User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog View Post
how can an equipment violation be a moving violation? exactly what did the ticket say?

that's a good question.

Knowingly operating a vehicle without........... XXX.

I would guess.

Welcome to CSA2010.. and it's just getting started.
Driver's will be held responsible for Vehicle violations EVEN VEHICLES OWNED by others! i.e. company drivers better be checking their trailers for proper reflective tape.. and getting it fixed when needed... there goes more time wasted (unpaid) while you wait at TA for a grease monkey with a 10ft ladder to climb up there and afix the [ ] L shaped pieces of that crap on your trailer.

The reason why you've been so luck in the past not getting nailed is... that guy was a A-Hole. you have to really be looking hard to remember all the little crap you can nail a driver for- if you had struck up a conversation with him.. maybe he wouldn't have been so anal retentive and focused on collecting a few $$$ for Oregon.

Yes, I agree with the other poster... this whole "safety" thing is mostly just about MONEY. Not real safety.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Senior Board Member

MAYBE, just MAYBE, when he pulled in the reflection blinded the scalemaster and he decided to say somethign to the driver and the driver then became beligerant and earned himself a ticket
not saying that's what happened, but it's possible
I mean using the "it may be illegal, but I have always gotten away with it so far" defense, usually doesnt work too well
Old 02-03-2010, 03:26 AM

Sorry Chunker, I wasn't trying to be an ass when I hit the Weed exit, I was on the phone being told to turn around and go right back to Reno. I was tired, out of fuel and more than a little p!ssed off at the lack of communication between our marketing department and customer service. Needless to say I wound up driving back to Reno then doing all over again on Saturday which put me even later consider I was supposed to be in Mt. Vernon, WA by 5:00pm on Friday. I was the one who had to keep calling the customer and telling him "I'll be there tomorrow I promise". I finally made it on Sunday and although he was glad that I finally got there he was a little put out that he had taken Saturday off after I missed my Friday appointment.

On to the DOT and Oregon, cdswans was quick with a guilty verdict but I got a call back from the judge in Umatilla and after discussing the ticket with her she had me e-mail her a picture of the truck then she called back about 30 minutes later and dismissed the ticket completely.

As for the mirrored stainless being a hazard at night, we discussed this with our local DOT people as well as the folks at Featherlite when we bought the trailer and no where is there any regulation saying that we can't run this way. Besides having the mirror running all the way to the ground on the back saves my eyes when some moron decides to drive along with his high beams behind me.

Fredog, I didn't get p!ssed off till after the jerk handed me a "TRAFFIC" ticket written against me for a "MINOR" equipment violation. As for the "we have always got away with it" defense, Featherlite built this trailer and put the graphics on it. Because they used "DOT" reflective material for the graphics they felt it was legal. Ryder runs thousands of trucks and they say it's legal as well.

After discussing the whole fiasco with Fetherlite, Ryder and some other industry experts today I'm going to go ahead and put the bare minimum required under the federal regulations just to avoid the hassle but I will still never go into Oregon again.

And one last thing Chunker, the CB in here has never worked since the day I got the truck 3 years ago. In fact looking at the antennas, they aren't even hooked to the coax and there's no fuse in the power cable.

Last edited by catalinaflyer; 02-03-2010 at 03:29 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:25 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

I absolutely have no idea why are you so mad when obviously you're at fault. If everyone else can have a reflective tape on their trailer why shouldn't you, are you special or something?

I've seen trailers much better than yours have the tape, even those NASCAR ones, hell, i drive a tanker and i have it. Why would you even risk it, why not just put the damn tape on or are you more worried that it will impact that shiny look of yours.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:35 AM
Senior Board Member

He said he was gonna put the tape on.... He and featherlite and the local D.O.T. thought they were legal. Why are you busting his balls???
Old 02-06-2010, 02:44 AM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdrfd View Post
He said he was gonna put the tape on.... He and featherlite and the local D.O.T. thought they were legal. Why are you busting his balls???
Am not busting anything let alone some balls.

When you were taking a written test for your CDL, wasn't there a procedure that explained how to do a proper PTI, one of those things was making sure your reflective tape is clear before starting each trip, and if damaged to get it replaced.

