User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2008, 06:41 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoCorleone99
Easy there fella... Maybe I'm the one who missed the point, but yes I'm pretty sure the OP was trying to get Radio Ray all riled up. (greg3564 even gave you a hint on this one.)

I guess now that the original question seems destined not to run its course, I'll give you a hand. Generally speaking:
Mackman hasn't given anyone an indication that he would soon be "haulin chickens," the FCC doesn't often hang out at DOT stops, they don't often confiscate radios, and his ability to pick up a new one the next day (while hauling those chickens) would seem unlikely.

The last 'don't knock it' bit was a little more of that sarcasm that will pass you by from time to time if you're not looking for it. No worries.
Tanks Vito I owe ya one, he had me hook line & sinker ops:
Old 03-27-2008, 01:32 AM

He didn't "git" me: I had him pegged from the get-go! :wink: Sure, the "10 Meter" issue p---es me off, I won't deny that. What is being ignored is, tho, is that while *I* am the one who occasionally posts here about it, I am not the only one upset about it. There are discussions about it on other websites, particularly those devoted to amateur radio. There is a great divide on this issue amongst many licensed amateurs and those in the CB community. To the amateurs (often called "hams"), the lawless, unbridled, undisciplined CBers who often throw any thought of "rules" of behavior out the window are subjects of anger and derision, and it comes from this very penchant for ignoring any restrictions on their operations AND their not being hesitant at all to show up ON the licensed portions of the radio spectrum! To THEM, CB ops have "earned" this lack of respect and are often depicted as country bumpkins who smell bad and live in trailer parks. They also drive 'beat up old "Pony-acks" with twin "whups" and have roaches running out the wazoo!!! The hams also mock CBers general ignorance of electronics and make fun of their "SWR'zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" and coax length theories (all fallacies) as well as the prevalent southern hick accents and CB phrases and "cutesy" CB sayings. OTH, the CBers make fun of hams as being "elitists", clannish, and snobby. Now, we all know that these are just stereotypes that people use to denigrate ANY group another doesn't agree with. Yet the licensed folks DO have one thing on THEIR side: the law. FCC isn't going to come after the hams for using the 10 Meter band according to their privileges. They are, after all, permitted to USE it because their license equals permission to do so. They WILL come after CBers that DO! :cry: Dems just de facts!!!!!! The so-called "10 Meter 'amateur' radios" are against the law to use ON CB---PERIOD-----and against the law to use on ANY other band without the proper license or authority. MOST CB ops and truckers don't operate outside the 40 channels, and these aren't the people the licensed people resent; it's the OUTLAW CBer, the one that thinks he has to be (or THINKS he is because he has hold of a microphone) that tries to be the BIGGEST, BADDEST, loudest "reddio" station in 4 states. Actually, these guys end up being loud, their "leenyar" is strong............BUT! They are so distorted, over-driven, over-modulated that one can barely understand them! That, too, gets mocked by the hams that call them "chicken banders", which is a VERY derogatory term for these fellas. It will, likely, be applied to such outlaws who not only tread where they have no business, but also think it is FUNNY that it aggravates the legal guys.

But the old Fox Candy Company moves slowly, and not soon enough for those of us who EARNED our radio privileges instead of just stealing them from others. Part of the fault is that we are in a LOW propagation cycle (which translates to a CBer as "skip") that will begin to
rise, beginning a new 11 year upswing. This means that 10 Meters, along with the CB band, will begin to support long distance communications once again. During the lull of the last few years, of course, there have been more of the illegal "10 Meter" radios sold with an increase of users who have no idea they can't be talking on that band. After all, to them it is "quiet", and, thus, OK for them to use. But the hams will begin to hear THEM more, too. This will result in more and more complaints thru the Amateur Radio Relay League and more complaints to FCC. While there are some proposals on the table (including an outright BAN on the illegal "CB" radios), it won't gather steam until this occurs. (The current reduced numbers of truckers being HEARD by local hams as truckers pass thru their area= a kind of out-of-sight-out-of-mind mentality)----this will increase as they are heard by distant ham stations. As the drivers being to hear these distant stations, they, too, will become tempted to talk "skip"----which will afford more opportunities for the hams to observe them as they pass thru. All this increased traffic will add fuel to the fire to finally DO something against the trucking industry in the form of this BAN on so-called "10 Meter" radios in commercial trucks. This is actually the most logical step since it is the trucking industry that has been in the vanguard of operators transmitting illegally outside the CB band. It will come to a head at some point and the Fed WILL say, "Enough is ENOUGH" and it will not continue to be tolerated!

When will it happen? Can't say. I just know what's been told to me, and that there are people in the ham LEGAL community and the FCC itself that are trying to take steps against this criminal activity---and it IS a criminal activity since using a radio outside one's authority is against the law. It it, to me, taking WAY longer that I think it should, but I believe that things WILL be done to stop it because this activity will not stop at 10 Meters. They will move down into 12 and 15 meters, and the bootleg dealers will provide the equipment if ignored.

