User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Golfhobo-

Here's a link to another board with a very good explanation. Check out "Truck Industry Regulations" a woman named "LogsRUs" has done a great job of explaining. I was doing it wrong prior to finding her. Splitting works great for me, it has really reduced my paperwork. Now I can run with just 2 logbooks instead of three or four.

Truckers' Trucking Forum | Largest Class A Message Board - The Premiere Truck Driver Forum

-Jack Kerouac, "Mexico City Blues"

Last edited by LightsChromeHorsepower; 12-06-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightsChromeHorsepower View Post
Golfhobo-

Here's a link to another board with a very good explanation. Check out "Truck Industry Regulations" a woman named "LogsRUs" has done a great job of explaining. I was doing it wrong prior to finding her. Splitting works great for me, it has really reduced my paperwork. Now I can run with just 2 logbooks instead of three or four.

Truckers' Trucking Forum | Largest Class A Message Board - The Premiere Truck Driver Forum
I read your reply and searched for the hos example. LogsRUs does a good job at explaining this stuff over there.They have several posts and here is a link to the word doc they created with a good example. http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tru...reak-first.doc
Old 12-06-2009, 11:13 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Golfhobo-

As much as I appreciate your thought and effort, LCH.... apparently, you didn't realize that I was being sarcastic. :roll:

I have NEVER had any problem with split-logging, and in fact, am well known here for MY explanations of it. But, I'll check your link. Always interested if someone can explain if more simply than me. But, I doubt it.

My reply to GMAN was to get him to further incriminate himself. His original post had a minor error, and I knew he would make it worse if he "elaborated."

It's not that I WANTED him to make it worse. I just KNEW he would.... and he DID!

Split logging is apparently difficult for MOST truckers, and is misunderstood by many. Furthermore, it is mis-Explained by many oithers. These miscomprehensions (like the Rev used to do) can lead to drivers getting expensive tickets and/or OOS violations.

Let's look at what GMAN said after I asked him to explain:

Quote:
You must take a 10 hour break before driving past the 11 driving or 14 total on duty.
This is a bit confused, but basically is true.

Quote:
For instance, if you drive for 10 hours and take a 8 hour break then drive 2 hours you will be in violation since you have not taken your entire 10 hour break.
Thix ALSO is true, since you cannot drive 12 hours without fullfilling the requirements.

Quote:
However, if you drive 10 hours, go into the sleeper for 8 hours you can only drive 1 more hour before having to stop to take the 2 hour minimum rest break.
He is ABSOLUTELY correct here, although WHO would DO IT that way?

Once you take the 2 hours you have completed your 10 hour sleeper berth requirement and you now have 11 hours of driving time again.

THIS is where he got confused, and gave bad info to other truckers who come here for advice. That ONE HOUR of driving before the 2 hour break counts against your 11 AND your 14. At this point, you have ONLY 10 more hours of driving before you must take the other 8 hour S/B break.... and the 14 hour clock started at the END of the previous 8 hour break! In other words.... you have NOT completed your "10 hour requirement" at ONE TIME.... your are SPLITTING!

You have ONLY 10 more hours of driving before taking your 8 hour S/B again. GMAN is wrong here.... and if you follow his advice, it could cost you alot of money!

The important thing here is NOT "who" can give you logging advice, but who can give you the CORRECT logging advice. Mistakes cost MONEY in this business.

Quote:
You cannot go past the 11 hours driving or 14 hours on duty before taking the entire 10 hour sleeper berth break, whether you split it or not.
I really have NO IDEA what he is trying to say here, but.... I'm pretty sure it is WRONG. There is no such requirement ANYWHERE in the regs for an "entire 10 hours in the sleeper berth!" :eek2::hellno:

Quote:
Some carriers want drivers to take the complete 10 hour break to avoid them being in violation.
Sadly, these carriers are smart enough to know that the average driver is NOT smart enough to understand the regs.... so, play it safe. DON'T allow them to utilize a ruling that could HELP them.... cuz MOST of them can't figure it out, and it will only cost the company AND THE DRIVER money! :hellno:

Sad state of affairs, if you ask me. I have TRIED. And I am growing weary.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.

Last edited by golfhobo; 12-07-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:02 AM
Board Regular

Sorry Golfhobo, I didn't catch your drift.

GMAN is so easy to trip up, it's almost not fair.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:16 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Sorry Golfhobo, I didn't catch your drift.

GMAN is so easy to trip up, it's almost not fair.

Perhaps you would care to explain it since I am so easy to trip up?
Old 12-10-2009, 02:28 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
As much as I appreciate your thought and effort, LCH.... apparently, you didn't realize that I was being sarcastic. :roll:

I have NEVER had any problem with split-logging, and in fact, am well known here for MY explanations of it. But, I'll check your link. Always interested if someone can explain if more simply than me. But, I doubt it.

My reply to GMAN was to get him to further incriminate himself. His original post had a minor error, and I knew he would make it worse if he "elaborated."

It's not that I WANTED him to make it worse. I just KNEW he would.... and he DID!

Split logging is apparently difficult for MOST truckers, and is misunderstood by many. Furthermore, it is mis-Explained by many others. These miscomprehensions (like the Rev used to do) can lead to drivers getting expensive tickets and/or OOS violations.

Let's look at what GMAN said after I asked him to explain:

This is a bit confused, but basically is true.

