User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2014, 02:49 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default new? used?

soon-ish my truck and trailers are paid off and i'm thinking about getting another truck. here is where i'm at with it. i run heavy though pa twice a week. on the light side i'm 77700 but normally 79-80k gross. i do it twice some times 3 times a week. can't say i'm going to stay with this work forever but never know. i can't complain at all about my cat. the truck is way underpowered and has been flawless for me. granted i'm anal about the maintenance with it. oil changed every 15k, air filter 3 times a year, run the overhead every 250k etc. anyway, this is what i'm thinking:

if new.. new meaning glider i'd love a 386 pete with a 6nz cat, but apparently peterbilt does not sell the glider configuration for cats.. only detroit. as much as i don't want a long hood i'd consider a 389 with a 6nz. would be speced the same 550 6nz, 3.58 rears, 13 speed and a lopro 24.5's

if used it would be from 04-07:

i want to stay away from freightliner so i'm pretty open. if i could find another MBN cat i'd have 0 hesitations. but you couldn't give me a ACERT cat. anyway, it'd prob be a ISX. 475+hp. i'd like to find gearing like mentioned above.

so... opinions? comments?
Old 12-03-2014, 02:05 PM
Senior Board Member

I was scared of a new truck for awhile with all the emission stuff on it. But i think the emission stuff have come a long way. I know my Mack runs great and so far not one issue at all. The truck is only 4 months old so still alittle to soon to tell. I was going to buy used but I wanted i truck for 10years. So starting off with a truck thats already 7-8 years old wouldn't of really worked for me. I wouldnt be afraid of a new emission truck.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 12-11-2014, 03:28 AM
Senior Board Member

I hear nothing but horror stories myself about the emissions trucks. and.. if they're better on fuel don't it all equal out after you put the DEF in?
Old 12-11-2014, 05:53 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The DEF is not cheap. When your truck is in the shop you are not making money. Big payments and too much time in the shop would discourage me from buying a new or newer truck that had the DEF. I will stick with my older, reliable trucks that are paid for and not worry about the new truck smell. Even if you do get better fuel mileage (and I have heard both sides of that story), with the cost of DEF and time in the shop, I think most will spend more to maintain one of the new that you would see in any fuel savings. The truck that I primarily drive gets almost 7 mpg on average.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Sometimes people buy a new truck for other reasons then the new truck smell. I had to buy something cuz this is my best year in business and uncle sam would kill me come tax time. Like i said Emissions is the future weather you like it or not. Its not going to go away. and pre emission trucks are already 8 years old. So sooner or later your gonna have to update to emission truck if you want to stay in business. Unless you want to run a fleet of trucks that are 20+ years old.

As far as fuel mileage i never broke 5. always 4-4.5. But im local and im always in it. I never drive for fuel mileage. So i think my foot has alot to do with it lol. My saying is... They sell fuel everyday at the pump lol

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 12-16-2014, 08:12 PM
Rookie
Cool new? used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird_1252 View Post
soon-ish my truck and trailers are paid off and i'm thinking about getting another truck. here is where i'm at with it. i run heavy though pa twice a week. on the light side i'm 77700 but normally 79-80k gross. i do it twice some times 3 times a week. can't say i'm going to stay with this work forever but never know. i can't complain at all about my cat. the truck is way underpowered and has been flawless for me. granted i'm anal about the maintenance with it. oil changed every 15k, air filter 3 times a year, run the overhead every 250k etc. anyway, this is what i'm thinking:

if new.. new meaning glider i'd love a 386 pete with a 6nz cat, but apparently peterbilt does not sell the glider configuration for cats.. only detroit. as much as i don't want a long hood i'd consider a 389 with a 6nz. would be speced the same 550 6nz, 3.58 rears, 13 speed and a lopro 24.5's

if used it would be from 04-07:

i want to stay away from freightliner so i'm pretty open. if i could find another MBN cat i'd have 0 hesitations. but you couldn't give me a ACERT cat. anyway, it'd prob be a ISX. 475+hp. i'd like to find gearing like mentioned above.

so... opinions? comments?
Hey Firebird, checkout D&B Trucks Equipment they sell pete & KW gliders with pre emission cat power offering a 4yr/unlimited mileage warranty. (www.dandbequipment) and just so you know depending on who you go thru you can get a glider wired for a cat, cummins, or det power. ive been studying glidrs for awhile now and want one myself. hopefully the first of the year. good luck! p.s chk Kustom Trucks out in Washington state.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:55 PM
Senior Board Member

DEF isn't that expensive when you consider how far it goes on a 20 gallon tank. I've had my truck (2015 Freightliner Evolution) for 3 months and it's taken $374 worth of DEF. My overall fuel mileage is 7.21mpg. I've had tanks of fuel that got me over 10mpg, and others that were at 5.5. It just depends on the weight and where it's going. I've had no issues with the emissions in the truck, either, nor have I heard any horror stories on the DD15 engine/emissions. I've heard the exact opposite from drivers with 2015 Kenworths with the Paccar engine. In fact, during orientation, one of the other lease-operators in my class had to get a new truck because the emissions blew out on it during his road-test on a truck with less than 100 miles on it.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrun70 View Post
Hey Firebird, checkout D&B Trucks Equipment they sell pete & KW gliders with pre emission cat power offering a 4yr/unlimited mileage warranty. (www.dandbequipment) and just so you know depending on who you go thru you can get a glider wired for a cat, cummins, or det power. ive been studying glidrs for awhile now and want one myself. hopefully the first of the year. good luck! p.s chk Kustom Trucks out in Washington state.
i've actually seen them and thought about calling. from what i was told is that the 386 only comes wired for a detroit and from what i've seen, its true. the only 386 gliders i've seen are fitzgerald. all detroits.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
DEF isn't that expensive when you consider how far it goes on a 20 gallon tank. I've had my truck (2015 Freightliner Evolution) for 3 months and it's taken $374 worth of DEF. My overall fuel mileage is 7.21mpg. I've had tanks of fuel that got me over 10mpg, and others that were at 5.5. It just depends on the weight and where it's going. I've had no issues with the emissions in the truck, either, nor have I heard any horror stories on the DD15 engine/emissions. I've heard the exact opposite from drivers with 2015 Kenworths with the Paccar engine. In fact, during orientation, one of the other lease-operators in my class had to get a new truck because the emissions blew out on it during his road-test on a truck with less than 100 miles on it.

i'm hearing people with glider kits with detroits getting a average of 7. no headaches either. i'm avoiding emissions at all costs for now. like i said i run heavy.. a lot, and across pa. if i can keep my fuel milage (or gain) and also gain a bit of time that would be great. i'm currently getting anywhere from 5-5.5 mpg right now.

now on flat ground my truck will get 6.25-6.5 with ease.

i'm considering putting my truck on the road with a driver and buying something else for me. maybe not new but we'll see.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:35 PM
Senior Board Member

If I had the money, I'd love to go with a pre-emissions glider kit. Even though my truck is doing good now, I don't want to know the costs involved with the exhaust filter cleaning/replacement down the road. I *think* I'm going to stick with short-term leasing for the time being until I can build my capital enough to look at buying my own.