User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2011, 07:52 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Mexican Trucks Coming for Your Jobs?

I posted this on another board, and I'm surprised drivers aren't talking about this. This will have a profound affect on all drivers if Obama gets his way:

Mexican trucks to be rolling across U.S. in 6 months
Old 01-22-2011, 03:03 PM

I especially like this part:

"The DOT currently is in the process of identifying available dollars to fund the Mexican truck phase-in pilot program, and it plans to go to Congress only if the program negotiated with Mexico demands additional resources that only Congress can authorize."issedoff:
At a time when every other government program or project dependent on government funding like highway projects is facing decreased funding or a total lack of funding, they can somehow find money for horseshoot like this! Who cares about Mexican sanctions on our products.

Once this program is up and running, you can bet your butt it will never go away, regardless of the safety compliance and accident history of these trucks.

The powers that be seem content to allow this thing to steamroll through. Will these trucks be held to our standards or will Lahood tell DOT officials and inspectors to turn a blind eye to violations in order to appease the mexicans. Is this program still one that only allows them to enter the US to deliver a product and return to Mexico like we treat or mistreat the Canadians, or will these mexicans be roaming around willy-nilly doing point to point deliveries. :thumbsdown:

Why do we have such a protectionist attitude towards our borders with Canada, when we share a common language, and have fairly consistent laws? Then we turn around and allow a third world country with a long raging violent drug war, a weak government, terrible economy and no parallels in language, laws , or lifestyle to make demands on us and force things like this on us.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Down in S. Texas, they already are here. They are plating and stationing there trucks in the border towns of Brownsville and Laredo, but run the 48 AND Mexico. i see at least 20 a day with both texas plates and MEXICO plates on the truck and trailer. They got it figured out already........

but if it becomes legal for them to cross the border as part of NAFTA, not only will freight rates drop to near nothing, but also all the Canadian drivers on here can kiss their jobs good bye. They will no longer be needed to run all those auto-parts and such from Ontario to the border as the mexican drivers will truck-it-up from border to border and do it for 1/2 the price!!!
Old 01-22-2011, 06:23 PM
Rookie

They will surely run point to point in U.S. cities. They may not right away, but they will. I'd be willing to bet most trucking companies are all for this. They will have cheaper labor, less regulations, and if there is an accident they can say he was a Mexican driver and they are not responsible for the driver or the operator. U.S. companies wont have to train drivers anymore. It will be just as hard to get a job in trucking as it is in IT and other manufacturing fields now. Really, every driver in America should stand up agains this right now! There needs to be a call for a nationwide strike to shut down all shipping and say drivers are not going to stand for this.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Board Regular

I was listening to the Bozo on road dog the other day and he mentioned he read somewhere that someone was saying that if trucking companies wanted to save on cost in driver wages they need to support the mexican trucking accord... although I couldn't find this article anywhere. If this is indeed correct we'll be obsolete within a few years and at that point they might as well just disband the border patrol and remove the fences because it'll just be the starting trend for other companies to follow suit. I suspect that if this continues the "American Way" is in jeopardy of existing... talk about frustrating!
Old 01-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Senior Board Member

I remember when they opened the Canadian border for cross-border trucking. The EXACT same arguments were stated then.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:18 PM
Board Icon

Well, Canada has much better standards than Mexico.

Why are WE allowing them to control what goes on in this country? THEY are calling the shots not us on this and that is complete BS. Tell them where to shove it and pull the industry that we have sent down there back home where it belongs. Bring the jobs home and let them suffer for trying to control our country. They are doing the same thing with the whole border patrol deal, THEY are telling us we need to have a more open border and not arrest or detain illegal crosser's yet they do worse than us on their Southern border. They will make illegal crosser's disappear for good if caught with no money and that comes from an illegal I know who has made the journey from Honduras. He said the Mexico BP is MUCH worse than the US. The US will send you home to try again, Mexico will just kill you or let you rot in jail unless you have bribe money.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:04 PM
Rookie

Mexico has imposed a 20% tarriff on 90 different types of good coming into Mexico because they haven't been able to get their way. But, the United States has not retailiated with imposing a 20% tarriff on their goods coming into the U.S. This has to be part of Obama's vision for the systematic destruction of America without anybody ever having to fire one single shot. The American middle class are the ones always being displaced by the desperate workers from 3rd world countries. This is why we have 17% real unemployment in the U.S., and it is only going to get worse with these types of stupid policies like letting Mexican drivers take our jobs.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Thems peeple is difrent frum us! Thay dont talk like us and theys brown! next thay will take your wife too! deefend urselfs!

Just kidding to point out a theme repeated time and time again throughout history. The problem is not whatever ethnicity or nationality or religion of migrants coming from far away places but a lack of a trade policy and idiotic trade agreements like Nafta and the world trade organization we were sold with promises of cheaper goods and services. A country cannot maintain its economy if nothing is made in it. An economy cannot be based on giving eachother haircuts and asking 'do you want fries with that?' the solution is to exit from these trade agreements and start making stuff here again and come up with a trade policy. We havent had one since the 1980s and we are feeling the result more than ever. Unfortunately the big banks and transnational corporations that are profiting from cheap overseas labor and loopholes are very powerful and they are the ones that are running this country. As long as politicians are beholden to big business this will not change. Im sorry i wish i could give people more hope, but change has to come from the ground up; The masses have to he aware of these facts and they are not, those same big businesses are running our media and they do not want you to realize that this country worked well before we stopped protecting our economy, allowed big business to buy our political process and determine what is said in our media.

Last edited by One; 02-06-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endzone View Post
I posted this on another board, and I'm surprised drivers aren't talking about this. This will have a profound affect on all drivers if Obama gets his way:

Mexican trucks to be rolling across U.S. in 6 months
Reading the article you posted i notice : "The George W. Bush administration launched a highly controversial demonstration project, but in March 2009, President Obama signed the $410 billion Omnibus Funding Bill that included provisions withdrawing funds from the DOT with the goal of terminating the program. "
Notice how it sais G.W.Bush launched...Obama withdrwing funds for this program with the goal of terminating it...So its not OBAMA getting his way and destroying the american industry, just to hold you to account, brother!

Read more: Mexican trucks to be rolling across U.S. in 6 months Mexican trucks to be rolling across U.S. in 6 months