User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2007, 10:25 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Length LAWS????

I haven't pulled a trailer in a couple years and I'm looking at getting back into it with goals of being an O/O. I keep looking at all the STATE sites and even the fmcsa site and I'm confused on the length laws.

Seems that ALL states have the 65 feet "combined total" before they go to "not allowed" roads.

If I'm pulling a 53ft trailer and my truck is a 280 or even a 230 wheel base, I'm too long for those roads........ How the hell do you stay under the 65ft limit to make drops in areas that require the use of those "restricted" roads??? Or are you just hoping that DOT isn't in the area?

Chop
Old 08-01-2007, 03:28 AM
Board Regular

What states are you looking at. I know in VT if you travel on certain roads and your vehicle is over length you need to apply for a permit before you drive on that road. If not hefty fine.

I have driven on a few roads in VA that I was not supposed to be on and then found out later If I got caught I would have had a nice fine. I should have gone 20 miles out of the way to be legal.

Good thing I didnt get caught. FNG if you know what I mean. If you buy a motor carriers atlas it should have all the info you need for states and what roads are restricted. I am off the road so I am sure a few more people will have a little bit more knowledge than me. But thats what I have seen so far.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:02 AM
Senior Board Member

When dealing with length, bridge settings, kingpin laws, etc, you often have two sets of limits.

You have the national network which consists of the Interstate System and US Highways.

Then you have the state routes/roads. These are roads that are designated by things like State Route 100 or MO 42.

Then you also have differences in listings for straight vehicles and vehicles towing trailers.

As far as the national network goes, there is a federal law that basically says if the state allows a certain length of trailer in the state then they can not limit the over all length of the vehicle.

There are a few states like VT and MD that require permits to pull a 53 foot trailer.

In addition most, if not all states, have laws that allow trucks to use roads if they have business on that road and it is the most direct route or most direct truck route to that site.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:50 AM
Senior Board Member

In addition to the length laws.....some states impose "width" limits on certain roads. The rules for each state and Canadian provinces can be found in the front section of the MCA on pages titled: State and Provincial Weight and Size Limits.

There are also areas where there will be local signs posted that are outside of the normal rules. Like US 27 or US 41 in the Chattanooga area where its posted that no trailers over 28' can use the road. I have seen the same in PA, and some other areas.

New York State used to be real hairy about it...length and width, as well as Massachusetts in certain areas....

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.