User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2010, 03:03 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Preventable accident question

I know what a preventable accident is and a nonpreventable accident is. What I need to know is whether minor little incidents show up on your DAC or just major DOT reportable accidents show on it? For instance, a year ago I hit a curb with a trailer tire and bent the rim and blew the tire out. My company ruled it a preventable which I understand. My boss stated that although it was ruled a preventable by the company it won't be reported on my DAC because it is not considered a DOT reportable accident. Any insight into this or relevant situations is appreciated.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:15 PM

DOT reportable:

Three things: fatality; need for immediate medical attention away from the scene (=ambulance or helicopter transport); vehicle disabled (in an accident) and must be towed. I'm not sure if CSA 2010 will add to what is DOT reportable--someone else here might know.

DAC reportable:

Just about anything an employer chooses to report, preventable or not. If your carrier isn't reporting your tire/rim incident to DAC, you're lucky; I'm sure some carriers would. You might want to check your DAC file just to be sure; it's free.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:14 AM

Depends on the company; i was rearended once at a red light---no damage to either vehicle so non-DOT reportable but the company still reported it to DAC.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Sounds like you boss doesnt report preventables to dac...lucky u...he can still change his mind.