User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2009, 01:47 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default More Log Book Questions

The truck I drive is apportioned for several states, but I spend 99+% of my time in California. I normally run my log book on 12 & 16 hours, as per California law. My question is, when I do leave the state I know I have to go to 11 & 14 hour cycles, but how long do I have to continue on 11 & 14 after I get back to California? I normally continue the 11 & 14 for a week. My logic is that I only keep a weeks worth of back log sheets with me, so that is all a CHP or DOT would ever see.

I am engaged in a contentious debate over this with another driver who knows all about everything. (I keep telling him he would fit right in on this board) He is of the opinion that if the truck is apportioned, you have to log 11 & 14 even if the truck never leaves California.

He also has a differing opinion on how to fill out a log book. I have always thought that the "From" and "To" entries at the bottom of the page were connected to the BOL# and Shipper & Commodity entries just above and to the left. I have always entered the point of origin and destination of the load. He says I should write in where I start and end the day.

-Jack Kerouac, "Mexico City Blues"
Old 11-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Senior Board Member

I don't know the answer on a first question, it's kind of a "grey area", but i believe, he is correct on a second one.....
Old 11-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightsChromeHorsepower View Post
The truck I drive is apportioned for several states, but I spend 99+% of my time in California. I normally run my log book on 12 & 16 hours, as per California law. My question is, when I do leave the state I know I have to go to 11 & 14 hour cycles, but how long do I have to continue on 11 & 14 after I get back to California? I normally continue the 11 & 14 for a week. My logic is that I only keep a weeks worth of back log sheets with me, so that is all a CHP or DOT would ever see.

I am engaged in a contentious debate over this with another driver who knows all about everything. (I keep telling him he would fit right in on this board) He is of the opinion that if the truck is apportioned, you have to log 11 & 14 even if the truck never leaves California.

He also has a differing opinion on how to fill out a log book. I have always thought that the "From" and "To" entries at the bottom of the page were connected to the BOL# and Shipper & Commodity entries just above and to the left. I have always entered the point of origin and destination of the load. He says I should write in where I start and end the day.
It used to be, that you had to write in, where you started each day and ended each day. That is no longer required by DOT. It was dropped back in 92-93.

As far as your "operating cycle".....I think you are probably right on staying with the 11/14 once returning to Cali, for 7 days. Ask at a Coop.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:39 PM

[QUOTE=LightsChromeHorsepower;467055]The truck I drive is apportioned for several states, but I spend 99+% of my time in California. I normally run my log book on 12 & 16 hours, as per California law. My question is, when I do leave the state I know I have to go to 11 & 14 hour cycles, but how long do I have to continue on 11 & 14 after I get back to California? I normally continue the 11 & 14 for a week. My logic is that I only keep a weeks worth of back log sheets with me, so that is all a CHP or DOT would ever see.

If the truck is used in interstate service, that is, travelling in more than one state; it is a good practice to stay on a 11/14 cycle as it makes it easier for you to be in compliance with the federal regulations at all times. Is it required? Not really. But it can make it easier when a DOT officer examines the paperwork.
The hours of service rules apply to the driver dependant on where the truck travels (greater than 100 air miles from home terminal, or not) not on how the truck is apportioned, IIRC
But you still will be under the regulations for maintaining the proper rest breaks (10 Hours federal) as well as the requirements for a restart, along with the need to have copies of the last 7 days in your possession. These are required to prove compliance with the 60/70 hour rule.
Best practice is to take some time and talk it over with your company's saftey department, You may even find some tricks that they know to help you.

YIS,
WRI