For some, it's "funny". For others, they think they have a "right". Others would like to see the illegal radios snatched OUT of trucks and set afire right before the owner's very eyes!

The solution for the driver is to simply stay OFF the 10 Meter (28 MHZ) band and the 12 meter band (24 MHZ). There is risk that YOU might be the one that gets caught. If they DO "gitcha", is it worth it should they issue a FINE to your company? I bet it wouldn't be! ops:

RR
Old 03-27-2008, 01:41 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioRay
Pitch me in A flat, please.........AH---HEEEEM! HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! Intro, Maestro, if you please! :lol: :lol:

Troll, troll, troll yer boat
Gently down the stream!
Merrily, merrily he MUST be bored,
Life is but a dream!

That troll smells, he needs a bath, and this dog's staying under the porch! :wink:

RR
I KNEW YOU WERE HUMAN!!
Old 03-27-2008, 01:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
He didn't "git" me: I had him pegged from the get-go! :wink: Sure, the "10 Meter" issue p---es me off, I won't deny that. What is being ignored is, tho, is that while *I* am the one who occasionally posts here about it, I am not the only one upset about it. There are discussions about it on other websites, particularly those devoted to amateur radio. There is a great divide on this issue amongst many licensed amateurs and those in the CB community. To the amateurs (often called "hams"), the lawless, unbridled, undisciplined CBers who often throw any thought of "rules" of behavior out the window are subjects of anger and derision, and it comes from this very penchant for ignoring any restrictions on their operations AND their not being hesitant at all to show up ON the licensed portions of the radio spectrum! To THEM, CB ops have "earned" this lack of respect and are often depicted as country bumpkins who smell bad and live in trailer parks. They also drive 'beat up old "Pony-acks" with twin "whups" and have roaches running out the wazoo!!! The hams also mock CBers general ignorance of electronics and make fun of their "SWR'zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" and coax length theories (all fallacies) as well as the prevalent southern hick accents and CB phrases and "cutesy" CB sayings. OTH, the CBers make fun of hams as being "elitists", clannish, and snobby. Now, we all know that these are just stereotypes that people use to denigrate ANY group another doesn't agree with. Yet the licensed folks DO have one thing on THEIR side: the law. FCC isn't going to come after the hams for using the 10 Meter band according to their privileges. They are, after all, permitted to USE it because their license equals permission to do so. They WILL come after CBers that DO! :cry: Dems just de facts!!!!!! The so-called "10 Meter 'amateur' radios" are against the law to use ON CB---PERIOD-----and against the law to use on ANY other band without the proper license or authority. MOST CB ops and truckers don't operate outside the 40 channels, and these aren't the people the licensed people resent; it's the OUTLAW CBer, the one that thinks he has to be (or THINKS he is because he has hold of a microphone) that tries to be the BIGGEST, BADDEST, loudest "reddio" station in 4 states. Actually, these guys end up being loud, their "leenyar" is strong............BUT! They are so distorted, over-driven, over-modulated that one can barely understand them! That, too, gets mocked by the hams that call them "chicken banders", which is a VERY derogatory term for these fellas. It will, likely, be applied to such outlaws who not only tread where they have no business, but also think it is FUNNY that it aggravates the legal guys.

But the old Fox Candy Company moves slowly, and not soon enough for those of us who EARNED our radio privileges instead of just stealing them from others. Part of the fault is that we are in a LOW propagation cycle (which translates to a CBer as "skip") that will begin to
rise, beginning a new 11 year upswing. This means that 10 Meters, along with the CB band, will begin to support long distance communications once again. During the lull of the last few years, of course, there have been more of the illegal "10 Meter" radios sold with an increase of users who have no idea they can't be talking on that band. After all, to them it is "quiet", and, thus, OK for them to use. But the hams will begin to hear THEM more, too. This will result in more and more complaints thru the Amateur Radio Relay League and more complaints to FCC. While there are some proposals on the table (including an outright BAN on the illegal "CB" radios), it won't gather steam until this occurs. (The current reduced numbers of truckers being HEARD by local hams as truckers pass thru their area= a kind of out-of-sight-out-of-mind mentality)----this will increase as they are heard by distant ham stations. As the drivers being to hear these distant stations, they, too, will become tempted to talk "skip"----which will afford more opportunities for the hams to observe them as they pass thru. All this increased traffic will add fuel to the fire to finally DO something against the trucking industry in the form of this BAN on so-called "10 Meter" radios in commercial trucks. This is actually the most logical step since it is the trucking industry that has been in the vanguard of operators transmitting illegally outside the CB band. It will come to a head at some point and the Fed WILL say, "Enough is ENOUGH" and it will not continue to be tolerated!

When will it happen? Can't say. I just know what's been told to me, and that there are people in the ham LEGAL community and the FCC itself that are trying to take steps against this criminal activity---and it IS a criminal activity since using a radio outside one's authority is against the law. It it, to me, taking WAY longer that I think it should, but I believe that things WILL be done to stop it because this activity will not stop at 10 Meters. They will move down into 12 and 15 meters, and the bootleg dealers will provide the equipment if ignored.

