Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off duty logs

TruckerChris is offline Senior Board Member

Default Off duty logs

A couple months ago my company was audited and we had to change a few things around. The only one that bugs me is the off duty log page. I was taught in truck school and then did the same at gordon but now I'm supposedly doing it all wrong. Here's my question:

When you're off duty for 2 days I've always written 24 in the off duty line and then at the bottom written two days off. (example below)

Now, we have to write 48 hrs for 2 days or 96 for 3 days and so on. I thought that each page was for 24hrs and the listing at the bottom signified that you were off duty for 24hr for days listed below. I'm not really sure if I'm explaining this wrong, but hopefully you can figure it out.

Oh, and you're supposed to write "off duty in lincoln" which is our yard even though I live in a different city, rocklin.

Can anyone help me out?

Rev.Vassago is offline Guest Board Icon

Default Re: Off duty logs

Quote Originally Posted by kona911
    When you're off duty for 2 days I've always written 24 in the off duty line and then at the bottom written two days off. (example below)
    That is correct. You write the date spread on the top (the first day you were off duty, and the last day you were off duty), and you fill the rest out normally. A log covers a 24 hour period, therefore you should be entering 24 for the total hours line.

I noticed the log you have shown there doesn't have a place for that date spread. If this is the log your company currently uses, perhaps that is why they are indicating you have to write the total hours.

Oh, and you're supposed to write "off duty in lincoln" which is our yard even though I live in a different city, rocklin.
    This is correct. You indicate the city in which you went off duty. If you went off duty in Lincoln, you indicate it as such.

Uturn2001 is offline Senior Board Member
    East Central IL between the corn and the beans

None of the logs I used had any type of date spread on them.

I simply wrote the multiple consecutive dates I was off duty in the comments section.

If it was 2 days I wrote it like: Off Duty 01/11/08, 01/12/08

If more than 2 days I wrote it like:

Off Duty 01/10/08 through 01/14/08

and then the location I went off duty in.
    Finding the right trucking company is like finding the right person to marry. I really comes down to finding one whose BS you can put up with and who can put up wih yours.

TruckerChris is offline Senior Board Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uturn2001

I simply wrote the multiple consecutive dates I was off duty in the comments section.

but did you put down in the off duty line that you were off for 24hrs for those days or 48hrs?

kc0iv is offline Senior Board Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uturn2001

but did you put down in the off duty line that you were off for 24hrs for those days or 48hrs?
    You put 24.

Then show the days you where off.

kc0iv

Skywalker is offline Senior Board Member

Our company uses a log that is different than yours. Many companies use different formats. Its fine as long as it meets DOT requirements.

However they want it done is how you do it. My worry over it? 8)
    Forrest Gump was right....and some people literally strive to prove it.....everyday. Strive not to be one of "them".... And "lemmings" are a dime a dozen!

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Fredog is offline Senior Board Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker
    Our company uses a log that is different than yours. Many companies use different formats. Its fine as long as it meets DOT requirements.

However they want it done is how you do it. My worry over it? 8)

only problem I would have with that...you need to put where you first went off duty, where you spend the rest of the off duty time is nobodys business but yours

ajxsc is offline Rookie

show 24 in line one

down at bottom put two days

but then agian it all depends on who is doing the audit and what the company says to do.
    flag the city you stopped driving a truck in. no matter if you live 100 miles away where did you park your truck. log that city as off duty and then come back to line 4 to do PTI when you comer back to work.

Cat6869 is offline Member

General rule of thumb just incase you do the log incorrectly is to put the date range you are off for full 24 hour periods.

Example: I drive into home on 1-18-08, well I wasn't off duty that day "right". So my first day off for a full 24 hour period is 1-19-08. Now I return on 1-24-08. I worked on 1-24-08 so my off duty log range would be

1-19 through 1-23-08
    off duty
    City & state.
    This leaves no doubt of what days you are off on that log. The point of filling out one log sheet for more than 1 day is that you are "off duty" for full 24 hour periods and you can combine them on one log to save the time of writting out a log sheet for every day because the duty status has been the same for all those days.

Now understand there is a difference betweens lines 1 & 2.
    If you are @ a truck stop you are probably hanging out inside that truck stop. When you are inside that truck stop you should be logging line 1. Now you lay down for 4 hours, that time should be logged as line 2. If you are stuck at that truck stop for 2 days and going back and forth between eating/socializing and sleeping you would need to fill out a log sheet for both days to show exactly the status you was doing @ the time.

mdgardner963 is offline Member

It is a simple rule were you stoped is were your off duty and were you go back on duty is the same place. UNLESS you are working that day somewere else. you post the number of hours your off duty in total on line 1 on the top put the number of days in the date area.

Also write out each day on the bottom were comments area is and were your off duty at. THE EASY RULE IS MORE INFORMATION IS BETTER.

Mine have tons of info on them. And the CHP loves my logs. i keep a log, and on seperate paper times of stops when were. I put all that on my logs each time i stop. I do the latter part on paper because sometimes you stop at 10 mins after the hour. It allows them to see both Actual times and log times then there is no question of how your running...

