User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2008, 01:22 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Alcohol and OTR

I recently got my CDL-A and I'm probably going to start up with Roehl shortly and the wife and I were discussing OTR minutae over dinner this evening.

When the subject of kicking back after a day of driving came up, I told her that what I learned in school is that drinking of any sort is a no-no with OTR. You aren't going to enjoy a beer with dinner or knock back a six-pack while watching a DVD in your cab. Hell, having a small bottle of Listerine in your toiletry bag is a violation.

She was rather suprised by all this, (especially that last one about the mouthwash). I'm correct, aren't I? I didn't dream this up, did I?

:?:
Old 07-17-2008, 02:12 AM
Board Regular

No alcohol in the truck cab!

And alcohol means liquor/beer/wine . . . Listerine or rubbing alcohol or NyQuil is fine.

ANY blood alcohol quantity, even .001% constitutes a DUI with a commercial license, and you career is over.

The law is 4 hours bottle-to-throttle. I say 8, and preferably 24.

-p.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:34 AM

Mouthwash is fine. Beer is not, Simply put, if you have to buy it in a bottle shop or another place that needs a liquer liscense to sell it then you can't have it in your truck.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Where there maybe company standards that have these high standards no such standard exist at the Federal level. Per 40.247 it says "If the test result is an alcohol concentration of less than 0.02,........." and if it is .02% or higher a second test is required.

If the second test is less than .04% you are not driving under the influence. See: http://www.drunkdrivingdefense.com/m...nses-cdls.html

I might also add only saliva or breath is permitted for alcohol testings. Per 40.277 as far as Federal laws.

There is NO law as to when you can drive after having consumed alcohol. The law is about what percentage of alcohol is in your system.

There are also no Federal law about alcohol in the truck cab. I'm not saying some local LEO might take exception and cite you with being under the influence.

I don't condone alcohol use while driving and many companies have a 0% where it comes to alcohol. However, many thing you read on here and elsewhere are urban legends and not base on the law(s).

kc0iv
Old 07-17-2008, 11:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
There are also no Federal law about alcohol in the truck cab.
Oh really:

Then how do you explain 392.5 of the FMCSA

Quote:
(a)(3) Be on duty or operate a commercial motor vehicle while the driver possesses wine of not less than one-half of one per centum of alcohol by volume, beer as defined in 26 U.S.C. 5052(a), of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954, and distilled spirits as defined in section 5002(a)(8)
Yes you could legally have it in the truck if you were off duty, but before going on duty you had better make sure that it is all out of that truck.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Quote:
There are also no Federal law about alcohol in the truck cab.
Oh really:

Then how do you explain 392.5 of the FMCSA

Quote:
(a)(3) Be on duty or operate a commercial motor vehicle while the driver possesses wine of not less than one-half of one per centum of alcohol by volume, beer as defined in 26 U.S.C. 5052(a), of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954, and distilled spirits as defined in section 5002(a)(8)
Yes you could legally have it in the truck if you were off duty, but before going on duty you had better make sure that it is all out of that truck.

Uturn2001,

The key is "Be on duty or operate a commercial motor vehicle while the
driver possesses........." There is nothing in this rule that says "make sure that it is all out of that truck." (I.E. non-driving passenger comes to mind)

I do stand corrected on the "NO law as to when you can drive after having consumed alcohol." Per 392.5 (a)(1) & (a)(2).

kc0iv
Old 07-17-2008, 05:16 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
Uturn2001,

The key is "Be on duty or operate a commercial motor vehicle while the
[/color]driver[color=green][b] possesses........." There is nothing in this rule that says "make sure that it is all out of that truck." (I.E. non-driving passenger comes to mind)
"Honest, Mr. DOT Officer. It's not my booze." :roll:
Old 07-17-2008, 06:52 PM
Board Icon
Default Re: Alcohol and OTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchmouth
I recently got my CDL-A and I'm probably going to start up with Roehl shortly and the wife and I were discussing OTR minutae over dinner this evening.

