User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

OK, here's an update. I finally made the call to DPS. They got back to me quicker than I expected actually. Someone from the Lieutenant Colonel's office called me back this afternoon. After I explained the whole situation to him and told him what all the guy had said, his response was "He said what ??" Long story short, he agreed with me, the Officer was unprofessional and way out of line. He also assured me that this is NOT the mentality of DPS. Was he playing me? Not sure, but at this point at least someone knows what this Officer is up to when no one else is looking.....even though someone was with him at the meetings. He said he was going to pull him in and discuss these matters and would get back next week. Guess I'll wait for his response....

Thanks for all the input at this point, it's much appreciated....
Old 05-08-2011, 05:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Well.....Let us know if the company you work for sees an increase in the stops by ADPS. OR...If you get a dress-down from your boss for making the call as well!!
Old 05-08-2011, 11:17 PM
Senior Board Member

So Rev. is a D.O.T. cop now??? :lol: :smokin:
Old 05-09-2011, 12:41 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jteamomaha View Post
OK, here's an update. I finally made the call to DPS. They got back to me quicker than I expected actually. Someone from the Lieutenant Colonel's office called me back this afternoon. After I explained the whole situation to him and told him what all the guy had said, his response was "He said what ??" Long story short, he agreed with me, the Officer was unprofessional and way out of line. He also assured me that this is NOT the mentality of DPS. Was he playing me? Not sure, but at this point at least someone knows what this Officer is up to when no one else is looking.....even though someone was with him at the meetings. He said he was going to pull him in and discuss these matters and would get back next week. Guess I'll wait for his response....

Thanks for all the input at this point, it's much appreciated....

I think you made the right decision to get with this guy's boss. It will be interesting to see if actually gets back with you and what he has to say after discussing the matter with the guy.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:46 AM

The Company doesn't know....and I didn't broadcast it. Only a couple of other coworkers know I talked to them. I also learned that one of the Drivers who has been in the Safety field for years and testifies at Federal Court cases filed a Federal level complaint. The Feds were not amused with his comments as I understand. Lots of things in the mix right now but will let you know what transpires from here....thanks again for all the input.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:26 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I can hardly wait to hear the outcome of this situation.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:41 AM
Rookie

I tried to PM the original poster with no luck so I'll ask here.....did this LEO's last name end with a R? I have dealt with an Arizona DPS officer with the exact same demeanor and even same quotes...i.e. it sucks to be you etc. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by azclimber; 05-21-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:55 PM

Tried to PM you as well azclimber.....actually no, his last name starts with a "W."

There is an update to this.....will post it tomorrow, you'll find it interesting.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:27 PM

Just wanted to see if this is working,...posted a lengthy reply and it won't post....
Old 05-24-2011, 07:04 PM

OK, I'm going to try and not be too lengthy with this, I want to re-emphasize the meaning of my original post. I am NOT upset with my Company, I am NOT unhappy in my job. I have been careful not to mention their name here. Our Safety Supervisor acting on behalf of the Company did the right thing in asking DPS to attend our safety meetings, what we received is not we had hoped for in my opinion.

As it turns out, there were in fact things going on behind the scenes I did not know about. As I understand it, sometime after the meeting I attended this Officer was pulled off to the side and asked to please tone down the “it sucks to be you” comments. A handful of Drivers who attended after that actually say they learned something and were happy with the meeting. I also understand that the conversation that I had with DPS in the Lt. Colonel’s office wasn’t confidential as I thought it was. In a conversation with the Safety Supervisor on Saturday she told me that he “slipped” and gave my name. Personally I don’t think it was a slip, I think he wanted her to know exactly who called. It’s OK, I did nothing more than express an opinion…one in which DPS agrees with me, or at least they claim to. Two other Drivers were going to call but were asked not to because the Company was already on it. She says they sent copies of the recorded meeting to the DPS Office. She also agrees with me that the Officer was unprofessional.

I thought I had heard it all, but as I understand as well, this guy made another outrageous statement in another meeting that I was not attending. He proclaimed in front of the group that he likes writing tickets in a certain part of the State because, in his words….”I’m in good with Judge “X” … when I go into Court I have a 13 page citation, your driving record and you don’t stand a chance. If perhaps this is true it opens up another whole can of worms. I spoke with my Cousin who’s an Attorney in another State and she understands completely, this sort of thing happens all the time. However, that being said, if someone decided to force the issue and there was an investigation, not only would the Officer be brought up charges, but the Judge could (and probably would) be removed from the bench. Every case they worked together would have to be retried with taxpayer dollars. I certainly am not pursuing this, frankly I can’t be bothered with the expense and time involved and I feel the guy has enough going against him already. I’m passing it along for informational purposes only. Correct me if I’m wrong, but last I knew one had the right to face their accusor, have their case heard, and is presumed innocent until proven guilty. Not with this guy, he’s already told us he’s won, just because he and the Judge are buddies….pitiful.

Those that liked the meeting were asked to sign a letter that is in the Dispatch Office. In the sense of fairness I’m passing it along for your opinions, it reads as follows:

Department of Public Safety
To Whom it May Concern

The Drivers of _____ are writing in regard to the safety meetings held earlier this month.

We would like to thank You and Officers “X” and “X” for their time. We appreciate their honesty and candor in responding to our questions regarding the new Federal Law CSA 2010. We wish to thank them for their personalinsight as to what they are looking for while on duty keeping our highways safe. Officer “X” was very knowledgeable and managed to keep the meeting light and entertaining while discussing the importance of Federal Rules and Regulations relating to Truck Drivers and their equipment. Officer “X” answered every question and gave us valuable information to use daily in our effort to be safe.

The majority of Drivers felt that Officer “X” being brutally honest was more informative than offensive. This knowledge encourages us to remain vigilant doing our part to keep our trucks and roads safe. We want to maintain a good reputation of safe and responsible Drivers for our Company.

Thank You again for making your Officers available and your continued support.

I’m not really sure who the author is, but time to pick it apart.

1. If you’re looking for “brownie points” with this guy, you’re out of luck, If he pulls you over he will crucify you, his words….
2. If you think the majority of Drivers is in agreement with you, that is a huge misconception on your part.
3. While Officer “X” may have plenty of knowledge, his level of unprofessionalism was off the charts.
4. Perhaps you need to look up the word “candor” in the Dictionary. One of the definitions is “freedom from bias, to be fair and impartial" Honesty and candor do not go together where this guy is concerned.
5. If you consider such statements as “It sucks to be you” – “It’s my job to put the screws to you” – “If I have an argument with wife and I’m in a bad mood, I’m going to get you for everything I can” and “I like writing tickets in a certain area because I’m in good with the judge” to be nothing more than brutally honest, then perhaps you need to look up those definitions as well. And ultimately, I’m even more worried about being stopped by this guy.

As of now, that’s it. I have to step away from it, my blood pressure is up and frankly, I’m sick of dealing with it. What happens now is out of my hands. I would still appreciate any and all comments. If anyone thinks I’m being unfair, feel free to speak up. I’ve tried to keep it factual as well as expressing an opinion….

Please be safe out there, I hope you don’t have a change encounter with DPS here anytime soon…..

There are other rumored things to be going on with this Officer, but I will not pass along until I get them confirmed...

Last edited by jteamomaha; 05-24-2011 at 07:10 PM. Reason: misspelled word.....