Local DOT should be out of the job for not knowing simple FMCSA rules, as for the driver i dont know, but you shouuld not even have to ask anyone is it ok to put the damn thing on..
Old 02-08-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejanh View Post
When you were taking a written test for your CDL, wasn't there a procedure that explained how to do a proper PTI, one of those things was making sure your reflective tape is clear before starting each trip, and if damaged to get it replaced.
First off when I took my written test it was for a Class A chauffeurs license, the CDL hadn't even been thought of and there was no such thing as reflective tape. I've probably been driving longer than you've been alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejanh View Post
Local DOT should be out of the job for not knowing simple FMCSA rules, as for the driver I don’t know, but you should not even have to ask anyone is it ok to put the damn thing on..
I should have to ask because the manufacturer said that the trailer complies with all FMCSA - DOT rules. They build them and they know what is required. The "local" DOT officer here is one of the trainers for CVSA and I would be willing to bet he as forgot more about trucking regulations than you will ever know. In the past 5 days I have had 6 different officials in my shop looking at the trailer and ALL of them have said that with the reflective materials used for the graphics being red and white and covering more than 50% of the length of the trailer that it technically is legal. The only thing that isn’t the rear door because the graphics are centered and don't cover from side to side and don't have the right angles at the top.

But just to make you, the internet truck regulation expert happy I have spent $493.78 and had the red/white tape with the appropriate DOT number on it applied to the sides and back of the trailer just exactly as the FMCSA rule requires.

And one last thing, the trailer I pull is EXACTLY the same trailer as every NASCAR team out there except I ordered mine with a closed tandem because I regularly go into Canada and a flat floor with belly boxes for storage. I'm sure you have seen lots of trailers nicer than mine and I have seen many tankers nicer than yours but I'm not jealous of your job so I guess this thread is finished.

Have a nice day!
Old 02-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Geez,have a cup of coffe and calm down.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinaflyer View Post
First off when I took my written test it was for a Class A chauffeurs license, the CDL hadn't even been thought of and there was no such thing as reflective tape. I've probably been driving longer than you've been alive.

I should have to ask because the manufacturer said that the trailer complies with all FMCSA - DOT rules. They build them and they know what is required. The "local" DOT officer here is one of the trainers for CVSA and I would be willing to bet he as forgot more about trucking regulations than you will ever know. In the past 5 days I have had 6 different officials in my shop looking at the trailer and ALL of them have said that with the reflective materials used for the graphics being red and white and covering more than 50% of the length of the trailer that it technically is legal. The only thing that isn’t the rear door because the graphics are centered and don't cover from side to side and don't have the right angles at the top.

But just to make you, the internet truck regulation expert happy I have spent $493.78 and had the red/white tape with the appropriate DOT number on it applied to the sides and back of the trailer just exactly as the FMCSA rule requires.

And one last thing, the trailer I pull is EXACTLY the same trailer as every NASCAR team out there except I ordered mine with a closed tandem because I regularly go into Canada and a flat floor with belly boxes for storage. I'm sure you have seen lots of trailers nicer than mine and I have seen many tankers nicer than yours but I'm not jealous of your job so I guess this thread is finished.

Have a nice day!
Now, I have to take your side, the manufacturer should know the requirements and follow them
I was looking at the fmsca website and it does say the tape has to be alternating red and white.
how about a picture of the trailer now that you put the ugly tape on?
Old 02-11-2010, 12:29 AM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

Quote:
First off when I took my written test it was for a Class A chauffeurs license, the CDL hadn't even been thought of and there was no such thing as reflective tape.
Dont you have to retake it every once in a while?

Quote:
I've probably been driving longer than you've been alive.
One more reason why you should have known better than me..!

Quote:
I should have to ask because the manufacturer said that the trailer complies with all FMCSA - DOT rules.
You are driving it, not them and its up to you/us to follow new rules and procedures, you know that.

Quote:
They build them and they know what is required.
Obviously not....

Quote:
The "local" DOT officer here is one of the trainers for CVSA and I would be willing to bet he as forgot more about trucking regulations than you will ever know.
Why didnt you let him pay your ticket then? He has shown how much he knows I think..

Quote:
In the past 5 days I have had 6 different officials in my shop looking at the trailer and ALL of them have said that with the reflective materials used for the graphics being red and white and covering more than 50% of the length of the trailer that it technically is legal. The only thing that isn’t the rear door because the graphics are centered and don't cover from side to side and don't have the right angles at the top.
You driving ,,longer than am alive'' should also know that it doesnt matter what he/she says, its about whats in the book, not whats common sense..

Quote:
I am not the expert, if you want to be sarcastic then go right ahead, you are the one with the ticket. I am just telling you what is in the book, if you dont believe go ahead and read up, you may learn something new.
Quote:

Have a nice day!
Tanker isnt mine so i dont care how it looks..

Thank you