When the subject of kicking back after a day of driving came up, I told her that what I learned in school is that drinking of any sort is a no-no with OTR. You aren't going to enjoy a beer with dinner or knock back a six-pack while watching a DVD in your cab. Hell, having a small bottle of Listerine in your toiletry bag is a violation.

She was rather suprised by all this, (especially that last one about the mouthwash). I'm correct, aren't I? I didn't dream this up, did I?

:?:

No, you are not correct. Neither was your teacher, and neither are any of the other responses (totally.)

The "key" as someone mentioned.... is whether or not the CMV is "in operation." Idling while parked in a truckstop is NOT considered to be "in operation."

IF in operation.... anything less than .02 is not "actionable," as they consider this to be outside the "margin of error" of the testing equipment.

.02 UP to .04 will get you put "out of service" for 24 hours as a precautionary measure, but NO charges!

.04 and OVER will get you a DUI in a commercial vehicle and you will be out of trucking for a good while!

Having alcohol in your truck WHILE OFF DUTY, is not a violation! So, kick back with a SIX in the cooler and watch your movies. But, you DO need to make sure there are no full OR empties in your truck ONCE you get underway (it makes no difference WHOSE it is.... the DRIVER will be charged).... AND there IS a reg that says 4 hours from bottle to throttle.

IF you are off duty, and want to go next door to Ruby Tuesday's and have a beer or two with your steak, ENJOY!!! Just remember the 4 hour rule AND the BAC percentages I gave you!

It seems that "technically" the mouthwash IS a problem (as is nyquill,) but, I doubt SERIOUSLY that any DOT officer will cite you for them as long as you don't blow over the limits I mentioned!

Also.... as long as your CMV is not "IN operation," i.e: you are on your 10 hour break, sitting behind the wheel with the engine idling or the keys in the ignition is NOT a violation, as you are NOT considered to be "driving." And NO "alcohol related" charges can be filed. I don't recommend this, though! If the truck is idling, and you are OFF DUTY, and want to have a few beers..... do it in the sleeper!

The basic rule is NO alcohol, that is NOT on the manifest, is allowed on a CMV WHILE IN OPERATION! The CMV CANNOT be considered "in operation" if the driver is OFF DUTY and the truck is parked! Period!

However, this would be a good place to discuss the "private conveyance" rule. You CANNOT stop by and pick up some beer before you shut down for the night WHILE YOU ARE LADEN (under a load.) But, you CAN drop the trailer if it is loaded, and drive somewhere to purchase beer, as long as you don't drink it before you get back to your truckstop or wherever. And.... IF you are NOT under a load, you can drag your EMPTY trailer behind you, IF you want to, to go to Walmart OR the liquor store! But, I wouldn't suggest THAT either, and you better be close to where you are shutting down (and have NO preplan or dispatch on file for you.)

The regs ARE very specific about the alcohol content of things like nyquil and mouthwash..... but, I wouldn't worry TOO much about it. Unless you have a wreck and KILL someone..... you will NEVER be searched to THAT level! But, to be safe...... brush your teeth and get your rest without the use of alchohol based products! They CAN and HAVE been "abused" by people trying to skirt the rules.... and that is the reason FOR the rules!

Hobo
Old 07-17-2008, 07:00 PM
BANNED

Here is an easy way to solve this problem...... Don't drink any alcohol in your truck at all, or even drink alcohol while you are out on the road.....

Drink yourself silly while you are on your hometime....

If one " needs " a drink during their time out on the road.... You chose the wrong career then....
Old 07-17-2008, 07:34 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
Here is an easy way to solve this problem...... Don't drink any alcohol in your truck at all, or even drink alcohol while you are out on the road.....
That nails it right there.

Bottom line, while the regulations might say one thing, companies are going to be a lot more anal about it. Alcohol in a truck, whether officially charged or not, is going to be an immediate termination from most companies out there. And if you get terminated for having alcohol in the truck, no company in their right mind is going to hire you.

Leave the booze at home. That 6-pack in the cooler has no business being in your truck.