For some, it's "funny". For others, they think they have a "right". Others would like to see the illegal radios snatched OUT of trucks and set afire right before the owner's very eyes!

The solution for the driver is to simply stay OFF the 10 Meter (28 MHZ) band and the 12 meter band (24 MHZ). There is risk that YOU might be the one that gets caught. If they DO "gitcha", is it worth it should they issue a FINE to your company? I bet it wouldn't be! ops:

RR

how about channel 6/78?
Old 03-27-2008, 03:25 AM

how about channel 6/78? (quote)

?????????????????????????? What is THAT?

RR
Old 03-27-2008, 04:16 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
how about channel 6/78? (quote)

?????????????????????????? What is THAT?

RR

RR,

I purchased the technician manual and take my test next week.
So, Ill be justa hollering far yee thar Rayayayayay. Beep. :P
And It's all your fault. Over.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:29 AM
Board Regular

Quote:

RR
do you know why nothing is being done? Because no one cares. other than the "hams" sitting around talking on the radio.

I mean honestly with the advances in communication it still blows my mind that there are guys still sitting around in their basement trying to talk to people on the radio. pick up a phone. the transmission is a lot better and you don't have to deal with the illegals!!!

as for the fcc doing anything about it, I doubt it. with budget cuts and far more pressing issues than people talking on a radio freq that only hobbiest use. I mean come we have people illegally down loading music and movies and stealing cable. Have you seen the fines for stealing cable?

you can make all the laws and fines you want but if you cut the funding and the resources to enforce it then it really doesn't matter does it? :roll:
Old 03-27-2008, 04:44 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by got mud?
Quote:

RR
do you know why nothing is being done? Because no one cares. other than the "hams" sitting around talking on the radio.

I mean honestly with the advances in communication it still blows my mind that there are guys still sitting around in their basement trying to talk to people on the radio. pick up a phone. the transmission is a lot better and you don't have to deal with the illegals!!!

as for the fcc doing anything about it, I doubt it. with budget cuts and far more pressing issues than people talking on a radio freq that only hobbiest use. I mean come we have people illegally down loading music and movies and stealing cable. Have you seen the fines for stealing cable?

you can make all the laws and fines you want but if you cut the funding and the resources to enforce it then it really doesn't matter does it? :roll:
Isn't Arson a Felony? And just a little more serious than someone using a 10 meter?
Old 03-27-2008, 04:47 AM
Board Regular

"It's time to abolish the Federal Communications Commission.

The reason is simple. The venerable FCC, created in 1934, is no longer necessary.

Its justification for existence was weak 70 years ago, but advances in technology since then have eliminated whatever arguments remained. Central planning didn't work for the Soviet Union, and it's not working for us. The FCC is now an agency that does more harm than good.

Consider some examples of bureaucratic malfeasance that the FCC, with the complicity of the U.S. Congress, has committed. The FCC rejected long-distance telephone service competition in 1968, banned Americans from buying their own non-Bell telephones in 1956, dragged its feet in the 1970s when considering whether video telephones would be allowed and did not grant modern cellular telephone licenses until 1981--about four decades after Bell Labs invented the technology. Along the way, the FCC has preserved monopolistic practices that would have otherwise been illegal under antitrust law.

These technologically backward decisions have cost Americans tens of billions of dollars. "

"Abolishing the FCC does not mean airwave anarchy.
If the FCC had been in charge of overseeing the Internet, we'd likely be waiting for the Mosaic Web browser to receive preliminary approval from the Wireline Competition Bureau.
What it means is returning to bottom-up law rather than the top-down process that has characterized telecommunications for the last 80 years.

How to do it...
In his excellent 1997 book "Law and Disorder in Cyberspace," Manhattan Institute fellow Peter Huber describes how the privatization process could work. Huber proposes that the government sell off standard units of spectrum--10kHz for AM radio, 6MHz for television, 25MHz for cellular, 40MHz for PCS--using existing geographical contours for each type of frequency.

"Once the standard parcels are defined, they can be sold to the highest bidders," Huber writes. "To keep for how long? Forever. Just like land." If just one UHF (ultrahigh frequency) television station in Los Angeles were permitted to transfer its spectrum to a third cellular provider, Huber estimates, "the overall public gain would be about $1 billion, or so the government itself estimated in 1992." Wireless technologies would be huge winners, if the spectrum were privatized.

What if disputes over spectrum arose? The answer is simple. Whoever owned the rights to that slice of virtual real estate would locate the illicit broadcaster, march into the local courthouse and get a restraining order to pull the plug on the transmitter. Trespass is hardly a new idea, and courts are well-equipped to deal with it. "

"Beyond the economic cost of missed opportunities caused by regulation, it would also immediately save taxpayers $300 million a year."

http://www.news.com/2010-1028-5226979.html

I think the fcc has far more to deal with on its plate than a bunch of people playing on an outdated form of communication!
Old 03-27-2008, 04:54 AM
Board Regular