LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2017, 11:54 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default ELD's.

The clock is ticking on complying with the current elog ruling. Owners are supposed to have them installed by December 18th. There are exemptions. If you have a truck with an engine manufactured before 2000, you are exempt from the law. So, those who have a glider kit with an engine made before 2000 are exempt, even if the truck itself is new. Initially, the exemption was based on the year of the truck. Some carriers are attempting to force owner operators leased to them to install ELD's, even if the owner operator is exempt. I would appreciate hearing from those who are leased to a carrier that is trying to force them to comply regardless of current law.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:40 PM
Board Icon

I never drove having to do paper logs minus my week with a trainer plus the 1 night my Qualcomm screen want kaput. ELD is not bad at all. It's so easy to know where your clock is without having to do quick math. "You can't fudge it like paper logs." Total BS, you can fudge it all you want. You can make it illegal or legal just like with paper logs. The only difference, paper logs can disappear! I prefer ELD, less stress and headache on which log book is right when DOT asks for it.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:59 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If we are to continue having to deal with the HOS, it should be an option. Those who wish to install ELD's in their equipment should be able to do so. Anyone who prefers using paper logs should also be able to continue using them. Other than the intrusivness of ELD's, cost is also a factor. I can buy 3 years of paper logs for about the same cost as one month's service fee with an ELD. That doesn't include the initial cost and installation of the unit which can run from about $700 to about $3,600
If you lease to one carrier then go to a different carrier you may also be forced to purchase a new ELD that is compatible with the new carriers system. This is likely to be much more expensive for owner operators who lease to a carrier. I expect a lot of owners to leave the industry when full implementation goes into effect.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:32 AM
Board Icon

Fair point on the costs. I know we just recycle used ELD's. Brand new truck.......the ELD is from a 2011 truck we just traded in and removed the ELD from. Can an O/O do that, nope not as easy and costly.

Intrusive in what way? That it will nark on you for cooking the books? That it geo tracks you?

I like the time saving vs having to take the time to pull out my straight edge and mark lines, flag locations. My location can change 3 times over a 30 minute period, that many flags is hard to do in such a small area! But, that 30 minutes with paper logs can now be 45 real minutes I've burnt as I take the time to do all the marks and flags. ELD, I just hop in and move on.