User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2009, 10:53 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Has there been a recent crackdown on logs?

Somebody was telling me something changed March 1, 2009. Says a guy was investigated going back 10 years and they found 25 fraudulent logs. Jail time, prison, something like that. Lockridge supposedly covered it.

Has something changed? Myself, I drive slow (58-60mph), I'm usually nowhere near my 70, I match fuel, tolls, loading and unloading. Sounds pretty tame, huh? Even so, I often pull over like I am now and check message boards. I also take a 'can do' approach when I accept a load with a tight delivery time frame. You know, my logs and the satelite transponder may not match up, how shall I say this...'perfectly?'

Is this a new reason for concern? TIA
Old 05-19-2009, 11:04 PM
Senior Board Member

http://www.classadrivers.com/forum/n...care-read.html

Old 05-20-2009, 12:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrange View Post
Somebody was telling me something changed March 1, 2009. Says a guy was investigated going back 10 years and they found 25 fraudulent logs. Jail time, prison, something like that. Lockridge supposedly covered it.

Has something changed? Myself, I drive slow (58-60mph), I'm usually nowhere near my 70, I match fuel, tolls, loading and unloading. Sounds pretty tame, huh? Even so, I often pull over like I am now and check message boards. I also take a 'can do' approach when I accept a load with a tight delivery time frame. You know, my logs and the satelite transponder may not match up, how shall I say this...'perfectly?'

Is this a new reason for concern? TIA
10 years? Who would keep 10 years worth of logs around? Carriers are only required to keep them 6 months.

Last edited by Creek Jackson; 05-20-2009 at 12:43 AM. Reason: I like to edit!
Old 05-20-2009, 12:42 AM
Senior Board Member

I just try to be mindful of all the alligators out there. One minute you are doing your job, thinking about what you are going to do with your settlement once it is deposited, the next minute your fender gets busted up and you are out at least the deductible and out of work for a week or two.

Can you imagine pulling into the yard after a successful delivery on any ol' average day, only to be summoned into the office to learn you were audited and are facing a massive fine?

The guy I mentioned above, supposedly jail time. I might dig around and see if I can find anything written up on that.

Look, after I've slept for 7 hours, when I'm at my most energetic and alert, I like to crank the truck up and turn out some miles before I get hungry and start thinking about a break. Sitting there a couple hours just because I have to... This guy told me he arrived at his destination 7 hours before his delivery time. Claims he does it by the book. Says he called his company and asked them to move back his delivery time three hours so he'd be able to drive when he got unloaded. I don't want to bother my dispatcher with that. Turning down Canada loads is enough, other than that I want to make his life easy and just be one of the ones with whome everything pretty much flows smoothly and cordially. I also want good dispatches.

Anyway, if it gets too crazy, I may have to make some changes. I know how to get along fine, now. I won't be happy if I end up staring at the ceiling of my sleeper until my watch says I can go.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Jackson View Post
10 years? Who would keep 10 years worth of logs around? Carriers are only required to keep them 6 months.
See, that's what I thought. Are you sure that hasn't changed? If so, this guy was stone-faced serious talking a bunch of junk. I didn't get that impression.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

A guy, like Big Diesel or any other Owner Operator with their own authority, OR an O/O like either of us, whom drives his own truck, and uses the log pages for proof to claim the per diem.

Though we are only required to keep the paperwork 7 years...some keep everything, forever.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:01 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
See, that's what I thought. Are you sure that hasn't changed? If so, this guy was stone-faced serious talking a bunch of junk. I didn't get that impression.
From FMCSA 395.8;

(k) Retention of driver’s record of duty status. (1) Each motor carrier shall maintain records of duty status and all supporting documents for each driver it employs for a period of six months from the date of receipt.

Some people strive to lie to others, it is beyond me why they do that.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
A guy, like Big Diesel or any other Owner Operator with their own authority, OR an O/O like either of us, whom drives his own truck, and uses the log pages for proof to claim the per diem.

Though we are only required to keep the paperwork 7 years...some keep everything, forever.
Any type of record to show that you were in the truck would suffice. You don't need an hour by hour recap.

Come to think of it it would be easier to keep a record of the days you were not in the truck. Throw the rest of the stuff away.

Last edited by Creek Jackson; 05-20-2009 at 01:15 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
From FMCSA 395.8;

(k) Retention of driver’s record of duty status. (1) Each motor carrier shall maintain records of duty status and all supporting documents for each driver it employs for a period of six months from the date of receipt.

Some people strive to lie to others, it is beyond me why they do that.
The next question is, does my company pitch them at 6 months? I know this, they'll do what's in their best interest, not mine. I hope it's not getting too crazy. BTW, thanks for the reference. I appreciate anyone who comes up with good sources.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
The next question is, does my company pitch them at 6 months? I know this, they'll do what's in their best interest, not mine. I hope it's not getting too crazy. BTW, thanks for the reference. I appreciate anyone who comes up with good sources.
My guess would be is that most companies don't retain them beyond what is required by law. Larger carriers scan paper logs into a database, then they shuck the paper. How they periodically expunge the database I am not sure.

You might try gently asking how long your company keeps daily logs.:lol: