User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2007, 04:49 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

That is the whole point I was trying to make

Alot of the laws that are there are not always the written the best. I have to do more looking into the laws so I can get a better understanding and so that if I run into a log violation that I know is farse, then I can have a better chance at fighting it.

I had a 14 hour violation when I was with Swift that I was never able to clear. I had gotten stuck on 140 heading to Klamath Falls, when I had ignorantly pulled my chains off BEFORE climbing the final hill before heading into town. Of the chains I had, I had 3 break on me, and I ended up chaining up one drive and one trailer tire (2 is better than none).

I then was towed up the hill and was told by OSP to get to the Wagon Wheel truck stop in Klamath Falls. So, under their direction, I did just that. Swift was aware of that, and after fighting with them over the issue, they still pinned me with it citing that I did not get a business card from the OSP Trooper that was there with me.

I went over my 14 by 1 hour (I spent 3 hours stuck), and still was legal, and it was stated as so on my logs... If I would have really pushed the issue and read up on the legalities, I would not have had this issue.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:42 AM
Board Regular

I haven't started yet but trying to bone up on the reg and logging, so bear with me on this. Can someone give a quickie explanation on what the 60/70 and 7/8 mean. I'm having a problem understanding when the 34 hours has to start. Does this mean that I'm sitting on my ass for 34 hours every week, at some point? I guess what I'm asking is what has to happen for me to be forced to sit on my thumb for 34 hours.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:55 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaJim
I haven't started yet but trying to bone up on the reg and logging, so bear with me on this. Can someone give a quickie explanation on what the 60/70 and 7/8 mean.
You cannot drive after you have accumulated 60 hours in 7 days (if the carrier does not operate 7 days a week), or 70 hours in 8 days (if the carrier operates every day of the week). This means that, even if YOU don't run every day of the week, but the carrier has trucks on the road every day of the week, you go by the 70/8 rule.

Quote:
I'm having a problem understanding when the 34 hours has to start.
It can start whenever you want it to. It is not mandatory, but must consist of Sleeper Berth, Off Duty, or any combination of the two.

Quote:
Does this mean that I'm sitting on my ass for 34 hours every week, at some point? I guess what I'm asking is what has to happen for me to be forced to sit on my thumb for 34 hours.
It is not mandatory, but is a way to reset your 60/70 hour clock to zero.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:29 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
I haven't started yet but trying to bone up on the reg and logging, so bear with me on this. Can someone give a quickie explanation on what the 60/70 and 7/8 mean.
You cannot drive after you have accumulated 60 hours in 7 days (if the carrier does not operate 7 days a week), or 70 hours in 8 days (if the carrier operates every day of the week). This means that, even if YOU don't run every day of the week, but the carrier has trucks on the road every day of the week, you go by the 70/8 rule.
That's funny, listening to the BBR's one would think 60/70 is the average speed you log going through any big city and 7/8 is what you log on line 1 or 2 when you sit in the dock for that long. :P
Old 01-20-2007, 05:09 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:

Quote:
I'm having a problem understanding when the 34 hours has to start.
It can start whenever you want it to. It is not mandatory, but must consist of Sleeper Berth, Off Duty, or any combination of the two.

Quote:
Does this mean that I'm sitting on my ass for 34 hours every week, at some point? I guess what I'm asking is what has to happen for me to be forced to sit on my thumb for 34 hours.
It is not mandatory, but is a way to reset your 60/70 hour clock to zero.
So if I drive 69 hours in 8 days then I don't need a 34 restart? Or is there a restart every 8 days regardless. Can the restart be avoided or is it mandatory every 70 hours? I'm assuming the 70 hours means 70 hours of driving time.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:22 PM
Board Regular

A 34 hour reset is optional, you can take it any time. I used to take a 34 every weekend at home, regardless if I had 40 hours or 70 hours on duty time for the week.

The 70 hour rule is a combination of all time on line 3 and 4.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:01 PM
Board Icon

NevadaJim wrote:

Quote:
So if I drive 69 hours in 8 days then I don't need a 34 restart?

Might NOT, if you have hours from the first of those 8 days to carry over.

Or is there a restart every 8 days regardless.

