User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Updating log book...

My question is about updating your log book into the next working day. My scenario is I usually leave with my load anywhere from 9p.m.-12a.m. and drive to Albuquerque, N.M. which is roughly 8hrs 15min drive with a load. Now on occasion I will drive the entire route without stopping but most of the time I will stop for a break anywhere from 2a.m. to 6a.m. the next working day. My co-worker was telling me that it's a good idea to stop and take a break to update your log book before I get to the NM. Port of Entry just in case they pull me in and want to see my log book. He also stated that they can give me a ticket for not having an updated log book if it's a certain amount of hours into the next day. So my question is, is there a certain amount of time that you have to have your log book updated into the next working day even if you haven't changed your duty status, in my case driving an entire 8hrs to my destination?
Old 03-09-2010, 02:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy View Post
My question is about updating your log book into the next working day. My scenario is I usually leave with my load anywhere from 9p.m.-12a.m. and drive to Albuquerque, N.M. which is roughly 8hrs 15min drive with a load. Now on occasion I will drive the entire route without stopping but most of the time I will stop for a break anywhere from 2a.m. to 6a.m. the next working day. My co-worker was telling me that it's a good idea to stop and take a break to update your log book before I get to the NM. Port of Entry just in case they pull me in and want to see my log book. He also stated that they can give me a ticket for not having an updated log book if it's a certain amount of hours into the next day. So my question is, is there a certain amount of time that you have to have your log book updated into the next working day even if you haven't changed your duty status, in my case driving an entire 8hrs to my destination?
section 395.8
(f)(1) Entries to be current. Drivers shall keep their record of duty status current to the time shown for the last change of duty status.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:30 AM
Senior Board Member

log book needs to be current to LAST change of duty status.. so as long as you don't slip up and mention stopping anywhere and your book is current to where you started driving on yesterday's page- you should be OK. That being said- it will raise a red flag with 8 hours of continuous driving.. prompting the SOB in the scale house to start calling scale houses you've crossed(cleared) during your trip-then he will average out and probably accuse you of something. Also, don't go "correcting" or suddenly remember that 15minute stop you forgot to log. Now, by that 1 admission-- you've hung yourself... could get both a "falsification" and "not current" citation. The "out of service" criteria still says you can be behind on your log book (1) the current day & (2) the previous day (as long as you have the previous 6 days. So depending on what time of day it is .. i.e. early morning 2am-- you could be a total of 26 hrs behind and he can't place you out of service... or if it's 11pm you could be 47 hours behind and not be subject to "out of service"-- there isn't a certain 15 minutes or any other precise max amount of time they "have" to give you to MAKE it current. And they can still ticket you for not being current-- but at least they arn't suppose to be able to place you OOS.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Senior Board Member

There used to be scale on the I-5 in CA that would check you out real good if your last update was over 4 hours. Doesn't mean you're in trouble , but it's not fun when they look everything over real good. Haven't been through there in a few years so not sure if that's still the case.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Board Regular

Thanks for your posts, it does help me out a little more. I guess I should of specified that when I do take a break I do update my log book, usually a 15min. break. Like I said though on occasion I will drive the entire 8hr15min route without stopping and thats what I was wondering about if I could get in trouble for not being on line 3 into the next working day but I feel more confident now. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:01 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy View Post
Thanks for your posts, it does help me out a little more. I guess I should of specified that when I do take a break I do update my log book, usually a 15min. break. Like I said though on occasion I will drive the entire 8hr15min route without stopping and thats what I was wondering about if I could get in trouble for not being on line 3 into the next working day but I feel more confident now. Thanks.
Just tell them that you talked to me and i said it was ok............. :smokin: