User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2009, 06:27 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Logbooks...

Beings that I have been driving locally for 99% of my career I haven't had to run a logbook and now that I've started to run from Sacramento to Reno occasionally, I have a few questions.

1) If I only make the run a few times a month, how do I handle the stretches of days (maybe 7-10) that I am only running local and don't need a log?

2) If I start the run at 3pm and I don't get back to the yard until 1am, do the miles that I ran from midnight to 1am go on the first days sheet or do I have to figure it out and put it on the second day that I may or may not work. (I think I may know the answer to this one, but I want to pass it by the pros that work with logs on a daily basis.)

3) I always log for a pre-trip at the beginning of the run, but do I need to log a post trip at the end? Seems like I should know the answer but I don't so I rather ask then have the DOT give me the answer in the scale house

Not sure if it matters but the local job and the Sac-Reno job are with two different companies.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTrucker View Post
[SIZE=2]Beings that I have been driving locally for 99% of my career I haven't had to run a logbook and now that I've started to run from Sacramento to Reno occasionally, I have a few questions.

1) If I only make the run a few times a month, how do I handle the stretches of days (maybe 7-10) that I am only running local and don't need a log?
Your answer lies in the interpretation for 395.8:

Question 20: When a driver fails to meet the provisions of the 100 air-mile radius exemption (section 395.1(e)), is the driver required to have copies of his/her records of duty status for the previous seven days? Must the driver prepare daily records of duty status for the next seven days?

Guidance: The driver must only have in his/her possession a record of duty status for the day he/she does not qualify for the exemption. The record of duty status must cover the entire day, even if the driver has to record retroactively changes in status that occurred between the time that the driver reported for duty and the time in which he/she no longer qualified for the 100 air-mile radius exemption. This is the only way to ensure that a driver does not claim the right to drive 10 hours after leaving his/her exempt status, in addition to the hours already driven under the 100 air-mile exemption.

So all you need is a log for the days your trip required you to travel outside the 150 mile air radius. You may want to print this regulation out in case the DOT gives you a hard time.

Interpretation for Part 395.8: Hours of service of drivers - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Quote:
2) If I start the run at 3pm and I don't get back to the yard until 1am, do the miles that I ran from midnight to 1am go on the first days sheet or do I have to figure it out and put it on the second day that I may or may not work. (I think I may know the answer to this one, but I want to pass it by the pros that work with logs on a daily basis.)
They go on a separate log sheet. Your log has to be complete from midnight up until 3 pm when you start the run. You don't simply start logging when you leave.

Quote:
3) I always log for a pre-trip at the beginning of the run, but do I need to log a post trip at the end? Seems like I should know the answer but I don't
If it takes you 15 minutes or longer, then yes. Otherwise you flag it with the city and state, and the amount of time it took:

Question 1: How should a change of duty status for a short period of time be shown on the driver’s record of duty status?

Guidance: Short periods of time (less than 15 minutes) may be identified by drawing a line from the appropriate on-duty (not driving) or driving line to the remarks section and entering the amount of time, such as “6 minutes,” and the geographic location of the duty status change.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Board Icon

Please note, however, that all of this is moot, because Sacramento to Reno should fall within the 150 air mile radius that does not require logging, assuming you are returning to your work reporting location every day.

Part 395.1: Hours of service of drivers - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

The online FMCSA regulations state it is 100 air miles, but the distance was changed in the 2005 HOS changes to 150 miles. They really should update that thing.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:09 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago View Post
Please note, however, that all of this is moot, because Sacramento to Reno should fall within the 150 air mile radius that does not require logging, assuming you are returning to your work reporting location every day.

Part 395.1: Hours of service of drivers - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

The online FMCSA regulations state it is 100 air miles, but the distance was changed in the 2005 HOS changes to 150 miles. They really should update that thing.
:clap::thumbsup: Thanks Rev., the last time I actually had to keep a log was before the HOS changes, hell I don't even think the guy that I am working for is aware of it, because he mentioned the 100 mile rule.:roll: And yes I do return to the same yard every day:thumbsup:

Old 10-16-2009, 03:49 AM
Board Regular

Quote:

They go on a separate log sheet. Your log has to be complete from midnight up until 3 pm when you start the run. You don't simply start logging when you leave.
Most logbooks are setup from midnight to midnight same day. I have seen logbooks that run from noon one day to noon the next day. I don't know where you get these logbooks, but apparently they are legal because they cover a 24 hour period.

395.8(8)i,ii,iii Time base to be used.

The 24 hour time standard is set by your terminal.

Last edited by danske; 10-16-2009 at 03:56 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

Just a question, if you cross state lines arent you still required to keep a log? I thought the 150 mile limit was only intrastate and not interstate.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:24 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeshock View Post
Just a question, if you cross state lines arent you still required to keep a log? I thought the 150 mile limit was only intrastate and not interstate.
Nope.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

January 2009 update shows 100 air mile radius.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Board Icon

yeah, they messed it up.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:17 AM
Senior Board Member

I keep the updates for 3 years in a seperate book,total of 4 updates to that page. All have the 100 mile radius. So where would you find this 150 mile radius? I find it hard to believe that 3 years and 4 updates would still have a misprint.