Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Mercer Van Divison? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/41832-mercer-van-divison.html)

Tobytob 09-22-2011 08:26 PM

Mercer Van Divison?

Any Info on the Van Division? Is it similar to Landstar division. i was told Mercer pays more % then Landstar. But that all I know...

Tobytob 09-24-2011 12:32 AM

Not a soul? Anyone home?

Allan M 09-28-2011 11:45 AM

Based on posts I've read on other boards most guys over there that tried switching to vans said that the
money was much less than when they pulled flatbeds for the same company.

GMAN 09-28-2011 11:54 AM

I don't think that Mercer has many vans. They mostly pull flats. If I were wanting to pull a van and lease to a carrier I would look at Landstar, Schneider or one of the other major van carriers. I don't believe that Mercer has very much van freight.

JohnHenry 09-29-2011 06:49 PM

I was with Mercer a little over 2 years and most of their van freight is from brokers. They have few van shippers so you sit a lot and the pay isn't so great. I would go with LandStar since Schneider is too cheap and nit picking.

Scottt 09-29-2011 10:28 PM

Dumb question here..............What is the advantage of leasing on to a carrier as opposed to getting your own authority and doing your own thing??

What's Landstar 72% and you still have to pay your own plates and insurance and fuel tax?

GMAN 09-30-2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottt (Post 503602)
Dumb question here..............What is the advantage of leasing on to a carrier as opposed to getting your own authority and doing your own thing??

What's Landstar 72% and you still have to pay your own plates and insurance and fuel tax?

The advantage to leasing to a carrier is that most will have shippers and agents to keep you moving. Leasing to a carrier means that they pay all cargo and liability insurance. Most carriers will require you to pay for your own base plates, but may finance them for you so you only pay a small amount out of your weekly settlements. Leasing to a carrier such as Landstar is similar to running your own authority. You will still be responsible for finding your own loads and all the expenses of running your truck. Running your own authority offers you much more flexibility. You can get your own loads and find your own shippers or brokers. Rather than another carrier paying for the insurance you will be responsible for paying your cargo and liability insurance. You will need to front the money for your base plates since most states don't finance them for you. Getting your own base plates would likely result in paying less since some carriers will add a fee to the cost when they finance them for you.

If you have a good reserve fund, common sense and a head for business, you may be better off running your own authority. I think that for most, it is better for them to first lease to another carrier to get some experience on running a truck. Running your authority requires more initiative than leasing to a carrier. There is a little more paperwork, but not much. When you have your authority there is no safety net. Leasing to a carrier may enable you to have a backup should you have a major breakdown or get into a financial bind.

I prefer running my own authority. I do have friends who have given up their authority to lease to another carrier. It gives them a little more freedom from the paperwork.

Tobytob 09-30-2011 07:36 PM

Thanks for the Reply, I'm still in the process of checking on these two carriers Mercer and Landstar. Ran across a couple few weeks ago, who made Mercer Van division sound like the best apple on the tree, thats why I come here because I know, Most here will give it to you straight.

Heavy Duty 10-01-2011 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottt (Post 503602)

The only insurance you pay is comp. on your equipment , not cargo and liabilty.

Leasing to a top quality carrier gives you the chance to haul freight for customers than would never talk to a small or one truck company, they also don't allow their freight to be brokered. Go make a cold call on Lockheed Martin,Pratt and Whitney, GE,NASA or the auto makers. Good luck even finding the door, let alone getting your foot in it.

You may be surprise what some freight pays when your pay is based on what the customer pays, not what some broker is willing to give you. There are many drivers leased to carriers that do better than running under their own authority with a lot less hassels.
High value cargo insurance can be a problem for a one truck operation.

BanditsCousin 10-01-2011 02:35 AM

I pay for my own cargo insurance as a leased driver. Just sayin'.