The law states you must post it on your logs in a clear area of refence area. Pardon the TYPOS.. Big Dog Kicks
    Big Dog Kicks Terror on the road

ChikinTrucka is offline Member

The only problem with "more information" is it gives more room for errors and fines. I say less is better and I only give the bare minimum on my logs. For example, I never write in "total mileage today, Home terminal address, 'from' and 'to' locations, or RECAP" none of which are required. I also don't keep a record of the 70 hours/8 days on the back of the book.
    More to the point: If I go home on the 1st and take the 2nd and 3rd off then go to work on the 4th, I would log the place where I went off duty on the 1st. The next log page would say Feb 2 to 3, 2008 and would not show ANY locations since I am only required to show locations at "a change of duty". At the far right I would put 24ea. and for the total I would write 24ea. That way it's still a "24 hour log", and the "ea." clarifies that it is 24 for each day, not both days (like, DUH, I have to tell them?). I also use loose pages and if I make a mistake, I throw it out and re-do the whole page, so my logs always look nice and neat. I only keep 8 days of log pages with me, and each day when I start a new page, I take the 9th previous day and shove it into my pee bottle (if they want it bad enough...). I never have more than 8 total pages to show to any cop. Less pages=less potential mistakes. And the cops have looked at my logs, 4 times to be exact, and have never had a problem with them.
    It ain't what you haul, It's how you haul it!
    Keep the bugs off yer bumper and the bears off yer tail.
    Carry the message, not the sickness...
    http://eastcoasthoppers.com/

thebaldeagle655 is offline Board Regular

And this is the reason the company I work for requires us to turn in 1 log for each 24 hour period!! It all depends on how the auditor of the day interprets the rules. Different auditors see the rules different so we simplified it, if you are off 2 days, you turn in 2 logs, if you are off 9 days, 9 logs.

Double L is offline Senior Board Member

So pretty much to put this in simplier terms it should be like this:

2/17/08-1 day off duty St. Louis, Missouri

2/18/08-1 day off duty St. Louis, Missouri

Quote Originally Posted by thebaldeagle655
    And this is the reason the company I work for requires us to turn in 1 log for each 24 hour period!! It all depends on how the auditor of the day interprets the rules. Different auditors see the rules different so we simplified it, if you are off 2 days, you turn in 2 logs, if you are off 9 days, 9 logs.
    The law says you can use one log for multiple days off, there's nothing to misunderstand or interpret. It's pretty cut and dry. If a company wants one day per page, I don't have a problem with that, as long as they're buying the books.
    There's two things here; the law and what a company requires. They are very often different, I have found. But as long as what the company wants is within the boundaries of the law, I'm OK with that.

Default Re: Off duty logs

A couple months ago my company was audited and we had to change a few things around. The only one that bugs me is the off duty log page. I was taught in truck school and then did the same at gordon but now I'm supposedly doing it all wrong. Here's my question:

Now, we have to write 48 hrs for 2 days or 96 for 3 days and so on. I thought that each page was for 24hrs and the listing at the bottom signified that you were off duty for 24hr for days listed below. I'm not really sure if I'm explaining this wrong, but hopefully you can figure it out.

Can anyone help me out?

[img]http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s170/kona911/logbook.jpg[/img

]

f)(10) Recording days off duty. Two or more consecutive 24 hour periods off duty may be recorded on one duty status record

Default Off Duty status.

Quote Originally Posted by Double L
    So pretty much to put this in simpler terms it should be like this:

2/17/08-1 day off duty St. Louis, Missouri

2/18/08-1 day off duty St. Louis, Missouri

You don't even need to put in: "St. Louis, Missouri", because there is no change of duty. But do whatever your company wants.

Double L is offline Senior Board Member

Oh ok and I've seen a driver do it like this on one log:

12/18/08-12/19/08

2 days off duty

St. Louis Missouri

Cat6869 is offline Member

12/18/08-12/19/08

2 days off duty

St. Louis Missouri
    This is the simplier way

Quote Originally Posted by Cat6869

12/18/08-12/19/08

2 days off duty

St. Louis Missouri
    This is the simplier way
    I'm on vacation, my log will read; off duty 02-16 thru 02-24 which is also perfectly legal

(f)(10) Recording days off duty. Two or more consecutive 24 hour periods off duty may be recorded on one duty status record

golfhobo is offline Board Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Fredog
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat6869

12/18/08-12/19/08

2 days off duty

St. Louis Missouri
    This is the simplier way
    I'm on vacation, my log will read; off duty 02-16 thru 02-24 which is also perfectly legal

(f)(10) Recording days off duty. Two or more consecutive 24 hour periods off duty may be recorded on one duty status record
    This is the way I was taught, and I BELIEVE is the preferred wording in the REMARKS section.

You draw a straight line across line 1 and enter 24 in the box adjacent, and NOTHING in the totals box for the day (to keep from confusing the computer! :roll: )

Most logs will have a box at the bottom to show HOW MANY DAYS (times this 24 hour entry) are "included."

And, although the example in the J.J. Keller logbook doesn't show it, I was taught that you ARE required to enter the TERMINAL location out of which you are dispatched in the box at the bottom (where you normally show the shipper/commodity or manifest number.

It doesn't matter if you are "off duty"and vacatiioning in GUAM..... you enter the city and state of your assigned TERMINAL. This is because THAT is the BASIS of your logging TIMES. Midnight in Guam is not the same as midnight in Omaha, but your logsheet is based on your TERMINAL time.
    Remember... friends are few and far between.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.

22. This ad will disappear if you login

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast