Thread: How much log history must you keep????

old relic is offline Rookie

Default How much log history must you keep????

Way back when I started trucking we only had log books - looseleaf logs were unheard of. Back then I always kept my current book and the last on preceeding that one, giving me at least a 30 day history at all times.

Now I use looseleaf logs (best thing since sliced bread). Anybody know how many days of history I must have if my logs are checked??????

THANKS in advance.

Old Relic

Sabine is offline Board Regular

only the previous 7.....keep the others in a nice safe and not so obvious place. By all means show what you must, but why give anyone a reason to really start looking at stuff.

GMAN is offline Administrator Board Icon

The carrier must keep them for 6 months, as I recall. It would be good for you to hang onto your logs for tax purposes. You can get a tax deduction for those days you are on the road. Your logs are proof of that time.

Rev.Vassago is offline Guest Board Icon

Quote Originally Posted by GMAN
    The carrier must keep them for 6 months, as I recall. It would be good for you to hang onto your logs for tax purposes. You can get a tax deduction for those days you are on the road. Your logs are proof of that time.
    Sorry, but you are wrong.

For a DOT audit one year (required of the carrier)
    For the driver 7 days (required of the driver)
    For the IRS 7 years (required of the driver, in case of an audit)

I still have ALL my logs - 10+ years worth.

I need to check on the one year for a DOT audit. I thought they told me that it was 6 months. I know a carrier who recently went through a DOT audit and they were told that they only needed to keep logs for 6 months. In any case, I tend to be a pack rat when it comes to paperwork. I even have bank records from well over 30 years ago. :shock:

yoopr is offline Board Icon

1 yr. I believe

Useless is offline Senior Board Member

One Year for DOT is what I remember, but I wouldn't put too much stock in what I remember!!

How does the saying go??

First, you forget names,
    Then, you forget faces,
    Then, you forget to zipp 'em up.....
    ....But lately, I've been forgetting to zipp'em
    DOWN!!!! :shock: ops: ops: ops: ops: ops: ops: ops: ops: ops: ops: ops: ops: ops: ops: ops: ops: ops: ops:

I have tried numerous times to access the FMCSA website to no avail. Now you have my curiosity up. I need to make sure of this myself. Has anyone else had a problem getting through to their website today?

Sandspur is offline Rookie

Default logs

I also use the loose leaf log sheets. I am no expert by any means. My log sheets are mfg. by Keller and they actually say on the log sheet that you keep the previous 8 days .........

Quote Originally Posted by GMAN
    I have tried numerous times to access the FMCSA website to no avail. Now you have my curiosity up. I need to make sure of this myself. Has anyone else had a problem getting through to their website today?
    I haven't been able to get in all day either

syl77dar is offline Board Regular

good luck

Windwalker is offline Board Icon

I've had several carriers tell me they have to keep log pages for six months. For DOT, in the truck, it's your current day and seven consecutive previous days. For income tax, it's seven years. But, if you don't claim the $42/day meal allowance, you don't have to keep them for taxes.

The company I'm with just went through an audit last week. I can call the safety director on Monday and check with him, but I'm sure it's six months.
    Destroy the cities...
    and they will rebuild them.
    Destroy the farms...
    and grass will grow in the streets of the cities.

Destroy the economy of the blue-collar worker...
    and grass will grow in the executive offices.

The bill has come due.
    ( R E T I R E D , and glad of it)

Rokk is offline BANNED Senior Board Member

As a company driver you only need to keep your previous 7 days duty status available for any inspections. Company drivers turn in log sheets with trips to company. company has to keep logs minimum of 6 months archive.

If your using your logs for tax purposes at end of year (per-diem etc, etc.) then you will keep them a minimum of one year, as for the tax man cometh your going to want totreat them like reciepts and keep them 7 + years in case of audits but i am sure no need for longer than 10 years.

For them that collect per-diem each paycheck there is no need to keep logs for tax man at end of year.

This whole thing could be different in an Owner operator case.

I am basing what i am saying here off what my safety guy stated at the company i work at. so it could vary company to company except the previous 8 days for the driver and the minimun 6 months held by company.

FMCSA website is back up, and GMAN is right - kind of.

Under part 396.3, it does indeed state that record of duty must be retained by the carrier for 6 months.

HOWEVER, under part 385, it states that during an initial 18 month safety audit, one of the things they check is driver record of duty status - so if you are tossing your driver's logs after 6 months, then you don't have one of the required documents for the audit.

FURTHERMORE, under part 396.3, it states that the Drivers Vehicle Inspection Report must be kept by the carrier for a minimum of one year, and for 6 months after a vehicle is no longer in the carrier's fleet (part 396.11). Since the vehicle inspection report is usually attached to the log, by default, you are keeping the logs for one year.

So it is a cloudy area, and technically, we are both correct.

I called OOIDA earlier today and spoke with Jerry in compliance. He found it in 395.8, K-1. According to what he found, the carrier needs to keep driver logs for 6 months from receipt. I assume that means from the time the carrier receives the logs. We talked for a bit and he also informed me that it may be necessary to have logs to substantiate IFTA records. I don't recall him finding that in the rules, but I will need to do further research. When I couldn't get into the Federal website, over the weekend, I went into my state website, as well as a couple of other states. Some records must be kept as long as 4 years in my state. Some of these rules are cloudy and difficult to locate. I think that I will keep them a while longer to be safe. I think we all should have realized that it would not be as clear as it should since it involved the government. :?

marcel27208 is offline Senior Board Member

OK for Dot it is 6months and for tax purposes it is 3 years!!

Myth_Buster is offline Member

For Safety Purposes:

?395.8 Driver's record of duty status.

(i) Filing driver's record of duty status. The driver shall submit or forward by mail the original driver's record of duty status to the regular employing motor carrier within 13 days following the completion of the form.

(k) Retention of driver's record of duty status. (1) Each motor carrier shall maintain records of duty status and all supporting documents for each driver it employs for a period of six months from the date of receipt.

(k)(2) The driver shall retain a copy of each record of duty status for the previous 7 consecutive days which shall be in his/her possession and available for inspection while on duty.
    For Economic Purposes:

Appendix A to Part 379

SCHEDULE OF RECORDS AND PERIODS OF RETENTION

Item and category of records Retention period

K. SUPPORTING DATA FOR REPORTS AND STATISTICS

2. Supporting data for periodical reports of accidents, inspections, tests, hours of service, repairs, etc. 3 years.
    Be safe.

19. This ad will disappear if you login