User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

This has been an issue with TX for years. And for good reason. Having a flap on a truck or trailer that is flapping wildly or runs a foot off the pavement is as good as not having no mud flap at all.

In your case it may have been a questionable stop, but there are plenty of Mexican trailers and gravel buckets running around TX with this situation and they are trying to get a handle on the problem. Just be thankful it was a warning only.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Senior Board Member

I also think it's a pretty reasonable rule and should be inforced, as long as you only got a warning seems fair enough to me.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:01 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Well, I've talked to two other drivers that have been pulled over for the same thing. In my case, the officer did not find any violations other than the mudflaps. In one case, the driver let his logbook go for 4 days without making any entries. Obviously, shut down and fined. The other had his log page completely filled out when he started out the day.:hellno: (I've NEVER had the balls to do that) Another shutdown for a false logbook. I'm beginning to think the mudflaps gives them a good reason to pull the driver over and check him/her out. In my case, all I got was a warning for the mudflaps. But the other two... OOS carries a monetary figure along with it. They did not say what it cost them.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Rookie
Default Dot strikes again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
Well, I've talked to two other drivers that have been pulled over for the same thing. In my case, the officer did not find any violations other than the mudflaps. In one case, the driver let his logbook go for 4 days without making any entries. Obviously, shut down and fined. The other had his log page completely filled out when he started out the day.:hellno: (I've NEVER had the balls to do that) Another shutdown for a false logbook. I'm beginning to think the mudflaps gives them a good reason to pull the driver over and check him/her out. In my case, all I got was a warning for the mudflaps. But the other two... OOS carries a monetary figure along with it. They did not say what it cost them.
I was looking for a better driving job, and then I see this thread. I run local, but it has really gone downhill since the economy went downhill. I think that I just may get outta trucking and try to get a job that you don't have to worry about the DOT trying to get money outta the truck drivers pockets. Besides, no money in trucking these days, unless you drive yourself ragged, always gone from home, worrying if you gonna make enough money to survive this economy. I know I will get hammered with being called a quitter, or worse, but it can be frustrating having to deal with trying to make a living driving a rig these days. The DOT only want their fair share of the truckers money.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
Sadly enough, DOT/Trooper/Local/ANYONE with a badge can pull a CMV for NO REASON WHATSOEVER. EVERY STOP is a "fishing expedition".

The mud flap was an easy citation/easy money and hard to beat in court. If you had a light out your CMVm in most states all you would have to do is show proof of correcting the violation, pay a small administrative/court cost and case dismissed. Different story in a CMV. Truckers have bulls-eye's painted on them. There's very few rigs out there that don't have at least ONE equipment deficiency - even if it's a minor one (like MUD FLAPS) that can be cited for. I go through my local farmers market (used as a truck stop since we have none in Ft. Lauderdale) and 1/2 the rigs in there should be put OOS for safety violations.

Rick
Old 10-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I think these people often use anything to pull you over and check things out. A friend of mine was pulled over in Ohio a few months ago. The officer told my friend that he was doing something like 72 mph, but he was not going to give him a speeding ticket. They inspected his truck and wanted to look inside his side kit to see how he had his load secured. Once they found he had a load of onions the let him go. My friend said that he wasn't going anywhere near 72 mph. I think that had he really been going that fast in Ohio that he would have been issued a ticket. I believe they just wanted to see how he had his coils secured. They are not supposed to pull you over unless there is just cause. If there isn't anything they can always make something up.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

These people are not supposed to pull you over without just cause. If there isn't a good reason then they can always make something up.:roll:
Old 10-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv View Post
Quoting from the ntea website: "Currently, there are no federal regulations governing mud laps or splash/spray suppression devices." However, many states do have mud flaps regulations. Texas is one of those states. Quoting from the Texas regulation: "They shall be located and suspended behind the rearmost wheels of such vehicle or, if in combination, behind the rearmost wheels of such combination to within 8" of the surface of the roadway. A tolerance of 4" will be allowed and shall be at least as wide as the tires they are protecting."

kc0iv
If the regulation says 8" and a 4" tolerance is allowed, then shouldn't 12" be acceptable? Also impressive that the cop can take an accurate flap-to-ground measurement "at-speed".
Old 10-05-2009, 03:26 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Clay Rambler View Post
If the regulation says 8" and a 4" tolerance is allowed, then shouldn't 12" be acceptable? Also impressive that the cop can take an accurate flap-to-ground measurement "at-speed".
Didn't you know?
It's called "CALIBRATED EYEBALLS"

Old 10-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

As long as the mudflap met the requirements while still I don't see how the cop could accurately gauge how high it went while going down the road. I think you could beat this type of ticket in court, provided you want to take the time.