User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default doctor prescribed zyban

zyban is an anti depressant drug,but it is also used for other things. I thought as a CDL holder you cannot be on an anti depressant drug. Does anybody have more info on this. I am not taking for depression, but just wondering.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:39 PM

Zyban (Wellbutrin) isn't on any of the narcotics schedules referenced by the FMCSR's so I'm not sure how it would be prohibited. Furthermore, it won't show up on a drug screen.

There are some companies thatr won't allow most medications, but how they know you are taking them I have no idea. Furthermore, you could probably cover yourself with a note from your doctor explaining that the medication is prescribed for smoking cessation (I presume that is the reason, that is Zybans big seller.)
Old 10-10-2006, 11:38 PM
Senior Board Member

As far as the FMCSA is concerned a driver can take any medication prescribed so long as it does not pose a safety risk.

As far as some companies are concerned there are pages of medications they will not allow a driver to take.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:16 AM

thanks for the replies. I just thought depression was a disqualifier until it was under control and since zyban is depression drug I figured it might be a problem. Where can I find the list of prohibited drugs.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:09 AM

The prohibited substances are vaguely enumerated (which is to say by catagory not specific drug) in CFR 391.41(b)(12)

As for depression drugs, they are not prohibited. However, depression may be a disqualifier, depending on a companies interpretation of CFR 391.41(b)(9)

"(b)(9) Has no mental, nervous, organic, or functional disease or psychiatric disorder likely to interfere with his/her ability to drive a commercial motor vehicle safely;"

This is an area where a letter from the treating doctor often comes in handy.

Since you don't suffer from depression, this should be a non issue. However, admitting that you are taking an antidepressant may well send up a red flag. Again, a letter from the treating physcian explaining the reason for the prescription would likely solve any problems.

for a full rundown of medical qulifications, see http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...ction_toc=1781
Old 11-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Senior Board Member

If you look at any pills, even Tylenol has the disclaimer that it may cause dizziness, nervousness, etc. They all do this for legal reasons.

If it were me I wouldn't admit it to anyone except a DR. Others may disagree.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4545 View Post
i can recommend a reputable pharmacy (zyban) - requestpills.com i received the order and it was on time and the pills work great.
P.s. 5% discount coupon code: 9sh73h

spam!!!