User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2007, 08:17 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default drug test and SAP

I failed a drug test but I am going threw the SAP program will any trucking companies hire me after I get done with the SAP program?
Old 07-25-2007, 08:42 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member
Default Re: drug test and SAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenntrucker
I failed a drug test but I am going threw the SAP program will any trucking companies hire me after I get done with the SAP program?
DOUBTFUL

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 07-25-2007, 08:58 PM
Senior Board Member

It may take a year or two after you completed the SAP program before any company will look at you, but that is better than never if you don't complete it.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:21 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Most companies, however, have a zero-tolerance policy.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:18 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: drug test and SAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenntrucker
hopefully not :!:

http://yankedriver.blogspot.com/
http://yankedriver2.blogspot.com/
Old 07-26-2007, 03:17 AM

Sorry but co.,s do not care about the sap program, as a matter of fact I don't know exactly who the sap program is for. Definitely not the employer so it is to show that a individual has gone thru a rehab program, whether they are rehabed or not they have documentation stating they wen't thru a rehab. Truly I would like to know someone who has been hired with sap paper work. When you present they papers the co. now knows you had a drug issue and they will not take a chance on you and above all the insurance carriers will not insure you. This does not mean you cannot get a trucking job just not by any major carriers or not by a dac subscribing co. Now, head up, eyes open believe in yourself and leave drugs alone; good luck.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiptwoo
Sorry but co.,s do not care about the sap program, as a matter of fact I don't know exactly who the sap program is for. Definitely not the employer so it is to show that a individual has gone thru a rehab program, whether they are rehabed or not they have documentation stating they wen't thru a rehab. Truly I would like to know someone who has been hired with sap paper work. When you present they papers the co. now knows you had a drug issue and they will not take a chance on you and above all the insurance carriers will not insure you. This does not mean you cannot get a trucking job just not by any major carriers or not by a dac subscribing co. Now, head up, eyes open believe in yourself and leave drugs alone; good luck.
You ask for someone who has been thru the S.A.P. program. Well I have. I failed the random drug test ( refused test - couldn't urinate ). Went thru the S.A.P. program which amounted to going to 6 meetings and paying 600 bucks. Plus, I was required to have six additional randoms done in the next year. I was offered 2 different jobs shortly after completing the program ( One was with a 600+ truck fleet ). Neither company had a problem getting me approved thru their respective insurance companies.

Maybe the big difference me and many others is: (1) I owned by own truck. (2) My age. I was over 55 years old. (3) Never had a history of drug use.

Since that first company I changed companies and the new company had no problem getting me approved thru their insurance company.

One other thing I might add is most of the major carriers are self insurance or have high deductibles. I guess what I'm saying I'm not sure it is the insurance that is the problem. I'm beginning to believe many companies use the insurance card as an excuse for other reasons to turn down applications.

kc0iv
Old 07-26-2007, 11:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
as a matter of fact I don't know exactly who the sap program is for.
The SAP program is part of the FMCSA regs and is required after a failed drug test if a driver is to have any hopes of driving again.

Granted, many companies will not want anything to do with someone if they have failed a drug test, especially for the first few years afterwards, but there are some, especially the smaller ones, who are willing to give a driver a chance.

I will say this though. I think drug test results should be made available for lifetime. This way companies will know for certain what they are getting into when it comes to hiring a driver.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Quote:
as a matter of fact I don't know exactly who the sap program is for.
The SAP program is part of the FMCSA regs and is required after a failed drug test if a driver is to have any hopes of driving again.

Granted, many companies will not want anything to do with someone if they have failed a drug test, especially for the first few years afterwards, but there are some, especially the smaller ones, who are willing to give a driver a chance.

I will say this though. I think drug test results should be made available for lifetime. This way companies will know for certain what they are getting into when it comes to hiring a driver.
Problem with the FMCSA regs on S.A.P. they make rule and then have now way knowing if the driver ever attends the program. There is no data bases showing anything about a driver's records. In the case of drug ( as well as any other information ) they rely on previous employers for this information. Many companies "cook the books" when it comes to driver's records. And short of a major lawsuit no one knows it is being done.

kc0iv
Old 07-26-2007, 02:41 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
You ask for someone who has been thru the S.A.P. program. Well I have. I failed the random drug test ( refused test - couldn't urinate ).
How did this happen? I can understand going to a drug test and not being able to urinate at that moment. But, I would wait however long it takes and do whatever to give them my sample. I wouldn't jeopardize my job and career because I had trouble urinating.

I don't disbelieve you at all about your NOT using drugs, but how did you get a refused test? Does the drug testing lab only give so much time? Was it a reasonable amount of time(eg. 2-4 hours, but not 24 hours!)?

I have been drug tested many times and I haven't had this problem. I do know that it can happen, but how much time were you giving?

Thanks,