Thix ALSO is true, since you cannot drive 12 hours without fullfilling the requirements.

He is ABSOLUTELY correct here, although WHO would DO IT that way?

Once you take the 2 hours you have completed your 10 hour sleeper berth requirement and you now have 11 hours of driving time again.

THIS is where he got confused, and gave bad info to other truckers who come here for advice. That ONE HOUR of driving before the 2 hour break counts against your 11 AND your 14. At this point, you have ONLY 10 more hours of driving before you must take the other 8 hour S/B break.... and the 14 hour clock started at the END of the previous 8 hour break! In other words.... you have NOT completed your "10 hour requirement" at ONE TIME.... your are SPLITTING!

You have ONLY 10 more hours of driving before taking your 8 hour S/B again. GMAN is wrong here.... and if you follow his advice, it could cost you alot of money!

The important thing here is NOT "who" can give you logging advice, but who can give you the CORRECT logging advice. Mistakes cost MONEY in this business.

I really have NO IDEA what he is trying to say here, but.... I'm pretty sure it is WRONG. There is no such requirement ANYWHERE in the regs for an "entire 10 hours in the sleeper berth!" :eek2::hellno:

Sadly, these carriers are smart enough to know that the average driver is NOT smart enough to understand the regs.... so, play it safe. DON'T allow them to utilize a ruling that could HELP them.... cuz MOST of them can't figure it out, and it will only cost the company AND THE DRIVER money! :hellno:

Sad state of affairs, if you ask me. I have TRIED. And I am growing weary.

Perhaps I wasn't clear on a couple of things. I understand that noone is going to take a break and only drive 1 hour after a break before taking the rest of their 10 hour break. Basically, as I understand it, the split berth provision states that you can split your sleeper berth time but one break must be at least 8 hours and the second must be at least 2 hours so that you take a total of at least 10 hours before exceeding your maximum driving and on duty time. You cannot exceed your 11 hours of driving time or 14 hours of on duty time without taking the entire 10 hour break. Or you could just take your entire 10 hour break at one time and not have to worry about the split berth provision. It does make it easier to log if you don't have to worry about going over your hours with the split berth provision. How does that work for you, Hobo?
Old 12-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
Perhaps you would care to explain it since I am so easy to trip up?
I just did

Old 12-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I just did

No you didn't!!!
Old 12-13-2009, 03:40 AM
Senior Board Member

If you think this is bad...... just think what health care rules will look like.issedoff:
Old 12-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Board Icon

GMAN said:

Quote:
Perhaps I wasn't clear on a couple of things. I understand that noone is going to take a break and only drive 1 hour after a break before taking the rest of their 10 hour break.
Yet you gave such an example... and THEN suggested that they would get back their entire 11 hours of driving after taking the second break. (this is a standard mistake from many who think that once you have completed the SPLIT break, your 11 and 14 hours are RESET at zero. Not true.)

Quote:
Basically, as I understand it, the split berth provision states that you can split your sleeper berth time but one break must be at least 8 hours and the second must be at least 2 hours so that you take a total of at least 10 hours before exceeding your maximum driving and on duty time.
This is true and is a standard response that most can understand. It's when you elaborate that you make mistakes and confuse the subject.

Quote:
You cannot exceed your 11 hours of driving time or 14 hours of on duty time without taking the entire 10 hour break.
Correct about the 11 hour driving. But, you can exceed the 14 hour "on duty window" to work on line 4 as long as you wish BEFORE taking the REMAINDER of... or the entire.... 10 hour break. You just cannot DRIVE past the 14 hour limit until the "cumulative" 10 hour break has been taken.

Quote:
Or you could just take your entire 10 hour break at one time and not have to worry about the split berth provision. It does make it easier to log if you don't have to worry about going over your hours with the split berth provision.
True.... but a copout... and not what we are discussing here.

Quote:
How does that work for you, Hobo?
Not real well, GMAN.... but, about par for the course. I don't think you have a problem understanding the rulings for yourself.... but, like SO MANY others, you confuse the subject when you try to expound on it.

It only takes ONE little slip up in understanding or explaining these rules to cost oneself.... or OTHERS.... a huge chunk of change when the DOT looks at their logbook.

I am not trying to "trip you up" GMAN.... nor to make fun of you. I DO respect you (though we disagree politically.) I know you have great common sense and more than enough intelligence to have survived for so long as an O/O in this business.

But, your ability to understand and operate under the NEW rules MAY not be matched by your ability to explain them clearly... without a SINGLE contradiction. THIS is what trips most people up. They say what they believe they understand, but they mis-state ONE aspect of the rules.... and that blows the whole thing.

THIS one thing is my specialty. Why is it so hard for many of you to give me that "one thing?" I don't always understand it myself. But, I can pick out a single word, or a spelling, or a concept that is incongruent with the rest of the person's "position" or a "ruling" or the regulations. I actually KNOW why a person says the wrong thing.... because I KNOW what thought has confused them.

One of the biggest ones concerning this topic is what "resets" the 11 and 14 hour clocks. MANY think that ONCE the second break has been taken.... fullfilling the 10 hour requirement.... that the clocks are reset to a FULL 11 and 14 hours. Not true. The "reset" (when split logging) goes back to the END of the previous break. And ALL calculations start from there.

You may find my post to LCH interesting as it pertains to his link to someone who he believes explained it well. Do you remember a poster here named DAWN???

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.