NO. There is not.

Can the restart be avoided or is it mandatory every 70 hours?

Yes. It can be avoided by not "burning" up all your hours in less than 8 days. i.e. having some to add back into the pot.

I'm assuming the 70 hours means 70 hours of driving time.

NO. It is a total of lines 3 and 4 (as was said) but a violation ONLY occurs if you DRIVE past the 70 hour point.
Now... let's start OVER, shall we?

You cannot DRIVE if you exceed 70 hours of ON DUTY (3 & 4) in 8 days.

There are TWO ways to get hours back. The "rolling" method is this:

At the end of seven days, add your TOTAL hours worked 3 & 4. Let's say that comes to 65 hours. Subtract from 70, and you have 5 hours that you can DRIVE on your 8th day. You MAY work more on line 4, but then you have to add both lines together to show how much you have WORKED in 8 days.

If this total exceeds 70, you cannot DRIVE the next day, until you get more hours back at midnight of that day.

However, if you've NOT exceeded 70, at midnight of the 8th day, you count your total hours worked for the past 7 days including today. That means you get BACK the hours you worked on the 8th day back! Take this NEW total of 7 days worked, and subtract from 70. That is how many hours you can DRIVE the next day, provided you have not exceeded 70 hours INCLUDING all 8 days. (the 8th day back STILL counts against your 70 rule.)

Okay.... THAT's clear as MUD! :shock: :lol: I'll come back to that!

The RESET method is this:

When you have come close to, or exceeded 70 hours TOTAL worktime in 8 days or LESS, you can - at anytime- begin a 34 hour reset to get ALL 70 of your hours back! Your NEW 8 day period and 70 hours begins as soon as your reset is over. [This can OFTEN be gotten by adding your 10 hour break following a day of driving/working to a 24 hour "layover."]

Now, back to the difficult "rolling" method: You are allowed to drive 11 hours/day, right? But, NOT indefinitely! Let's use 10 hours a day. If you drive/work TOTAL 10 hours a day for 7 days.... you are maxed out. On the 8th day, you cannot DRIVE. Might as well take a 34 hour reset as to sit for 24 just to get ONE day's hours back. [And... if that day happened to be sitting waiting for a load, you might get ZERO hours back.]

Now, if you use the method given to us by Crackaces some time ago, you can LIMIT your activities (or AVERAGE them out) to 8.75 hours TOTAL work per day. 8.75 X 8 days = 70 hours in 8 days. At midnight you will get back 8.75 hours to work or drive the next day. If you can manage your time well enough, you could keep this up INDEFINITELY without having to take a reset OR sit for a day. [MY luck, the day I get back 3 piddly hours, my dispatcher would want me to drive 11!]

Personally, I wouldn't want to tell my dispatch that I can't make a Thursday delivery because I will ONLY work 8.75 hours a day! I THINK he will want you to "burn asphalt" and get 'er done..... THEN tell him you are out of hours and must take a reset before he dispatches you another load.

I HOPE I have cleared this up for you. In short.... you CAN manage your time and keep running 365 days a year.... but it is not usually feasible. More likely, you will be taking 34 hour resets whenever you can get one, to get ALL your hours back.

Just remember: 11 hours / day = 70 hours in JUST over 6 days! 14 hours / day = 70 hours in 5 days! What you gonna do for the other 3 days?

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:17 PM
Senior Board Member

It's even worse for Canadian drivers, we're allowed 13 hours of driving time in Canada!
Old 01-20-2007, 09:57 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh
It's even worse for Canadian drivers, we're allowed 13 hours of driving time in Canada!
And the SAME 70/8 rules???? :shock:

FINALLY!!!!

I'm gettin SICK of getting the "banned" message that YOOPR says isn't happening!!! I posted that 6 times before I got it through!!!

Thank GOD I didn't lose another of my LONG posts!!!! :roll: :roll:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh
And the SAME 70/8 rules???? :shock:

FINALLY!!!!

I'm gettin SICK of getting the "banned" message that YOOPR says isn't happening!!! I posted that 6 times before I got it through!!!

Thank GOD I didn't lose another of my LONG posts!!!! :roll: :roll:
I have started copying my post before submitting them.