User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Miles driven and Total Mileage for the day?

When I was driving with Swift, I got used to their logs and how simple they were to use, no violations found from DOT, or Swift.

Now that I've been driving for a smaller company, I've had the misfortune of no Qualcomm, no Pre-Pass, and having to buy those JJ Keller logs that look completely different from the way the Swift logs are formatted.

The lines are easy enough to understand, but on top of there being no, "day 1-day 8" column on the side, there's also the entries upper/right-hand corner telling you to state "Total Miles for the Day" and "Total Mileage for the day".

So, I already know to put my total miles driven into the "Total Miles Driven" Box, but what do I put into the "Total Mileage for the Day" box?

Odometer Miles for the day?, Total miles for the day if I was team and the team-mates miles driven?, Or, should I just leave it blank, or just put the miles for the day driven in there as well?

I'll be so glad once I get back on with a carrier that has it's own, formatted logs.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Now you can leave it blank OR but in your team-mates miles. A few years ago you had to include all miles.

LOL...when your solo...you total miles driven and your total mileage for the day better be the same...unless you get off a truck and get onto a plane, to travel to another truck.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Total Miles/Mileage For the Day is suppose to be used for team operations to log how many miles the truck moved in that day (sum of each driver's miles). Solo drivers can leave it blank, though the DOT will not bust your wallet if you put the same number as you do in the miles driven line (solo driver).
Old 11-09-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
When I was driving with Swift, I got used to their logs and how simple they were to use, no violations found from DOT, or Swift.
Say what?

Quote:
10/21/2005 AZ-2005-239 Compliance Review

382.105 Failing to ensure alcohol/drug testing complies with Part 40 1 $500.00

382.305(i)(3) Failing to ensure that drivers are tested within the selection period. 13 $11,180.00

395.8(i) Failing to submit record of duty status within 13 days 20 $7,800.00

2 1/8/2004 AZ-2004-41 Compliance Review

395.8(e) Failing to properly enter duty status during meal stops 78 $37,440.00
Hmmm, I wonder what Golfhobo would make of this?

The miles is for the individual driver, not the team.

Quote:
§395.8 Driver's record of duty status.

(d) The following information must be included on the form in addition to the grid:

(d)(1) Date;

(d)(2) Total miles driving today;

(d)(3) Truck or tractor and trailer number;

(d)(4) Name of carrier;

(d)(5) Driver's signature/certification;

(d)(6) 24 hour period starting time (e.g., midnight, 9:00 a.m., noon, 3:00 p.m.);

(d)(7) Main office address;

(d)(8) Remarks;

(d)(9) Name of co driver;

(d)(10) Total hours (far right edge of grid); and

(d)(11) Shipping document number(s), or name of shipper and commodity.
Be safe.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:47 AM
Board Icon

Myth_Buster said:

Quote:
Say what?

Hmmm, I wonder what Golfhobo would make of this?
Well, wonder no more. Here's what I make of "this" (whatever "this" is.)

Bentstrider made a simple statement that HE had never received any log violations from either Swift OR the D.O.T.

Everyone but MythBuster "got it."

Since MB didn't "get it," he proceeded to list a bunch of violations that Swift had gotten from the D.O.T. As usual..... nonresponsive.

Quote:
The miles is for the individual driver, not the team.
Here MB appears to contradict Uturn, and he may be right. However, he STILL doesn't answer Bentstrider's question about WHY there are two boxes with similar but different headings... or WHAT should be entered into them. Once again.... nonresponsive.

395.8(d)(2) does not use the words "total mileage" and gives NO indication of what a driver should do with the two boxes and similar headings. And our resident FMSCR expert apparently has no answer that is of any help.

Why am I not surprised?

Be safe.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:15 AM
Board Icon

Total miles driven is how many miles you drove..
Total milage for the day, etc.. that's the total miles that was ran on the truck. (if someone else drove)
(i think )

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 11-09-2008, 06:00 AM

In the, TOTAL MILEAGE (TODAY), <<<odometer. i put in the mileage from the odometer, when I stop for the night,
and in the TOTAL MILES DRIVING (TODAY),<<<mile's driven. i add up the mile's that i have driven for today and put it in that box.

Driving Team, it look's like the entry can be both driver's mile's driven today, added together, and the mileage would still be the odometer mileage for that day.

I drive solo, but I would think if you share a log book, there's enough room on it to make a double entry, to show the mile's you have driven, and the mile's your partner has driven,
thats the way I would do it, and I would even initial next to the entries I make, in team driving.

I also put down mileage under the line of every city I stop at.

I also put down the state (abbreviate) and mileage next to the time I drove over the state line,
make's it easy for when I have to file mileage/fuel reports. I just go back thru the logbook, it's all at my finger tips.

The officer's that I have talked to like my log book just fine, I have been told that most driver's don't make the time to fill it out , let alone fill it out right, i fill mine out, before I start driving(make a line, on duty, driving) and when I stop driving (make a line, off duty or sleeper, name of city, mileage) and I do the math when i'm finished driving for the day, then set the next page up for the morning.

Last edited by fdmax; 11-09-2008 at 07:45 AM. Reason: name of city, not name a city....lol
Old 11-10-2008, 01:56 AM

Many logs have items that are not required by the FMCSR, i.e. Hours Recap; To and From;. Carriers are allowed to add items to a log book but no carrier may require less than the FMCSR.

The FMCSR is clear, GH is confused....

Quote:
§395.8 Driver's record of duty status.

(d) The following information must be included on the form in addition to the grid:

(d)(1) Date;

(d)(2) Total miles driving today;

(d)(3) Truck or tractor and trailer number;

(d)(4) Name of carrier;

(d)(5) Driver's signature/certification;

(d)(6) 24 hour period starting time (e.g., midnight, 9:00 a.m., noon, 3:00 p.m.);

(d)(7) Main office address;

(d)(8) Remarks;

(d)(9) Name of co driver;

(d)(10) Total hours (far right edge of grid); and

(d)(11) Shipping document number(s), or name of shipper and commodity.
Since the FMCSR applies to each driver then the total miles driven are for one driver.

When logs are examined each driver is examined individually; if warranted then co-drivers logs are compared to the driver's logs. On occassions when a driver has more than one co-driver in a month then each co-driver will be examined for false logs compared to the other driver.

GH, nothing personal, but I go by facts not statments by drivers. The response to BS proves that if Swift never had any questions regarding his logs then perhaps Swift didn't know what they were doing. The response to BS statement he never had any problems with the DOT demonstrate the statement as incomplete as Swift was penalized for drivers inaccurately completing their logs.

BS provided less that factual information, my response demonstrates that Swift had problems with their allowed logging practices.

My response also adds substance to my earlier statments to you regarding logging off-duty during a tour of duty.

Be safe.