... you looked pretty trim for an old fart! But, the trick is to keep up the aerobic exercise to reduce your B/P. Eat whole wheat bread, cut out the biscuits, and limit the eggs.

If you have any more questions, I'm full of answers. lol! First thing is....don't get upset about it! It will only raise your B/P!

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Thanks for all the info. It's definitely not the labcoat syndrome since I've bought a monitor and using it at home and in the truck myself. It's pretty much always at the same level. As for my diet, I also don't go for salt - never have. It's also not my cholesterol (or anything else they can get out of a normal blood/urine screen taken during a physical). When the doctor called me to give me all of my results, he said I'm the first driver he's EVER had in his 50+ years he's been practicing medicine with numbers that I have. High blood pressure does run in my family, mainly on my mothers side, but to a small extent on my fathers side as well. The excercise is the tough one, especially right now, being winter. There's no way I'm going to make a few laps around a truckstop parking lot in a snowstorm. I'm just too much of a wimp for that - LOL.

Cut out the biscuits??? WTF would biscuits & gravy be like without 1/2 the ingrediants? And eggs? They go so natural with biscuits & gravy! I normally only have them once a week, anyway.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:20 AM
Senior Board Member

while you don't use the salt shaker, you still need to take a cold hard look at your diet. there are a lot of processed foods that have tons of salt in them. for example some cereals, canned veggies, deli meats, canned soups, spaghetti sauce, snacks like nuts, pretzels, potato chips, all have a fair amount of sodium and in a day it can all add up on you.

if you still think it's not your diet then look at stress in your life and ways to counter act it.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:11 PM
Senior Board Member

When I was a teenager I had a major problem with blood pressure. After reducing my salt intake by half (I was putting salt on everything) my BP went down. Until I started putting on weight and acquiring diabetes, the my BP shot up again. I finally had to get on to medicine. I cut back on salt considerably, I've also added cinnamon to a lot of my dishes.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:26 PM
Senior Board Member

That's what drives me insane. My wife is a salt freak. She heavily salts everything she eats. If I do add salt, it's very little (just enough to taste). My blood pressure is high (well, almost) and hers is absolutely perfect.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:04 AM
Senior Board Member

mal, do you drink soda? switch to water/UN sweet tea. i 90% of the time drink water. RARELY a soda. my dad was going though the same thing and he did what i said.. dropped.. also stopped with the candy, started eating more fruit and cut back his food intake in general.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:56 AM
Senior Board Member

I drink on average maybe an 8-pack of 12oz bottles of soda in a 7-day stretch.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:15 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Find a healthfood store and buy some Hawthorn Berry. You may also want to get some Niacin. Hawthorn Berry works for many people to reduce blood pressure without taking medication which has side effects.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:02 AM
Senior Board Member

I'll check into that this weekend. Thanks.