User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default transportation authority

My company is currently an intrastate carrier.We deliver building materials to our lumber yards and our customers.We have been approached to pick up materials for another customer at a manufacturing plant and deliver it to their location or to one of their customers.I was wondering what other permits do we have to acquire?I was told we have to get a transportation authority.We are located in Texas
Old 06-30-2012, 03:45 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you want to haul freight across state lines then you will need motor carrier authority. There is a one time $300 filing fee. The only two requirements is that you have registered agents in all states in which you plan on doing business and a minimum of $750,000 liability insurance. You also will need to set up an IFTA account. There is no charge but unless you have an account you will need to get a trip permit every time you cross a state line. That is more expensive than setting up an IFTA account. If you are a member of OOIDA they will act as your registered agent at no charge. If you don't want to handle the paperwork yourself, they can also do that for a fee. You can do it all on line yourself and save the money.