User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2010, 05:06 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

what about eating a cheesburger, talking on the phone without a handsfree device, looking at my newest playboy, and uhmm..doing what i do while looking at playboy, all at the same time?? is that cool? oh, and that is with my wiggles.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:53 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

EJECT - EJECT - EJECT !!

hahahahahaha ( cof ) ... I just made Snowman take an exit.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Board Icon

Breaking news:... UPS driver run off of road by crazy driver. It appears that this driver has been accused to roadhogging.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 01-27-2010, 07:49 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd112488 View Post
, looking at my newest playboy, and uhmm..doing what i do while looking at playboy,
Thats no problem Jed cuz from what I hear your hands probably wouldnt be away from the wheel for all that long anyway. From a time standpoint thats much safer than texting while driving!:rofl:
Old 01-28-2010, 12:14 AM
Senior Board Member

I support the practically unenforceable ban absolutely! Bravo! I'll call it proactively unenforceable. How are you going to catch someone before anything bad happens? On the other hand, I'll bet it will be very effective in reactive enforcement:

If you find yourself in an incident (collision, most likely) of any measurable consequence and you're still alive, you'll be asked to surrender your phone and when you wisely decline, LE will waste little time in getting a subpoena for it and your phone records. They did it before the ban. Now, they'll have a new crime to add to your list and a little something extra for plaintiffs lawyers to use against you.

As for the "feel good" aspect of this, GMan is correct. It's going to make your employer, where applicable, feel very good when it's lawyer can stand up in court and declare "Not only was this lout in violation of our clearly stated company policy, he/she was also breaking the law! Surely you'll consider this as you apportion the blame!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
As Jack said, fine whatever but how about going after the 4 wheelers while your at it Dept. of Transportation. Don't allow it to be a secondary offense either.
The DOT's authority extends only to the "Federal" CDL. It's up to the states to police their own dls.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:53 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Distracted, with a twist . .

Man Talking On Cell Phone Run Over By Tractor-Trailer - Kern County Mountain Area News Story - KERO Bakersfield

"The CHP said that it's important to remember that cellular phones remain a distraction for both pedestrians and motorists."

What they didn't say is whether or not the driver is facing any charges.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:48 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I don't think that anyone should be texting while driving. It is all that I can do to talk on my cell phone while checking the computer for loads and driving. I can't imagine texting along with everything else. :lol:

I would not be surprised if they came up with a way to include 4 wheelers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdswans View Post
The DOT's authority extends only to the "Federal" CDL. It's up to the states to police their own dls.
I'm not arguing against the ban of texting (or calling without hands-free) while driving. Do I text while driving my poor little Ford Focus? I did, when the phone I had used a regular keypad with T9 and I didn't have to look at it to "type". Admitting that, I refuse to use myself as an example of the average driver, 4 wheeler or not.

I agree with what CDSwans said. The only reason the USDOT is bringing this up against CDL drivers is that the feds have no means to affect 4 wheelers. The only Constitutional way for there to be a national legislation affecting 4 wheelers in this matter is for Congress to make it a mandatory condition for states to receive federal highway money. It worked to make the "national" drinking age 21, and it will work in this case. Whether the current riff-raff in office consider it enough of an issue to do so is another matter.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:41 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

As far as I'm concerned, whether we're talking truckers or 4-wheelers, it's only common sense to not be texting while driving. Unfortunately, more and more people are lacking in common sense, which forces the government to make a law about it.

It's the same dumbed down populace that has forced companies like Sunbeam to put warning labels on their toasters saying something to the effect, "making toast while sitting in a bathtub full of water makes you a complete moron, so don't do it."

And make no mistake, 4-wheelers are probably a whole lot more guilty of it then drivers are, because a lot of drivers understand they are supposed to be professionals. But 4-wheelers are dying every day because they are Darwin candidates. Had a 15 year old girl here locally just recently kill herself and her 17 year old passenger, because she was texting while she was driving to school. 15 years old! And let's not forget the 5 teenage girls last year in Georgia, I think, that were in a head-on with a truck because all five of them were texting! Just graduated high school 2 weeks prior and now they are dead.

Common sense...where has it gone? :roll:

Old 01-31-2010, 08:24 PM
Senior Board Member

From the CNN article:

Quote:
The focus on texting while driving comes after a few high-profile accidents.
In September 2008, a California commuter train engineer missed a stop signal while trading text messages with a friend, leading to a collision with a freight train that killed 25 people, according to federal investigators.
A mass-transit accident in Boston, Massachusetts, injured 62 people in May. The operator of a Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority trolley later was charged with gross negligence after admitting he had been texting seconds before the collision with another trolley, according to the Suffolk County district attorney and a National Transportation Safety Board official.
In light of the mass casualties in these 2 incidents, have they banned texting for train engineers too, or just for drivers of CMV's?

Old 01-31-2010, 08:40 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kranky View Post
From the CNN article:

In light of the mass casualties in these 2 incidents, have they banned texting for train engineers too, or just for drivers of CMV's?

Not sure, but I think that was done some time ago.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.