User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2008, 11:44 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Team Logging Questions

Ok, I drive a dully w/ a 50ft car trailer. I make runs from Jersey to FL and back a couple times a month. I have a buddy that wants to get into this biz and I'm wondering if he's riding/driving how we can log this? Currently I log ALL non on/driving hrs as OFF, never any sleeper. So far I haven't had any issues or questions with this. BUT...being that there would be another driver, could I still log OFF even when the truck is moving with him driving? I'm sure this is going to peak some smartass comments and I know better, but I had to ask. Just wondering with 2 people, if you could still simply log off duty with both people and be ok!

Thanks for the readying yet another dumb question!

chop
Old 01-02-2008, 04:30 AM
Senior Board Member

If you're in a hotel or something, you would both be showing off duty, but if one driver shows driving the other would have to account for being in the truck. If you're in the truck, you are either driving or in the sleeper. Those are your only two options, according to the law.

What can you get away with? I don't have a clue. Maybe some team drivers can help there, but the regs are very clear on a team driver riding in the passenger seat.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 01-03-2008, 03:16 AM
Board Regular

I pulled a 3 car trailer with a crewcab ford for a couple of years. You'd better not let the DOT know if you are catching your naps in that truck. Its not legal. There HAS to be a sleeper with certain dimensions, mattress, etc. in order to log sleeper. You CANNOT team a truck with no sleeper. If one driver is not in the SLEEPER, he's on duty as long as that truck is moving, no matter who's driving it.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
If you're in the truck, you are either driving or in the sleeper. Those are your only two options, according to the law.
Sorry, but you are only partially correct. You can also log On duty Not driving. This is what you are suppose to log if you are riding in the passenger seat.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:43 AM
Senior Board Member

FMCSA REGS SLEEPER BERTHS
Old 01-03-2008, 04:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Quote:
If you're in the truck, you are either driving or in the sleeper. Those are your only two options, according to the law.
Sorry, but you are only partially correct. You can also log On duty Not driving. This is what you are suppose to log if you are riding in the passenger seat.
I meant to say "either working or in the sleeper." Correction noted.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:27 AM
Default Re: Team Logging Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkChop81
Ok, I drive a dully w/ a 50ft car trailer. I make runs from Jersey to FL and back a couple times a month. I have a buddy that wants to get into this biz and I'm wondering if he's riding/driving how we can log this? Currently I log ALL non on/driving hrs as OFF, never any sleeper. So far I haven't had any issues or questions with this. BUT...being that there would be another driver, could I still log OFF even when the truck is moving with him driving? I'm sure this is going to peak some smartass comments and I know better, but I had to ask. Just wondering with 2 people, if you could still simply log off duty with both people and be ok!

Thanks for the readying yet another dumb question!

chop
If you are on the truck you are either in the sleeper, driving or on-duty not driving.

1) if you are off duty you are NOT on the TRUCK @ all@
2) if you are in the sleeper you are in the sleeper (does not mean you are sleeping, just the fact your body is in the sleeper.
3) if you are behind the wheel, you are on line 3 "driving".
4) if you are sitting in the passenger seat while "someone" is driving the truck, you are on-duty not driving.

If you are training and the driver is behind the wheel you "must" log line 4 time.

I hope this helps somewhat?
Old 01-07-2008, 03:25 AM
Senior Board Member

you can be a team co-driver and be riding in the passenger seat and logging -- Off duty; there's no rule preventing this. But, this is a quick way to end up with ticket for --false logging. Example- you roll thru a scale house and you're showing as being "in the sleeper"- but they see you in the "jump seat"---there's a quick ticket. With the new HOS rules- this could become a new "hot topic". Or, if your co-driver gets pulled over for something- you need to be - in the right area of the truck- because your log book is required to be current to the "last change of duty status"-- this includes coming out of the sleeper berth and jumping in passenger seat. Only a trainer performing
"training duties" is required to log "on duty- not driving' when in the jump seat.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg
you can be a team co-driver and be riding in the passenger seat and logging -- Off duty; there's no rule preventing this. But, this is a quick way to end up with ticket for --false logging. Example- you roll thru a scale house and you're showing as being "in the sleeper"- but they see you in the "jump seat"---there's a quick ticket. With the new HOS rules- this could become a new "hot topic". Or, if your co-driver gets pulled over for something- you need to be - in the right area of the truck- because your log book is required to be current to the "last change of duty status"-- this includes coming out of the sleeper berth and jumping in passenger seat. Only a trainer performing
"training duties" is required to log "on duty- not driving' when in the jump seat.
No, actually you can't log "off duty" if you're in the truck.

Found here.

Quote:
Question 13: What is the duty status of a co-driver (truck) who is riding seated next to the driver?

Guidance: On-duty (not driving).
Pursuant to this definition:

Quote:
On duty time shall include:...

(4) All time, other than driving time, in or upon any commercial motor vehicle except time spent resting in a sleeper berth;

Old 01-07-2008, 07:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoCorleone99
Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg
No, actually you can't log "off duty" if you're in the truck.

Found here.

Quote:
Question 13: What is the duty status of a co-driver (truck) who is riding seated next to the driver?

Guidance: On-duty (not driving).
Pursuant to this definition:

Quote:
On duty time shall include:...

(4) All time, other than driving time, in or upon any commercial motor vehicle except time spent resting in a sleeper berth;
thanks for the update; Guidance--- times chance.

so; The driver that once challenged it- claiming:

(1) OFF-DUTY. Except for time spent resting in a sleeper berth, a continuous line shall be drawn between the appropritate time markers to record the period(s) of time when the driver is not on duty, is not required to be in readiness to work, or is not under any responsiblity for performing work.

That doesn't work anymore?

or the another driver who successfully argued the passenger seat was part of the Sleeper under 393.76(b)(2)?
.....A sleeper berth installed on or after January 1, 1953 must be located IN THE CAB or immediately adjacent to the cab....

See, that used to be the only way you could stagger back from the Bar---drunk off your ass and climb into your truck--the cops would set and watch for the dumb drivers who just partied at Southern Comfort--Conley, Ga and climbed into their trucks Driver Seat---because the rules used to read---the driver's seat was the only seat that's ON DUTY or preparing to be Driving. The rule of that day was always climb into your truck--drunk on the passenger side.

Also, unless they've revised the definition of "on duty"---does it still read?:

395.2 On Duty Time means all time from the time a driver begins to work(meaning the start of his/her 14hour 'clock')or is required to be in readiness to work until the time the driver is relieved from work and all responsibility for performing work......
If, you haven't started your 14hour work clock or 'shift'--you haven't came on duty---yet.

I was reading the other day where teams were asking DOT this very question; about stopping at a rest area---if it interruped the co-driver's 8hr
sleeper berth break( wife needed to pee ) the DOT stated the rules were
not that Draconian and they understood that from time to time people do come out of the sleeper for potty breaks, etc. They also asked if, co-driver could log combination off-duty/ sleeper for a full 10hrs( while the truck was moving) and DOT said yes!

and last but not least; the OP stated he was driving a duelly pickup truck pulling a car hauling trailer.......unless the combination exceeds 26,000 pounds--he's not even defined as a CMV-----and doesn't need a CDL (there's still a big gray area here)
since there's no need for CDL's--- I'd just say he's your cousin or brother-in law and is just along for the ride.