User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default New training requirements?

The DOT has some new training standards on the slate. From the press release:

Now I assume that the CDL mills had a hand in drafting this, and none of them will lose their lucrative grants. But are there any thoughts on mandatory training?
    Old 01-12-2008, 04:08 AM
    Senior Board Member

Well the true mills do not offer even that. I am talking about these programs where you have to study all the written stuff yourself and either show up with the learners permit or be ready to take the written tests the first or second day of school. After that you spend the next 2 weeks or so doing a little range work and some behind the wheel and then test out.

Most of your better companies are requiring a 160 hour course at the very least. Most of those courses are broken down into 80 hours classroom and 80 hours behind the wheel/ range work. Of course this still may not mean much if the student to instructor and equipment ratio is very high as you will end up spending most of that time just watching.

Those training guidelines would be a start but IMHO they do not go far enough.

160 hours with a max of 3 students per truck and instructor would be better and also a mandated 20-30 hours of actual behind the wheel would be a lot better yet. This is just to get your CDL. Then have a requirement of 200 hours minimum of OTJ training of logged driving time where the trainer must log the same amount as On duty in the same time blocks.
    Old 01-12-2008, 07:28 AM
    Board Regular

I don't think it goes far enough myself. I think my training was 280 hrs. Can't remember how much as BTW, but I think it was probably about 30-40.
    Old 01-15-2008, 08:37 PM
    Board Icon

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Uturn2001
    Well the true mills do not offer even that. I am talking about these programs where you have to study all the written stuff yourself and either show up with the learners permit or be ready to take the written tests the first or second day of school. After that you spend the next 2 weeks or so doing a little range work and some behind the wheel and then test out.

Most of your better companies are requiring a 160 hour course at the very least. Most of those courses are broken down into 80 hours classroom and 80 hours behind the wheel/ range work. Of course this still may not mean much if the student to instructor and equipment ratio is very high as you will end up spending most of that time just watching.

Those training guidelines would be a start but IMHO they do not go far enough.

160 hours with a max of 3 students per truck and instructor would be better and also a mandated 20-30 hours of actual behind the wheel would be a lot better yet. This is just to get your CDL. Then have a requirement of 200 hours minimum of OTJ training of logged driving time where the trainer must log the same amount as On duty in the same time blocks.
    Well.... since joining this board, I have always considered that "I" went to a CDL "mill." I guess NOT! My course was 160 hours (was told it was a requirement) and we had only 3-4 students per truck on any given day.

I agree with Uturn, that these "guidelines" do not go far enough! I have never liked the fact that a person could study the manual, pass the tests, and borrow a truck to test out! Where, in that scenario, is the TRAINING??

Actually, I thought this thread was about REQUIRED training and credentials to "BE" a "trainer!" Now THAT is something I can get behind!

As usual, the FMCSA is too far behind the curve on what is needed! With "rulings" like this, it is no wonder that Public Citizen and others are so scrupulously watching our Federal Regulatory Agency!! :roll:

I took to driving a truck like a duck takes to water, and even "I" thought 4 weeks was a MINIMUM!! The drivers I've met on the road who, even after MONTHS of training, can't PARK, or sometimes DRIVE a truck in a safe and efficient manner is ASTOUNDING!!

You can bet I WILL have some "comments" on this ruling! Thanks, GMH for bringing this up and providing the LINK!

Our LIVES and our LIVELIHOODS depend on the industry doing everything it CAN to ensure that the drivers of big rigs, ESPECIALLY OTR, are well trained and COMPETENT! To DO or "lobby" for LESS, is a breach of contract with public safety! It is pure GREED!!

I am FOR HOS regulations (but would like to see them "rationalized.") I am FOR drug testing (but would like to see it "liberalized" where it doesn't apply to working hours).... but I am most definitely behind STANDARDIZED and ADEQUATE training for drivers (AND trainers!)

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.