User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Window Tint - what is the penalty?

Hello everyone. My first post here. I do not have a CDL or drive a big rig but we run 5 trucks that are under 26k but over 10k and used for interstate commerce so we have to comply with a lot of the FMSCA stuff. We have to do log books, medical cards, commercial inspections, have fire extinguishers, triangles, DOT number, etc. That being said 90% of the time we run in state in Texas and none of the rules apply to us but sometimes we go out of state and they do. Further my truck is under 10k unless I have a trailer and I only have a trailer when we are moving between job sites so most of the time when we are out of state they do not apply even then unless I have a trailer. We are in the oilfield and I often spend all day in my truck in the heat here and it sure would be nice to tint my windows up to the Texas max.

FMCA rules state 70% on front sides and whatever you want on back and back sides. Texas allows the same on back but 25% up front. I am tempted to go with the with the 25% but I am wondering what happens if you get caught with it while under commercial rules. Is it a ticket you just pay and go on, or are you red tagged or what? As little time as I spend driving under the commercial rules odds are I won't get stopped much. I think so far this year I have only spent 6 days driving with a trailer out of state.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:41 PM

keep in mind most windows all ready have a little tint in them say factory puts 5% and you add 25% that = 30%, that is were most driver get in truble, know what yr factory tint is and add to it so you dont go over. if you get a ticket they will have you remove it on the spot.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:56 PM

the FMSCA 70% refers to light passing thou window, if your trying to take it down to 25% light (75% dark tint ) and have to go thow scales.. ya dot will stop you
Old 07-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Board Icon

Always go with what the Feds say if in doubt.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Senior Board Member

I know if the truck is licensed in West Virginia, you can't have any tint whatsoever on the front windows. Period.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Rookie

I know what the law is - I am not questioning that. I am just wondering what the penalty is. I only fall under the FMCSA regulations maybe one or two days a month. If it is a serious penalty then I will leave them legal but if it is just a minor fine I think I will tint them and take my chances. I have only been stopped by the DOT once in the last 4 years. If it is $100 penalty then I will take my chances if it is $1000 then I won't. I have no idea what commercial citations cost I have never had one.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Board Icon

While I've never had a tinting violation in a CMV I had one in a car. It would have been a fine of $150 but it was dropped due to the removal of the tint. My only CMV ticket thus far was an overload ticket, it was cheap IMO. More than likely it's the same amount for a CMV as it is a car, at least here in VA it is.